Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ruzen

Savant
My score for the game: Last time Obsidian gets a dollar from me for their crowdfunding.

Fun aspects: char creation, visuals, exploration.

Boring: Forced "native" language, almost every npc are empty, story wraps up so fast, at least the first game had mystery "new world" idea could have used differenty.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I should have waited a few months before playing it, because PotD is way too easy. My 1st death was 12 hours in. 30 hours later and I only have to rest if I stumble into traps otherwise I auto attack everything to death.

Play upscale crital path + everthing else.

Morkar Left

Regarding world setting; is there a WORLD map where I can see where the Deadfire archipelago is located?
I just can't make up my mind about the PoE world. Why is Deadfire a tropical setting? It's located south of the Eastern Reach (temperate similar to central Europe) which should mean it's getting colder, not warmer regarding the Eora planet. Farther North of the Eastern Reach is the warmer weather (Ixamitl Plains and the Rauatai Gulf north of it with tropical climate).
There seems to be no real consistency about the world.

Fan extrapolation:
post-52304-0-45324700-1486033731.png

Thanks, but that really doen't make sense either. The Deadfire Archipelago is meant to be located south of the the Eastern Reach which wiuld be hardly fitting on that map. But even if you take the location as right, it could only fit if the game takes place in the couple of north islands from the archipelago (except the game has different climate zones included with colder ones in the south). And even than, the Rauatai Gulf is supposed to be of tropical climate. They should really try to bring some consistency in the world or properly explain it.

GerryAdams

Barely Literate
Is it worth playing PoE1 before playing this? Honestly I got a decent bit through the first but I found it pretty boring and dropped it. How deeply connected is the story to the first?
I'd say start with Deadfire, it's the better RPG. You can always play PoE as a "prequel" later.

How's the level of content padding in this? The number of trash mobs in PoE1 was a big turnoff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks, but that really doen't make sense either. The Deadfire Archipelago is meant to be lochated south of the the Eastern Reach which wiuld be hardly fitting on that map.

Josh Sawyer said before the game was released that it extends along the southeastern edge of the Eastern Reach, so not fully to the south. People did think what you said was true before he said that, though. Earlier version of the map:

post-52304-0-52048600-1485175789.png

Thanks, but that really doen't make sense either. The Deadfire Archipelago is meant to be lochated south of the the Eastern Reach which wiuld be hardly fitting on that map. But even if you take the location as right, it could only fit if the game takes place in the couple of north islands from the archipelago (except the game has different climate zones included with colder one in the south). And even than, the Rauatai Gulf is supposed to be of tropical climate. They should really try to bring some consistency in the world or properly explain it.
There is an explanation.
It's because of nanomachines SOULZ.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding world setting; is there a WORLD map where I can see where the Deadfire archipelago is located?
I just can't make up my mind about the PoE world. Why is Deadfire a tropical setting? It's located south of the Eastern Reach (temperate similar to central Europe) which should mean it's getting colder, not warmer regarding the Eora planet. Farther North of the Eastern Reach is the warmer weather (Ixamitl Plains and the Rauatai Gulf north of it with tropical climate).
There seems to be no real consistency about the world.

From posts here I'm getting the feeling people are expecting the sequel to be set in a warmer climate, but there is evidence to the contrary, that's at least if Josh isn't planning to subvert his own lore.

From the strategy guide:
The Eastern Reach is a region in the southern hemisphere, named so by Aedyran colonists. It is the part of Eora in which Pillars of Eternity takes place, an area maybe a little smaller than real-world Spain.

We don't know the size of the planet or its distance from the Sun, but if it's comparable to Earth's, as you go south, it should be quickly getting colder, not warmer.

When I was at school, they used to teach us that for a picture to be called a map, it has to have two things - a scale, and a sign which way is North. PoE's official map does not have a scale. Sloppy as usual.

I made a selection of the Eastern Reach, slapped it on top of a Spain map where the scale had been noted, and resized and turned, until it was relatively fitting to the scale of Spain. Then I measured the width of one of the little house symbols designating a city/town. It was equal to about 20 km. I used this as a measure, to know how much 20 km would be on the original unresized map of The Eastern Reach. Long story short, the distance by air from Defiance Bay to Revua should be around 624 miles or around 1005 km. That's just about the distance from Washington to Quebec City. That's roughly how much colder it should be, if we disregard other variables determining the climate or consider them roughly equal.

I've also asked Josh on his tumblr, to see what distance he will give.

Also see:

Also this for a summary:

this must mean some very weird migrations of populaces throughout Eora have taken place

They did. See: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Human

Last edited by a moderator:

Morkar Left

Josh Sawyer said before the game was released that it extends along the southeastern edge of the Eastern Reach, so not fully to the south. People did think what you said was true before he said that, though.

That would put it into the moderate to cold climate. It's either the same climate or colder. Naasitaq (Eskimos) is just south of it. They go all the way to make up these civilizations and a believable setting but don't care where these civilizations are located. It's hilarious :lol:

Maybe they can come up withe some planet rotation shit to make up for it and finally release a map of the "Known World". Seriously, selling fully illustrated and colored setting guides for your crpg and not being able to come up with the most fundamental worldbuilding "pillars".
:negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That would put it into the moderate to cold climate. It's either the same climate or colder.

? Just look at the first map I posted, it's consistent with the description I gave you. Along the southeastern edge, meaning that it extends from the south in a northeast direction up to the equator.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I should have waited a few months before playing it, because PotD is way too easy. My 1st death was 12 hours in. 30 hours later and I only have to rest if I stumble into traps otherwise I auto attack everything to death.

Difficulty level in this game is adjusted to retards who struggle on normal.

Gord

Arcane
One thing among many is that it is revealed is that the gods apparently were created to help stave off entropy by sheparding Kith towards improving their souls... Only the engwithans apparently saw fit to create gods with very opposing views in light of this existential threat and one who actually is the embodiment of entropy and seeks the complete entropy of the universe. WHAT?!

Granted, they might have retconned that from PoE1, but iirc

there it was revealed that the Engwithans used their knowledge on souls and animancy to search for any proof for the existence of god(s), never finding any, which came as something of an shock, obviously. All the while the various cultures on Eora used their religion, based on their apparently illusionary gods, happily as justifications for fighting each other, etc. Apparently they were afraid that the revelation of the god's absence would make the world descend even further into chaos.
So they came up with an idea - why not create our own gods, according to various ideals, by sacrificing many of our own people, collecting and sorting their souls, and then fusing them together.
Since they now had "real" gods (or rather very powerful soul-constructs) backing their new-founded religion, together with wonders and all at their disposal, the new Engwithan pantheon was quite convincing.
However, the gods are indeed still based on partly conflicting ideals (like the thing with Rymrgrand and entropy, or Skaen and rebellion), whether due to Obsidian not thinking it through, or actually wanting to create a contradicting pantheon, who knows?
After all, this thing is not too uncommon for polytheistic pantheons (see ancient greece or norse mythology).

Morkar Left

That would put it into the moderate to cold climate. It's either the same climate or colder.

? Just look at the first map I posted, it's consistent with the description I gave you. Along the southeastern edge, meaning that it extends from the south in a northeast direction up to the equator.

The purple lines should be the region where tropical climate would be possible (even if Ixamitl isn't really tropical...):

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Morkar Anyway, the first game's guidebook did indeed claim that Rauatai was "tropical". There's no sign of that in the second one, though. Sounds rather inhospitable, actually:

Maybe it's been retconned, or maybe we still don't fully understand the map.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
And according to the game this map is fucking wrong, just like the others maps. Because on first Island in district with storm callers woman shaman/storm caller in charge reacted on my "The White That Wends" background and said: "It's really rare to meet someone from another edge of the World" (or something like this). I doubt that deadfire negros and rautai would call anyone from relatively near island Naasitaq or polar continent "guy from another edge of the world", so The White That Wends should be under Aedyr Empire, not near Deadfire.

Jason Liang

Arcane
That’s a lot like my opinion and I’m barely off the starter island
Withhold your opinions until you've actually played the game past the first ten hours
Since the first game was SHIT, asking someone to play 10 hours before it gets good is asking a lot.

Have not played it, I will wait for patching to give the game a fair shake. But 10 hours is not gonna happen.

Morkar Left

Maybe it's been retconned, or maybe we still don't fully understand the map.

Retconning is the only way they could make this work. And it comes with a big maybe. But I think to make it right they would need to outright declare earlier lore mentions null and void (and fucking up customers who bought the Guidebook and/or Cluebook).

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Since the first game was SHIT, asking someone to play 10 hours before it gets good is asking a lot.

Have not played it, I will wait for patching to give the game a fair shake. But 10 hours is not gonna happen.

So, you didn't played it, but you think it's shit, because someone else said it's shit and this someone always 100% right and his opinion shouldn't be questioned. I understand people who played and was honestly disappointed, but your attitude makes me understand why many people blindly follow reviews from IGN and other shitty sites.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Except we aren't IGN, there is not enough time in the world to play/watch/read everything to verify which opinion is correct and whether you like it. With experience, you can filter which opinions have merit and which don't without having consumed the media in question.

Jason Liang

Arcane

So, you didn't played it, but you think it's shit, because someone else said it's shit and this someone always 100% right and his opinion shouldn't be questioned. I understand people who played and was honestly disappointed, but your attitude makes me understand why many people blindly follow reviews from IGN and other shitty sites.
No. I think the FIRST GAME was SHIT. Which I KNOW since I played it.

I am in no hurry to play this one. So I will wait for some patches first, which is what most of the non-shill posts have suggested. I don't have a lot of faith in patches but I am willing to give this game a fair chance. But I don't have much generosity towards either Obsidian or Sawyer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom