Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
Wow just like my fav game fellout 4!

Dc_b5TGU8AECxmh.jpg:large

Dc_b5TCU8AA01UB.jpg:large

Grab the Codex by the pussy
the reason I made my initial comment was because his line of thinking was totally true in my case with regards to his products. I followed along during the creation of Age of Decadence and bought it when it came out, and while I enjoyed it, it was not an overwhelming joy. It was high quality, but just not exactly the type of game I prefer (I really liked Dungeon Rats however). If he had decided his next project was AoD 2 I probably never would have bought it. But his new project Nedw World on the other hand I am really looking forward to and will certainly buy. I will have bought all of his games when this occurs.

I just found it very insightful on his part and he will be maximizing the return on his efforts I believe instead of randomly making games and not really understanding why one sold better than another.
:greatjob:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So is this game in a playable state?

Does it have any devastating bugs like PoE 1 did on release? (if you don't remember, PoE 1 had an insidious bug where saving/loading in a certain area increased stats every time you loaded)
It have a lot of fucked up bugs,there is bug that could burn your money on wages,also there is a bug that doesn't load levels ok and you could endup locked inside the level unable to move,some times when quick loading the games kind of load but leaves some of the consequences of the level state before loading....example: in one level i decided to try and kill a bunch of people to see what there is in the area (leaving from the forge on the pirate island),after that i loaded before the battle and later on noticed that the group is gone/dead.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Xoti is a prime example of Soybsidian's idea of a complex character.

She looks Mexican but she sounds like she c'ld use summa dat wall.

"joined:Tuesday"

FFS, did someone post about the Codex on 4chan again, or what's up with all these shitheel edgelords joining all at once recently?!

(edit: Let the hate flow through you, come on! Gimme dem "cuck" tags, so I know who to Ignore.)

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I've been advocating 2D graphics for a while now, a lot of games made 15-20 years ago still look amazing by virtue of the 2D and it allows a much more mature aesthetic imo. 3D seems clunky to me and too "free", making it almost impossible to construct it like a painting.

Hey Kasparov somebody's talking shit about your art style

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
How can people be finished with the game already, did you rush the main plot? Feels like I barely scratched the surface with 25+ hours in.
How many hours did it take for you guys that finished it?

If you follow the crit path it is over before you know it. It is very short and could probably be completed in 3~ hours without too much optimising and probably way below 1 hour if you play story mode.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Companions are all fucked up. I just got pallegina and as soon as I added her to party she got into a fight with xoti where the cowboy lantern girl said 'it's either me or her'...

The didn't even have time for a single interaction before it, also for some reason o maxed out affection with aloth without even talking to him or having him in the party.

So many fucked up bugs.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
So, for some reason before PoE2 was released we were told who wrote each one of the companions, EXCEPT Serafan. Who some people are now saying is one of the better companions.

Well, wonder no more:
Well, well: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Alex_Scokel

From what I gather even Codexers seem to agree that Serafen is the only half-decently written companion. Gee, it's almost like hiring people with an actual background in working on (tabletop) RPGs yields better results than hiring all those Tumblrinas that now make up the majority of Obsidian's writing staff.

But he's a Californian who worked for White Wolf, one of the "wokest" and "soyboiest" companies before the rise of Paizo. How could that be?! /s

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Does anyone else here think that shanties are total and pointless waste of resources? I do like some sea shanties but in the game i haven got past the first 30 seconds of any song,you just do something they stop.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Why would he tarnish his reputation with DA2 when it is the most ambitious and different writing style/structure Bioware have ever employed? If he's a writer that is. The focus on interpersonal relationships and individual stature in the context of political upheaval is a very good beginning framework and a lot of stuff in DA2 was miles better than anything Bioware have shat out (in the writing department).

DA 2 had style and structure? Was I dreaming when I played that game? That abomination introduced the Wheel of Doom where you get to pick choices with less than 5 words per line, most of the time I was on the edge of my seat because I didn't know what my MC was going to say, that's how badly structured that game was.

I also remember meeting Flemeth in the first 10 minutes and one of my choices was '' I want to be a Dragon'', at that point I knew this was going to be a state of the art rpg, truly a game with style.

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
Just from reading what VD has posted over the years I believe he is very perceptive and has a great mind for looking at things and coming to different and smarter conclusions than other people. As well he seems unafraid to act on the different opinions he comes to even when he is going against the consensus. I guess part of it is an ability to trust his own conclusions and not be too afraid of making mistakes. He seems to have no problem bucking conventional wisdom..... likely even relishes it. Good attributes IMO for a guy running his own small company.
What I find curious is how much guessing and imitation takes place in game design. Because sequels work most of the time with blockbusters in the film industry, triple-A publishers create a whole business model based on the same sequel mentality, but then medium and smaller studios think they can do the same thing and fail. It’s not rocket science. You can just check the numbers by yourself to see that this doesn’t work most of the time.

the reason I made my initial comment was because his line of thinking was totally true in my case with regards to his products. I followed along during the creation of Age of Decadence and bought it when it came out, and while I enjoyed it, it was not an overwhelming joy. It was high quality, but just not exactly the type of game I prefer (I really liked Dungeon Rats however). If he had decided his next project was AoD 2 I probably never would have bought it. But his new project Nedw World on the other hand I am really looking forward to and will certainly buy. I will have bought all of his games when this occurs.

I just found it very insightful on his part and he will be maximizing the return on his efforts I believe instead of randomly making games and not really understanding why one sold better than another.
Vince did a lot of things right for a small company selling niche products: cultivating customers, realizing the merit of your own products over the competitors, saving R&D resources by salvaging past projects, and not panicking in the face of negative feedback or suboptimal sales. He is surely putting his past corporate experience to good use.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I've been advocating 2D graphics for a while now, a lot of games made 15-20 years ago still look amazing by virtue of the 2D and it allows a much more mature aesthetic imo. 3D seems clunky to me and too "free", making it almost impossible to construct it like a painting.

Hey Kasparov somebody's talking shit about your art style
Well, Lacrymas show me the good and bad exampes, boy!

In every rpg i always make and play with female main PC, but this time i am afraid about the fact they added romance, don't wanna see Eder or Aloth or whatever asking me to fuck. What can i do?
Males don't hit on your female because the writers thought this is misogynistic. I'm not kidding. But all the dikes in the game will hump on your leg though.

Deadfire does not do this at all. The writers just put in a bunch of bisexuals, blacks, and orcs. They don't have much moralizing in there at all about them. This is not an SJW game.
That's a nice speech, but doesn't explain why my female NPC can't romance Eder whereas she is hit by every female in this game. The reason is that they were writen by misandric dikes. That's why.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

It feel like asking a random person in the park for a quicky in the bushes,after they agree you tell them that first you must be taken to a diner,a movie,bought some jewels and then you will do the quicky.

That's every Tinder encounter for me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, Lacrymas show me the good and bad exampes, boy!

The IE games, Age of Wonders 2/SM, Fallout 1 and 2, Heroes 3, Starcraft all have a more mature aesthetic (in terms of artistic flair) than the KotORs, Fallout 3/4/NV, Age of Wonders 3, Starcraft 2, DA:O/2 etc. I'm purposefully not using the early 3D games as examples, but those too. I don't know what you mean by "good" and "bad" examples in this context, though.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
So you prefer “dollhouse” perspective games.

The tech to do something “pretty” for first person games that won’t look clunky has been pretty tough with the tech we’ve had available to us so far.

And I don't know why people keep complaining about these things anymore, it's clearly here to stay and will go even further in the future to the point where it will become the new ''normal'' way of life, which means you need to learn to deal with it. There's a new generation coming in that doesn't put much price on who's dick Eder suck or whatever, it's sad, but that's what happens when you are starting to become an old fossil and expect the world to stay true to your ''outdated'' visions.
No, it is not. This is just a view point expressed by a minority. Fuck you!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So you prefer “dollhouse” perspective games.

The tech to do something “pretty” for first person games that won’t look clunky has been pretty tough with the tech we’ve had available to us so far.

It's not about looking pretty, it's about looking intentional and skillful in terms of artistic perspective/design/purpose. I've found that 3D is clunky in this respect or at least less successful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom