Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Empowering Woedica should be some grand event, though. Not only that, but you are essentially her champion now, so where are my consequences, Obsidian? I didn't drown the Dyrwood in blood just for a pat on the back. Also, why aren't the other gods mad at me? Wasn't the entire point of their blessing for me to stop the empowerment of Woedica? Very lame, Obsidian, very lame.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,in the begining the game is great,the archmage mansion is pretty fun,but his quest chain is half-arsed and unfinished,just like most of the quest chains. Later on the wholes and rushed development become obvious. IT is really sad,such a great opportunity wasted.

So basically just like the first game, where they frontloaded all the best content almost right at the start, and the quality kept dropping lower and lower as you progressed.
Well PoE had Skaen level later on,here it depends what have you explored first. The two good levels are in the main city,the necropolis and the old city(just don't go down from the gulag lift,it will fuck up your quests.). The other dungeons are not very impressive,very small and kind of pointless. Just a few rooms with enemies and some "unique" vendor trash.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Guys, I want to play a melee, dual class chanter. Want to have one or two summons and to use some of the fast cast offensive spells.

What would be the best second class? I'm thinking either Paladin (more of a support character), barbarian or fighter.

I'm leaning towards barbarian because I like to play characters with good mobility (barb has the sprint and the leap) and because he has some nice offensive abilities.

In terms of stats, I'm thinking relatively low might and high dexterity. I want lower recovery time and high action speed. Is that viable or is might the way to go?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
There's a lot of it even if it's cosmetic. But I don't think anything else to be expected. What did you expect, a whole different dialogue tree with every companion based on choices in previous game? That's impossible from resource stand point.

If they hyped it, the shouldn't have, because any game that tried doing something similar ended up with same cosmetic stuff.
I expected it to be that way.
Still, it doesn't change the fact that they went for poor flavour.

Take the main quest for instance. It's relatively disjointed from the world narratively (unfortunately), and was the perfect opportunity to put reactivity there, while remaining free to simply give the player some nods in the rest of the game.
Main quest concerns all gods, it shouldn't have been hard to offer different sequences (which bring you to the same point either way, if you really want it to be flavour only) telling a different story depending on your choice in the first game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they revealed at some point that this was their initial intention, but for some reason (VO could be one), they decided to make it a unique and same story for all.
Think about it : the main quest as it is, is a typical go there, then go there, then go there quest. It would have costed (well, VO aside) nothing to simply change the divine interlocutor depending on your choices in the first game. Strengthen Woedica, and turn every "god moment" into a discussion with her with all the other gods obsequiously nodding to everything she says. Betray a god, and have him get extra mad at you during these sequences.
This is just flavour too, but in a more compelling form I guess.
Woedica being empowered should change these interactions between the gods a great deal.

I think they're just not making a good use of the main strength of the CYOA sequence for the main quest. The point is that you can setup any kind of situation without having to spend ressources to actually put it 3D in the game. It was the perfect occasion to go wild on reactivity flavour, but they didn't.
As I said, VO could be the reason. But that would imply that full VO was decided relatively early (could be the case), because then, it'd make it extra expensive.

Empowering Woedica should be some grand event, though. Not only that, but you are essentially her champion now, so where are my consequences, Obsidian? I didn't drown the Dyrwood in blood just for a pat on the back. Also, why aren't the other gods mad at me? Wasn't the entire point of their blessing for me to stop the empowerment of Woedica? Very lame, Obsidian, very lame.
This, yeah. Even if it only concerns the gods meeting CYOA sequences. It's blatantly lacking.
Skaen says something like you'll be her favored, and believe me it comes with great perks hehe or something. Meh.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
having now spent over 13 hours on this i can safely say that poe2 is at the very least much better than the garbo that was poe1

at least i feel like launching this game and doing stuff as opposed to its banal predecessor

there, you can put it on the codex steam curator

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah after what now 2 years? Also Imagine being fat cuck Feargus that kept telling that Turn based shit does not sell... then making game (that apparently does not sell as well as game you ripped features off) with checklists stolen from turn based top selling hit game (although shitty) DOS2.
"Ree I did all the right moves! Reee
T:ToN has barely any combat in it. It's a storyfag game that was pitched as a storyfag game, and the main reason it sold shit it is one of the same reasons that PoE2 is floping: turgid uninspired purple prose. The joke is that you managed to ignore all the red flags that most people detest RTwP, which is another reason why the game is floping. BG fanboys declined even further into PoE-nuObsidian fanboys. It will be a sad sight when this cRPG Renaissance meme wears off, the publishers finally understand that Obsidian means bad business an the rest of humanity go back to their FPSs. The gravy train will stop and these incompetent popamole studios playing of making isometric games for casuals will close their doors.

Why are you seeding with rage lurker king ?
If I can do anything to help you alleviate the pain, I will.
Rage? Do you call this rage? You have no idea what real rage looks like, fanboy. The decline and degeneracy of cRPG players is the fuel that ignates the gems of hatred.

EjgtErM.jpg

tripedal

Augur
I'm having trouble with the quest in that underwater place where the engwithans created gigantic animals...can't get the "find the machine" part of the quest to trigger even though I've found all the pylons. Am I missing something?

Sentinel

Arcane
People shitting on Roxor for not knowing about the combat speed dial, but that is actually a fairly important aspect of the game - the tutorials suck donkey balls. They explain some mechanics but the combat UI goes completely ignored. For someone new to the genre they'll have a very hard time (not to say impossible) figuring out what is going on. Wouldn't surprise me if people think the combat is too chaotic because a lot of them simply don't know about the slider or what the numbers/icons mean.

I think they're just not making a good use of the main strength of the CYOA sequence for the main quest. The point is that you can setup any kind of situation without having to spend resources to actually put it 3D in the game. It was the perfect occasion to go wild on reactivity flavour, but they didn’t. As I said, VO could be the reason. But that would imply that full VO was decided relatively early (could be the case), because then, it'd make it extra expensive.
CYOA segments are just like firearms and ships. They are features that Sawyer wanted to see as full-fledged features in his personal game, but can’t do because he is stucked doing a BG clone which he obviously despise. I can’t blame him. The result is that you have all these trinkets that remind us of Darklands and a dream of historical cRPG, but they have no real substance or impact. It encapsulates perfectly what PoE franchise is about. A bunch of stuff that adds flavour but has no impact in the gameplay, which is a superficial and messy snoozefest.

Parabalus

Arcane
Am I the only one who plays the combat in fast mode? It's bugged and doesn't auto deactivate like PoE1 so I just leave it on, didn't seem to fast to me at all.

Morkar Anyway, the first game's guidebook did indeed claim that Rauatai was "tropical". There's no sign of that in the second one, though. Sounds rather inhospitable, actually:

Maybe it's been retconned, or maybe we still don't fully understand the map.

The secretary muses that Rauataian storms might also be Engwithian, this guidebook also kinda hints at it, so they could dump any climate on the region and explain it away as soul magic.
Now that the real topic has been mentioned (Skaen), are there consequences for empowering Woedica?

Didn't notice any, Woedica doesn't even treat you nicer, like Ondra/Abydon according to WM. There are even two occasions where it would make sense to remove/lower a check but nada.

Reactivity to the choices in the first game is almost non-existant.
I got a particular item for respecting Berath's will in the first game, some people mention here and there that I sided with the Doemenel, Arkemyr mentions that he doesn't want to be the third archmage to die (yet gives you work anyway ?)
It's just flavour and some items mostly. I think you get curses for betraying gods, but I've read here and there that it fades away eventually.

I'm not sure why they hyped it, to be frank. I guess it's because it took them a lot of time to do, even though it's just flavour (I mean, it does check a lot of things for the savefile), so that gave them the impression that it was a big deal.
It's not.

EDIT : Also, I couldn't take the mace in Woedica's shrine. I guess that's the reward for empowering her ?

I needed 16 RES and 15 INT (or similar) to take it, I empowered her. It sucks though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How's the level of content padding in this? The number of trash mobs in PoE1 was a big turnoff.
I haven't seen real PoE-style trash mobs yet, but I've done little free roaming.

this game has no sea shanties, it's shit
I've had them sing yesterday when they were at 54 morale or so.

tbh i dont even how much of a clusterfuck this combat is

all dudes move at least x2 faster than they should

combat starts, suddenly 98347693769349 effects followed by 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' over every combatant's head

all of this with various colourful explosions going off everywhere as well

meanwhile i'm stuck in the middle of this disco and wondering wtf is even going on
It's either simple and fun combat rules and a clear interface, or complex combat rules and a messed up interface.

BTW, for those interested in the subject, GOG's most popular game continues to be "Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire", followed by "Pillars Of Eternity: Deadfire - Obsidian Edition". This is for I don't know how many days in a row. Possibly since release.

People shitting on Roxor for not knowing about the combat speed dial, but that is actually a fairly important aspect of the game - the tutorials suck donkey balls. They explain some mechanics but the combat UI goes completely ignored. For someone new to the genre they'll have a very hard time (not to say impossible) figuring out what is going on. Wouldn't surprise me if people think the combat is too chaotic because a lot of them simply don't know about the slider or what the numbers/icons mean.
The irony is that they keep defending the game from obvious criticisms and this just hurts their chances of success even more. They should be thankful that a quality player like Roxor would heroically endure this horrible game and still have some stamina left to provide some actual feedback. It certainly better than Something Awful cocksucking doorknobs and deluded people here pretending that this game is a new masterpiece. *Shrugs*.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The sales confirm what I was thinking was going to happen - people tried PoE1, found out it isn't as great as it could've been/the genre isn't for them/lol, isometric/it's too hard or too easy/story is nonsensical mish-mash/whatever and the novelty wore off. Maybe we can't have nice things after all, but it's hard to judge because we need a really good entry in this genre in the mainstream, which I don't think we've had. Age of Decadence and UnderRail are too niche and not enough people have even heard of them. It's frustrating to think about, tbh, Obsidian are trying to cater to an audience that simply doesn't exist and grognards, who are the actual audience, get to PIRATE THE shit.
Fix it for you ;).

duanth123

Arcane
Yeah the game picks up after an impressively bad first impression, and I'd say I've enjoyed the exploration and some of the combat/quests, but the underlying problems persist at least through the 8 hours I've played.

Dialogue/characters are cringey when not outright caricatures of nu RPG npcs

As for quests, I can't count the number of times I have walked into two characters loudly discussing the basis for my next sub quest.

This is the first rpg where I've actively played a reserved asshole MC just to distance myself from all the so random degeneracy occurring in my party and surroundings. Xoti's getting the bullet in a very near future.

Humorously enough, there are frequently "no response" dialogue options, where your MC just waits for others to finish their obtuse long winded explanations. I appreciate the nod to those who'd rather not play some snarky and/or feckless fetch boy, especially in the setting.

The combat is a total clusterfuck at times, given the # of enemies with ranged attacks. I've found an off-tank mitigates this issue somewhat, as you can split enemy groups into discrete screen spaces. You still need to build for perception in low to mid game on POTD.

UI is gud, tooltips are great.

Much of the location design btfos POE, although I'd still say map and dungeon size feels cramped and sterile in comparison to the IE games. Doesn't really replicate the tabletop equivalent for me of exploring a large dungeon.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can't you just highlight everything and get the pop-up like we did back in the old days?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Now that the weekend is almost over and the game still struggle to go over 20k players online, we can safely say that the game bombed harder than Bill Clinton's family reunion. By my calculation, I can say the game sold between 130-150k, gog and steam included.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Umm, is this a bug, or did I just not understand how "party assistance" with skills work?
When I talk to Jacob Harker, there is a red option that requires 3 Streetwise. When I hover over that symbol, it says that I have "0 Self" (which is correct) and "0 party assist". Eder however has 3 Streetwise, Serafen 2, and I have both in my part right now. Bug, I guess?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom