Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

mondblut

Arcane
What writing? You mean you actually read the merc bios or something? :lol:
The setting.

JA2 text content is "The 80s campy action movie tropes and oneliners: the game". Which is all the text a monocled game needs, really, but you are among the last persons on the Codex I'd expect to be content with that.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
JA2 text content is "The 80s campy action movie tropes and oneliners: the game". Which is all the text a monocled game needs, really, but you are among the last persons on the Codex I'd expect to be content with that.
You are right about that. I enjoy some good skill/stat checks and narrative choices in dialogues. That being said, I think they made JA2 atmospheric and immersive as fuck. I will try to articulate this later on.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Second thing is don't dictate the story, let the players interact with it. I still think you can tell a good dictated story, but you might be missing the opportunity for the player themselves to bring something to it that makes it even better
Chris Avellone , Taking this advice to RPGs, is it really practically achievable to have serious reactivity within the main plot? If yes, what is the secret, besides the obvious "double the budget!" :) I guess it was relatively easier though still pretty difficult, to do back when assets were a smaller fraction of the whole budget and the budget overall was smaller. The only more modern RPG I can think of that does this is Witcher 2. Dragon Age Origins has some "token" main plot reactivity in the last hours of the game, which translated into differing epilogue conversations with companions and ending slides.

Well they could have included the other characters without the original writers but I can understand not doing so.
In my opinion it shouldn't have been a problem for a competent writer to continue writing of Durance and Griveing Mother in Deadfire, but they simply didn't think those characters would fit. Also, you can't easily sell the idea of either of them being bisexual, which may also have been a consideration, who knows...

Trashos

Arcane
In my opinion it shouldn't have been a problem for a competent writer to continue writing of Durance and Griveing Mother in Deadfire, but they simply didn't think those characters would fit. Also, you can't easily sell the idea of either of them being bisexual, which may also have been a consideration, who knows...

I think Durance would be exceptionally difficult for another writer to continue without making a fool out of him/herself one way or another.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I have never met Cleve (unfortunately), and I have not had a chance to pay any of his games (unfortunately) but that's not by choice, I don't have time to play a lot of games, as I may have mentioned before. I like people who make games, granted I'm biased, but that means by default I have a positive opinion of him.
Thanks for responding. I guess we misunderstood teddy bears need to stick together.

Indranys

Savant
RPS says that the game is about "colonialism mixed with exploitation of natural resources" but says the story is very bad because it "suggests the complicity of the natives." Could Sawyer have balanced too far ...?
Meh, resources. I hoped for something like buying native slaves from natives. Help a tribe of natives to capture another tribe and sell them all to colonialists, split profits. That would make sjw channels explode.

So RPS doesn't know jackshit about colonialism yet dare to criticize the game on that front?
As far as I know, local native authorities almost always joined hand in hand with foreign colonisers, either as the musclemen for their foreign masters or relatively more equal business partners.
What I find interesting is how those native-coloniser relations shaped the socio-cultural structure of post-colonial states in my region, which emerged after WW II.

The native fuckers whose kings, princes, chiefs or sultans chose to kiss colonisers' asses without much struggles are perceived as cucked unreliable losers until these days.
Their ethnics or tribes has no to little prestige in the eyes of other groups.
This honourless social hierarchy are usually reserved for the majority of Easterners around Molucca, Halmahera and shit, the Papuans, some Malay sub-ethnics in Southern Sumatera, almost all the migrant Chinks, Madurese and the Batak Clans.

Those people whose ancestors were fighting the good fight but lost rather retardedly are positioned as the middle grunts such as the Ternate bros, the Bugis of Gowa-Tallo and others, the Bantenese, Sundanese, ex-Srivijayan decadent bastards, some special Jakartan snowflakes cocksucking faggots, etc.
The top are assigned for those whose kingdoms were unconquered, stood high and proud, or at least lost in honourable battle/spectacular fashion against the albino men and their hordes of local race traitors.
Acehnese and the Balinese are acknowledged as these few honourable elites. That's why they act like pricks most of the time,
demanding speshul autonomy, privilege, forcing the others to heed their Adat, and begging for exclusive safespace in their special provice/isle/dirt.
Well, tens of thousand of those Balinese did kill themselves in hopeless mass ritual suicide against the Dutch, Acehnese did much worse than that. I can't blame them if they need some compensations after that edgy shit. Too bad we're all now trapped in this crazy poorpiss nationalist shithole.

No popamole lootboxes for you fellas, join us as we're kissing the golden Garuda's asshole.
The government's logic is flawless indeed, just keep saluting at the majestic flag folks! Somehow your retarded mentality, starvation and poverty will be magically cured by the powah of pure patriotism! :lol:

The best joke is, those losers just don't understand that the game is rigged.
The Javanese and fucking matriarchy of Minang were the real playas.
They were (and still are) pulling some Avon Barksdale shit so they too can be place at the top of holy Nusantaran Hierarchy, despite histories of shamful defeats and deceits.

We're the Fathers of our multikultural glorious nation giuse, the first Nationalists, so we should be ranked at the top too!
Never mind that the eastern Javanese were the Dutch's fucktoy for hundred of years. But it's all redeemed.
We're all unconquered Mataram boys since forever now!
The mighty fierceless Holy Realms of Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat and its beloved siblings the Pakualaman Dominion and the Sunanate of Surakarta will keep the foreign mongrels from our ancestral lands.
We're totally the top dog like those champs who defended their kingdoms' independence until they starved themselves to death!

:outrage::bunkertime::happytrollboy:

Fuck now I know why alcohol is absolutely haram.
I swear to God I'll stop drinking these cheap fucks.

:drink:

Fuck.
Good day to you all men. :salute:
God Bless MCA.
Fuc

Cael

Arcane
RPS says that the game is about "colonialism mixed with exploitation of natural resources" but says the story is very bad because it "suggests the complicity of the natives." Could Sawyer have balanced too far ...?
Meh, resources. I hoped for something like buying native slaves from natives. Help a tribe of natives to capture another tribe and sell them all to colonialists, split profits. That would make sjw channels explode.

So RPS doesn't know jackshit about colonialism yet dare to criticize the game on that front?
As far as I know, local native authorities almost always joined hand in hand with foreign colonisers, either as the musclemen for their foreign masters or relatively more equal business partners.
What I find interesting is how those native-coloniser relations shaped the socio-cultural structure of post-colonial states in my region, which emerged after WW II.

The native fuckers whose kings, princes, chiefs or sultans chose to kiss colonisers' asses without much struggles are perceived as cucked unreliable losers until these days.
Their ethnics or tribes has no to little prestige in the eyes of other groups.
This honourless social hierarchy are usually reserved for the majority of Easterners around Molucca, Halmahera and shit, the Papuans, some Malay sub-ethnics in Southern Sumatera, almost all the migrant Chinks, Madurese and the Batak Clans.

Those people whose ancestors were fighting the good fight but lost rather retardedly are positioned as the middle grunts such as the Ternate bros, the Bugis of Gowa-Tallo and others, the Bantenese, Sundanese, ex-Srivijayan decadent bastards, some special Jakartan snowflakes cocksucking faggots, etc.
The top are assigned for those whose kingdoms were unconquered, stood high and proud, or at least lost in honourable battle/spectacular fashion against the albino men and their hordes of local race traitors.
Acehnese and the Balinese are acknowledged as these few honourable elites. That's why they act like pricks most of the time,
demanding speshul autonomy, privilege, forcing the others to heed their Adat, and begging for exclusive safespace in their special provice/isle/dirt.
Well, tens of thousand of those Balinese did kill themselves in hopeless mass ritual suicide against the Dutch, Acehnese did much worse than that. I can't blame them if they need some compensations after that edgy shit. Too bad we're all now trapped in this crazy poorpiss nationalist shithole.

No popamole lootboxes for you fellas, join us as we're kissing the golden Garuda's asshole.
The government's logic is flawless indeed, just keep saluting at the majestic flag folks! Somehow your retarded mentality, starvation and poverty will be magically cured by the powah of pure patriotism! :lol:

The best joke is, those losers just don't understand that the game is rigged.
The Javanese and fucking matriarchy of Minang were the real playas.
They were (and still are) pulling some Avon Barksdale shit so they too can be place at the top of holy Nusantaran Hierarchy, despite histories of shamful defeats and deceits.

We're the Fathers of our multikultural glorious nation giuse, the first Nationalists, so we should be ranked at the top too!
Never mind that the eastern Javanese were the Dutch's fucktoy for hundred of years. But it's all redeemed.
We're all unconquered Mataram boys since forever now!
The mighty fierceless Holy Realms of Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat and its beloved siblings the Pakualaman Dominion and the Sunanate of Surakarta will keep the foreign mongrels from our ancestral lands.
We're totally the top dog like those champs who defended their kingdoms' independence until they starved themselves to death!

:outrage::bunkertime::happytrollboy:

Fuck now I know why alcohol is absolutely haram.
I swear to God I'll stop drinking these cheap fucks.

:drink:

Fuck.
Good day to you all men. :salute:
God Bless MCA.
Fuc
I see that pancat gila still has much more work to do...

:troll:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Failure rate for networks goes up when network admins are hired and network availability goes down. With no admins, research shows network remains viable, longer up time and better access for all company members.

https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/know.your.sysadmin

Code:
                               SITUATION: Poor network response.

TECHNICAL THUG: Writes scripts to monitor network, then rewires entire
machine room, improving response time by 2%. Shrugs shoulders, says,
"I've done all I can do," and goes mountain climbing.

MANIAC: Every two hours, pulls ethernet cable from wall and waits for
connections to time out.

Guess your sysadmin wasn't enough of a maniac.

Last edited:

Lorenzen

Augur
Done.

Official theme song:

Chris Avellone looking back, what do you think would be the ideal cut-off point for you from Obsidian? What would the best moment to tell Feargus you've had enough of his crap and that you're leaving because of it and pursue the work that truly makes you happy in a healthy environment? When did you realize what that is?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
what do you think would be the ideal cut-off point for you from Obsidian? What would the best moment to tell Feargus you've had enough of his crap and that you're leaving because of it and pursue the work that truly makes you happy in a healthy environment? When did you realize what that is?

In one interview, he said his entire time at Obsidian was a waste so the answer would be "after Planescape Torment shipped.". :M

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Y8KRFz3.jpg

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Montgomery "InXile is a shithole company" Markland. Thread is in retardoland so I can't link it.

Cael

Arcane
Montgomery "InXile is a shithole company" Markland. Thread is in retardoland so I can't link it.
Isn't he the guy that is the subject of this thread? The fella going around trying to drum up support for his lawsuit against a company when he himself put a foot through the contract using the longest of bows, false accusations and infantile logic?

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
The very same. He's included in the above moreso for his other legendary drama thread, though they both share the theme of reformation I suppose. Needless to say he's earned his place alongside Cleve and MCA in my very prestigious and exclusive meme.

Cael

Arcane
The very same. He's included in the above moreso for his other legendary drama thread, though they both share the theme of reformation I suppose. Needless to say he's earned his place alongside Cleve and MCA in my very prestigious and exclusive meme.
I don't know. MCA and Cleveland seems OK. Markland seems off the planet and his lawsuit in that thread looks like it is going to be a bust. If I were the judge, I would certainly slap it down and say HE breached the contract as defamation, slander and fiction are not reasonable reasons to break one.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
People thought Cleve was crazy for years before some blessed soul uploaded those penisaur concept sketches. Regardless, the validity of Monty's lawsuit is irrelevant. Only drama generated via sanctimonious posting on the Codex matters here. I hope you find this explanation satisfactory and include it in your report to the meme police.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom