Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are the bounties are only tied to the horrendous ship combat?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

No, there are plenty of them on islands.

You can just ram ships to skip the combat tho.

Actually going forward forward forward forward board seems to be much more preferable in term of resource loss than the option "go straight to boarding". Especially if you have a Dhow (fastest stuff in game afaik) with some fast sails and/or hull, my record was like 110-115m in a single move.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

No, there are plenty of them on islands.

You can just ram ships to skip the combat tho.

Actually going forward forward forward forward board seems to be much more preferable in term of resource loss than the option "go straight to boarding". Especially if you have a Dhow (fastest stuff in game afaik) with some fast sails and/or hull, my record was like 110-115m in a single move.

the codex astartes names this manoeuvre "steel rain"

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bumped into another bug apparently: Pressing M for the map in the pirate fort occasionally hangs the game for me.

I am really curious how would prerendered isometric game art look like if the same resources were poured towards its improvement as there were for 3D. Deadfire already looks insanely amazing, it may be the most beautiful game ever made (until Beautiful Desolation). And the resources spend on the technology were minimal compared to 3D.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Do you have a full crew? I can't really think of what triggers them. I'm fairly certain the sea event stuff is buggy - at some point I stopped getting any events or sea shanties. For a while I was constantly getting the "is the fish tainted?" "let's play a game of Orlan" and "Ondra needs a tribute" events every five minutes or so but then for some reason all events and shanties stopped triggering for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, for some reason before PoE2 was released we were told who wrote each one of the companions, EXCEPT Serafan. Who some people are now saying is one of the better companions.

Well, wonder no more:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I am really curious how would prerendered isometric game art look like if the same resources were poured towards its improvement as there were for 3D. Deadfire already looks insanely amazing, it may be the most beautiful game ever made (until Beautiful Desolation). And the resources spend on the technology were minimal compared to 3D.

I've been advocating 2D graphics for a while now, a lot of games made 15-20 years ago still look amazing by virtue of the 2D and it allows a much more mature aesthetic imo. 3D seems clunky to me and too "free", making it almost impossible to construct it like a painting.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How can people be finished with the game already, did you rush the main plot? Feels like I barely scratched the surface with 25+ hours in.
How many hours did it take for you guys that finished it?

I've been advocating 2D graphics for a while now, a lot of games made 15-20 years ago still look amazing by virtue of the 2D and it allows a much more mature aesthetic imo. 3D seems clunky to me and too "free", making it almost impossible to construct it like a painting.

I hope that Deadfire will still be successful enough for Obsidian to make more games using PoE tech. I am really curious how next iteration of the engine would manage look like.

Just from reading what VD has posted over the years I believe he is very perceptive and has a great mind for looking at things and coming to different and smarter conclusions than other people. As well he seems unafraid to act on the different opinions he comes to even when he is going against the consensus. I guess part of it is an ability to trust his own conclusions and not be too afraid of making mistakes. He seems to have no problem bucking conventional wisdom..... likely even relishes it. Good attributes IMO for a guy running his own small company.
What I find curious is how much guessing and imitation takes place in game design. Because sequels work most of the time with blockbusters in the film industry, triple-A publishers create a whole business model based on the same sequel mentality, but then medium and smaller studios think they can do the same thing and fail. It’s not rocket science. You can just check the numbers by yourself to see that this doesn’t work most of the time.

the reason I made my initial comment was because his line of thinking was totally true in my case with regards to his products. I followed along during the creation of Age of Decadence and bought it when it came out, and while I enjoyed it, it was not an overwhelming joy. It was high quality, but just not exactly the type of game I prefer (I really liked Dungeon Rats however). If he had decided his next project was AoD 2 I probably never would have bought it. But his new project Nedw World on the other hand I am really looking forward to and will certainly buy. I will have bought all of his games when this occurs.

I just found it very insightful on his part and he will be maximizing the return on his efforts I believe instead of randomly making games and not really understanding why one sold better than another.

Cross

Arcane
So, for some reason before PoE2 was released we were told who wrote each one of the companions, EXCEPT Serafan. Who some people are now saying is one of the better companions.

Well, wonder no more:

Well, well: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Alex_Scokel

From what I gather even Codexers seem to agree that Serafen is the only half-decently written companion. Gee, it's almost like hiring people with an actual background in working on (tabletop) RPGs yields better results than hiring all those Tumblrinas that now make up the majority of Obsidian's writing staff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what I gather even Codexers seem to agree that Serafan is the only half-decently written companion. Gee, it's almost like hiring people with an actual background in working on (tabletop) RPGs yields better results than hiring all those Tumblrinas that now make up the majority of Obsidian's writing staff.

Maybe though I wouldn't discount the role of Tony Evans, an oldschool Obsidian guy (even if he did tarnish his reputation with Dragon Age 2).

He was the lead designer of Storm of Zehir, another SoZ connection.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Why would he tarnish his reputation with DA2 when it is the most ambitious and different writing style/structure Bioware have ever employed? If he's a writer that is. The focus on interpersonal relationships and individual stature in the context of political upheaval is a very good beginning framework and a lot of stuff in DA2 was miles better than anything Bioware have shat out (in the writing department).

Parabalus

Arcane
I killed Maia, whom I was "dating", because of a quest conflict, and before I can even loot the body Xoti starts flirting with the PC. :mixedemotions:

Cool tidbit is the UI showed she turned on me because of Shady reputation, if that could be prevented that's damn cool.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I, as a male mountain dwarf, paid for a male elven prostitute.
You really have some strange taste mate. Soo which one of you was drilling the mountain?
The hipster kind that y'all make fun of :P
I just did it for the sake of curiosity, and while I knew that these sort of things in this game didn't aim for anything more than a disappointment, I still found it to be a missed oppurtunity. It's simply too minor and insignificant to worth any outrage, but at the same time, I can't help but feel like this situation is the result of writers' lack of confidence at their own characters. Serafen already convinced me as a true bro, I don't need to bang him so we can be eternal soulmates. It just isn't worth it to ruin good characters with how sloppily written their sexuality is.
I agree with you mate,the rat is the only interesting companion. Xoti is kind of interesting but that voice....it makes my dick limp every time. Also the romance is really bad,people just ask you if you want do fuck,if you say yes they ask you to begin courting them :retarded:. Do this people even know how fucking works,what are they,eleven?! It feel like asking a random person in the park for a quicky in the bushes,after they agree you tell them that first you must be taken to a diner,a movie,bought some jewels and then you will do the quicky.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom