Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Leechmonger

Arbiter
the spirit of adventure died in the real world when guns and ships were invented as it permitted for the collectivist industrialized spirit to overwhelm the individual heroic spirit that fantasy should(and always has) tried to emulate

It's not like firearms were the first ranged weapons.

Abhay

Augur
How interactive is the game world and the overall areas in general? Is it incredibly rich with full of interesting NPCs and a Livy world, or quite bland?

2house2fly

Magister
That's photoshopped, right?

I doubt it and it's arguably worse in general dialogue.

As in "I wanna be a dragon" tier comments, many of which the game considers "clever" or "rational" So far only "stoic" and non-disposition choices have managed to preserve any sense of goodwill I have towards the player character.

Otherwise it's this unintelligently wry, ironic millennial take on everything.

Even at the start of the game, your character can say this tweeny , "I.hate.boats", the first choice after he regains consciousness, as he's lying next to the drowned bodies of the ship crew, after basically coming back from the dead himself.

Or using the actual term "spirity-stuff" when speaking to a freshly deceased ghost
PoE1: waaaah my character has no personality!

PoE2: waaaah I don't like my character's personality!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The addition of silliness is entirely intentional and frankly more in line with the spirit of Baldur's Gate:

LskJQqf.jpg

But Baldur's Gate had Gen X-style nerd humor (think Monty Python references) whereas PoE2 has millennial squeeing that makes Codexers nervous

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
lus we get to have our gunpowder weapons, sailing ships, breastplates
none of these really belong in a fantasy game tho
the spirit of adventure died in the real world when guns and ships were invented as it permitted for the collectivist industrialized spirit to overwhelm the individual heroic spirit that fantasy should(and always has) tried to emulate
Are you fucking kidding me? Guns and ships gave birth of individual heroic spirit since, with their invention, Medieval age ended and glorious Renaissance age was started, when people was able to flee from feudal Europe and travel the World. I mean it definitely fits more to "individual heroic spirit" than feudal society where you belong one social group for life with little chance to leave your village. Also fuck your "classic fantasy", I feel sick of amount of settings which blindly copying Tolkien and world stuck forever in Medieval age.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Joss Whedon is no longer a millenial hero since he cheated on his wife numerous times during Age of Ultron. He'll always be a hero to me though, cus Buffy.

imweasel

Eurocuckistan says:

apH7Bd6.jpg

"Make shit role playing game and piss off Glorious Codexia, vastly diminishing returns on sequel you will receive."
--Konfuzius

Ruzen

Savant
Gameplay is the real driving force this time which is better but the narrative is extremely banal. You level up very fast and even the hardest difficulty isn't challenging. Combat soundtrack isn't good but the rest is good. In every area, the game is improved substantially but I'm really having a hard time to care about the story or characters. Also, the challenge isn't quite there yet.

It looks like not many people bought the game let alone backers launching it. I guess people are fed after Divinity : OS2 or maybe people looking for more experimental things rather than another D&D. Like no truce with the furies Disco Elysium

SophosTheWise

Cipher
My question is why does that bother you so much? I think I've never romanced anyone in any RPG I've ever played because I find it very weird but it also never... affected me? It's content you don't have to touch if you don't want to. Sometimes I really wonder what one's personal interpretation of the world must be as to be so bothered by queer stuff. I just don't get it. It's a fucking fantasy world with Polynesian half-orc-fishpeople, dragons, elves, fairies magic and a statue of a god prancing about. Why the hell is that okay but many characters not being cis isn't? You're entitled to your opinion, sure, but I just don't get it.

My understanding is that some of them actively hit on you, and some even wind up with each other, so you can't escape the gay. Gays in Tyranny were fine, whatever, it wasn't selling itself as a throwback to a 90s fantasy setting, but doing the same thing to a Pillars sequel is too far. An incredibly tiny minority of the population is pushing themselves into everything and this push is how we end up with nonsense like http://news.gallup.com/poll/183383/americans-greatly-overestimate-percent-gay-lesbian.aspx

I will never understand why people are so afraid of homosexuality. Yeah, okay, some characters hit on you. Big deal. Heterosexuals hit on you too. Say yes if you want to, say no if you don't want to.

Edit: How anyone can use the term SJW unironically is beyond me

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
This is the only combat track I found great, rest passable:

The sea shanties sound even nicer than in-game, less background noise I guess, they're at the end of the video.
Sawyer is a singer in them right?

Last edited:

Ziggy

Scholar
Yeah, okay, some characters hit on you. Big deal.

one of possible crew encounters that you can get whenever as you sail around is that a crewmate will come into your cabin and just start undressing
to me this happened with my helmsman wild orlan, and he did that right as we were sailing to the final area of the game
emergent storytelling guys

Funny thing is that the first show that comes to my mind when someone mentions Whedon is actually Supernatural, a show that has nothing to do with him as far as I know.

SophosTheWise

Cipher

one of possible crew encounters that you can get whenever as you sail around is that a crewmate will come into your cabin and just start undressing
to me this happened with my helmsman wild orlan, and he did that right as we were sailing to the final area of the game
So this is only a big deal because it's a homosexual encounter? If it was a heterosexual encounter, you wouldn't mind?

Bohr

Arcane

So this is only a big deal because it's a homosexual encounter? If it was a heterosexual encounter, you wouldn't mind?

Hang on, what happened to "It's content you don't have to touch if you don't want to."?

SophosTheWise

Cipher

Hang on, what happened to "It's content you don't have to touch if you don't want to."?
Still the same, you can still refuse to interact with that content.

SophosTheWise, why do you care about homophobes so much? Is there something you're not telling us?
I'm just baffled, that's all. I'm not used to being around that kind of idiots

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom