Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another numbers to look at: Steam followers that users who opt in to receive announcement notifications from the game. One of the powerful marketing tools on Steam along with wishlist I imagine.

PoE 2: 51,887 (They've published only 3 announcements on Steam until the launch. Okay...)
Frostpunk: 187,820
Battletech: 87,958

Numbers of not so new games, to put this into perspective:

PoE 1: 156,890
KC:D: 278,586
FF 15: 174,413
Tyranny: 100,470
Expeditions: Viking: 31,082
D:OS 2: 308,262

DeepOcean

Arcane
Pretty sure there is a small team now focused on PoE3 already.
Game needs to perform better than PoE 1, otherwise the IP will be abandoned, declining sales for franchises are rarely a thing that can be overcome, lesser sales for PoE 2 might mean even lesser sales for a PoE 3, not a hot investment to take both for a big developer house or a publisher.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Game needs to perform better than PoE 1, otherwise the IP will be abandoned, declining sales for franchises are rarely a thing that can be overcome, lesser sales for PoE 2 might mean even lesser sales for a PoE 3, not a hot investment to take both for a big developer house or a publisher.

There is absolutely zero chance for the IP to be abandoned. All it needs to do is break even and they will eventually run another Figstarter.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Non-white...no, especially in a setting like this.

Females in position of power...well I think it’s easy to be unbelievable and immersion breaking if overdone. Did you see the last 1 or 2 seasons of Game of Thrones? It bothered me there, yes.

Inweasel I was specifically asking about everything apart from the companions. I think it’s a shame about them, but I will try to ignore the romance crap like in ever other RPG that had it...

The natives in the area seem to be somewhat matriarchal. There are women in a lot of positions of power in other places as well. I think it's less unbelievable in a setting where physical capability is not as important.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
You know as it happens I’m reading the Arcanum manual again. It’s so great in how it tries to (somewhat jokingly) emulate Victorian era thinking and vocabulary/style. The whole game is full of references to social, economic and scientific themes of the time and the mentality of the people living in those times. Such a nice contrast to today’s writers who just insert their modern 21st century middle class sensibilities into a their faux 16-17th century fantasy world.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Oh no, I totally disagree in this. Obsidian will profit a lot with deadfire, they will work with a lot of ideas to expand the world/ lore of Eora and they will continue with those games for a long time.

They started PoE2 just after lauching PoE1, so probably they are already doing the same.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deadfire is not a flop. At this moment is #4 at steam charts. If people are not playing, fuck them, but they are buying, for sure. Reviews are good, steam reviews are good, sale charts are good. So, what the hell are you talking about?

Tyranny was not a flop. Numenera was.

Not a flop, but investing in a game to take off like D:OS and getting one that looks like it's selling about 60% as much as PoE1? Feels bad man.

Potential upside for Obsidian: The game is EXPENSIVE at $50, so with positive word of mouth, carefully planned discounts could attract a lot of attention. Eg, a 10% discount puts it at the same price point as D:OS 2. But they better put somebody who isn't a moron in charge of this.

Sentinel

Arcane

Oh no, I totally disagree in this. Obsidian will profit a lot with deadfire, they will work with a lot of ideas to expand the world/ lore of Eora and they will continue with those games for a long time.

They started PoE2 just after lauching PoE1, so probably they are already doing the same.
How will they profit a lot? Don't they even have to share the profits with fig investors?
Feargus will try for the Elder Scrolls clone Pillars game for the big SLAMDUNK & watch it fail miserably and he'll kill the IP for good.

Tbh killing the IP would be preferable to turning it into co-op shit.

Lexx

Cipher
Well, I'm loving it. Sure isn't perfect, but heck, I couldn't even be arsed to finish PoE1 due to loading times and encounter spam.

Regarding the romance stuff. What annoyed me is how the gay fish started approaching me. It felt very out of place in that situation and was just kinda embarrassing. I wouldn't mind it if I - as player - would have started it, but the way it was done... eh. Also: Why are there no romances between my party members? Why is it that always everyone is hot on the player only?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh I will try it, I backed it at CE edition tier :mixedemotions:

I was just curious as I can’t play it myself right now due to the lack of a good computer.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If Obsidian makes money enough to pay the bills and break even (probably 100% chance), they are good to go again.

Its better to stay on the market than close the doors.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm sort of surprised people are talking as though this game has failed or is going to fail commercially.

D:OS2 selling well overnight was the exception and not the rule, this game is going to be selling hundreds of thousands in the 20-30$ range for years and years.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And being economical decision..... the game sold like shit cookies.

Another thing that shows that adherence to this popular rhetoric doesn't really work and its reach is minimal. People aren't going to buy the game only because everyone in it is a bisexual tranny Muslim. We'll see the sales number at the end, though, it may pick up, but it won't be because of furry midget gay sex.
The game didn't sell well because of quite a few reasons but mainly because of the first game. DOS 2 sell because of the same reason,people liked what they saw in the first game and decided to buy the second,while PoE was a total mess and very disappointing in all aspects. Now don't get me wrong,the DOS games are pile of manure but for the generic customer they delivered what they promised. While PoE did deliver anything to expected standard,the same thing happened with Watch dogs and Titanfall games. Also we shouldn't forget the MCA drama,that effected sales too.

TalesfromtheCrypt i am pretty anti sjw and have pretty low tolerance for it,must say that the game have some but it is not hamfisted and very annoying. The population is like 80% niggers and 50% women and 90% of people in power are women. But it is kind of believable seeing how all of them are unwashed barbarians and not Aedyran nobles like me,also the free attack button helps a lot for the immersion. The writing is pretty garbage for most part but the game is mainly exploration orientated. There are a few cool parts like the undercity,just don't go down with the lift,wait to finish the quest for the blackmarket boss.

pomenitul

Arbiter
In spite of its inevitable issues (it is, after all, a video game), none of which will be spared by the professional naysayers on this here forum, so far (I'm in Nekataka) it strikes me as a very good effort, mostly an improvement over the first instalment. It would be a shame if it were to bomb utterly but such is the age we live in. D:OS2 was indeed the isometric exception, and for all the wrong reasons.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I stole a kraken's eye from the tavern, then learned that the tavern was named after it and I made the owner very sad.

I felt bad so I wanted to put it back in its place. Imagine my disappointment when I realized it's an ingredient and you can't transfer these into containers.

2house2fly

Magister
Deadfire is not a flop. At this moment is #4 at steam charts. If people are not playing, fuck them, but they are buying, for sure. Reviews are good, steam reviews are good, sale charts are good. So, what the hell are you talking about?

They pumped a lot more money into this than just the kickstarter budget, which was already bigger than the first game. Spending a lot more money on the sequel and not even coming close to the original in terms of sales is pretty much a flop, relatively speaking

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Not a flop, but investing in a game to take off like D:OS and getting one that looks like it's selling about 60% as much as PoE1? Feels bad man.

Potential upside for Obsidian: The game is EXPENSIVE at $50, so with positive word of mouth, carefully planned discounts could attract a lot of attention. Eg, a 10% discount puts it at the same price point as D:OS 2. But they better put somebody who isn't a moron in charge of this.

Yeah, I think people are forgetting that this game in all likelyhood went significantly over budget because someone had a retarded idea they need to have #metoo feature parity with D:OS2. Full VO and those Critical Role idiots aren't cheap.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Its the one IP they totally control without any strings attached like the deal with the Tim Cain project (And who knows how that will turn out in the end), they'll find some way to use it. If its in the form of a PoE 3 I'd expect Feargus just told the team to give it a major scope downgrade though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I stole a kraken's eye from the tavern, then learned that the tavern was named after it and I made the owner very sad.

I felt bad so I wanted to put it back in its place. Imagine my disappointment when I realized it's an ingredient and you can't transfer these into containers.
The only thing that i didn't pilfer in the whole world :cool:,maybe the only thing people react if it goes missing.

Also does anyone know where to find some useful soulbound item,i have 5 and all of them are weapons.
You have found every single soulbound item in the game.
Don't even joke about this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom