Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
As if there are still people that care about total war games. It is the same shit released in different periods. Only "unique" thing in their games is the battles,the rest is done better by paradox :negative:.

We really need some competition in this niche,both companies are pretty shit.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is plenty competition when it comes to historical tactical combat at least (the illusion of "historicity" in running a state in a past period is unattanable IMO).

The "drawbacks" of the competition - it's turn based. The casuals go "ooga-booga, how dis work?"

The graphics are not "immersive" enough for the average puber retard who hasn't read 1 book from cover to cover in his whole useless life, and lacks the imagination and historical knowledge to fill the gaps.

They are still pretty expensive, with the excuse that it's "because they are so niche", but really because there is one publisher who has a near monopoly: http://www.matrixgames.com/

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is plenty competition when it comes to historical tactical combat at least (the illusion of "historicity" in running a state in a past period is unattanable IMO).

The "drawbacks" of the competition - it's turn based. The casuals go "ooga-booga, how dis work?"

The graphics are not "immersive" enough for the average puber retard who hasn't read 1 book from cover to cover in his whole useless life, and lacks the imagination and historical knowledge to fill the gaps.

They are still pretty expensive, with the excuse that it's "because they are so niche", but really because there is one publisher who has a near monopoly: http://www.matrixgames.com/
Total war and Paradox shit are the only ones that do the grand strategy. The rest just lack any real depth and lack the empire building part,also turn based is pretty slow and thus boring. The best thing would be if someone stole the core of paradox engine and do something good.

Citizen

I wish they would return shogun/medieval style world map. I didn't even play the series post-rome, I just can't stand playing a gargantua, awkwardly hitting other godzillas with his sword when he wants to fight their armies. This looks so retarded, I still can't understand why CA did this shit to Rome, and continues to do that for a decade already.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
A simple graph based 2D map is done for saving costs. Nice looking 2D map of Europe full of details suits game more.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Scourge of War and Ultimate General Civil War are really good and I'm glad the codex recommended me them. I would also recommend them for anyone that want TW style gunpowder battles but not as shallow although there's no TW style campaign map.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
And now it's official. They used Denuvo. Aka when it's a questionable quality, or developers wanted to cheat users, they typically use Denuvo.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Also have you noticed? There are NO BLACKS... After what some people said about that czech RPG, I wonder what would they say about strategy game that happens in England.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also have you noticed? There are NO BLACKS... After what some people said about that czech RPG, I wonder what would they say about strategy game that happens in England.
Doubt anyone cares about the devs to even notice. Maybe somebody should go to retardera and ignite the fires of autism.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
UxVsaMm.png

It reminds me of times I did research of lethal PC viruses.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Devs are super butthurt and respond to every negative review on steam :lol:

xfwmdIe.jpg

OtEzU7v.jpg
When I did noncommercial game development I never had time to write stuff like this. In fact I remember on commercial game developers who didn't have time either. Must be one of these recent things like Community manager.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not enough you gave SEGA money, but you have to post that you liked it, otherwise devs come to bully you. What a time we live in...

Exactly what I was going to say, this is probably some useless "marketing" moron who got a [developer] account for the game.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I've put 5-6 hours in, so far.

The game plays very fast; unit upkeep is low and there is more or less a complete roster available from the start (as in, every unit type except siege engines is unlocked from Turn 1), so 15-20 unit armies by Turn 4 are not unusual for the wealthy factions. In fact, West Seaxe can basically field two ~20 unit stacks by that point and still be comfortably in the green, money-wise.

They've tried to append unique mechanics to each faction, but these vary in depth. Mide has a festival that increases Legitimacy and relations with allies, while proto-Scotland has a mission-based narrative about a legendary stone you have to locate for faction bonuses.

The tech system is a real mixed bag. On the one hand, each tech is hefty in terms of what it does, compared to something like the WH2 tech trees. The bonuses tend to be large (10-30%) and it feels rewarding to unlock them. However, the techs all take ~3-4 turns to research and that causes issues in a few cases. Playing as Mide, I unlocked the 2nd tier sword and shield unit 30-40 turns in. Three turns later, I unlocked the 3rd tier one. It made the 2nd tier pointless. The same is true for every other unit type; since ALL techs in a line unlock when you meet the requirements of the first one, you can go from Tier 1 to Tier 3 in six turns, often.

All in all, it's a very streamlined (stripped down?) game, but it did hook me for the hours I put in, so far. You're making big choices often, because you can do something meaningful in each turn. That said, the factions are very similar and once you've been through each culture type there's little incentive to come back for more. I can see the game being entertaining for 20-30 hours, then never being played again. If you want to be in a winning position from Turn 1, play West Seaxe (where there is essentially no difficulty) or Mide (where the difficulty falls of a cliff once you take your second province).

In addendum, I did actually like the new province system. It changes war dynamics significantly, because you really have to go out and contest invasions. Sitting in your walled province capital isn't an option.

EDIT:

Forgot to say that I really like the trait system for the characters. The bonuses can be BIG (for example -50% upkeep for sword/axe units) and the characters have a bit of uniqueness to them as a result. The skill 'tree' is shit, though. Yes, the bonuses are good, but there's almost always a 'correct' option. For example, a General should treat Quartermaster as a no-brainer. Governors will need that Scribe + Priest combo for governance/loyalty. There's really no need to go after anything else.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a weird hybrid system. In WH/WH2, you have a basic numerical value for unrest that creates a rebellion when it hits -100. ToB basically raises the chance of a rebellion for each point below 0, but it's always a percentile chance, not a guaranteed rebellion. For example, at -4, you might have 3-4% chance of a rebellion per turn (I forget if the negative value IS the actual percentile involved).

Yes, a few rebellions did catch me by surprise. And yes, they often target undefended, unwalled provincial settlements. It is definitely annoying when it happens, but it's not really difficult to deal with, unless you've sent an army into some distant hinterland with full knowledge that you've got a rebellion brewing in one of your provinces. Raising local forces to deal with a rebellion can be frustrating, as each new unit starts at ~25% strength and takes a while to build up. While you're waiting, the rebels can gobble up a good chunk of a province and hurt your economy/food output.

It's actually a bit more involved than the WH system, where the rebels always target your main settlement in a province (or the one closest to the main settlement on the province UI, if you don't own the capital) and you can basically ignore public order if you've got a garrison of 12+ units. Since garrisons are much smaller in ToB (seven units at Tier 2, up to about 9-10 at the highest tier, without a garrison building), smaller rebel armies are more of a threat.

Tigranes

Arcane
How can we get CA_Matthew on the Codex so he can refine his craft with Grandmaster Blakemore

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Shame what happened to this series since Medieval 2. Empire and Napoleon were still playable to me but everything after that...well

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom