Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Iron Danger - tactical combat RPG with simultaneous turns and time manipulation

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://irondanger.com

https://af.gog.com/game/iron_danger?as=1649904300

zS9YZZn.jpg

WmWU1uq.jpg

Some environmental interaction:

YOU WILL DIE.
BUT YOU WILL NOT FAIL.

In an age before the hatching of the universe, an age that lives only in myth, a primal power arises to forge the future of mankind. Sought by demigods and sorcerers, the mightiest champions and destroyers, this power and the duty it entails fall upon the frail shoulders of a young girl.

Iron Danger is a trailblazing tactical action adventure game. It’s set in a world of magic and machinery that draws on the one hand from the Nordic myths that inspired J.R.R. Tolkien’s epic fantasy, and from modern steampunk and tech noir influences on the other. In this fresh fantasy world of warrior shamans and machine fumes, you take on the role of Kipuna, a simple village girl, who becomes imbued with a cosmic power that grants dominion over time and death. You must use your wits to control it as you’re drawn into the midst of a war between the city of Kalevala, and the armies of the Northlanders driven by their witch queen Lowhee. Your task is to master the power, in order to use it for mankind’s protection, when your enemies will seek to harness it in the service of total destruction.

On your quest, you will have to channel the power in the form of ever-mightier magic, and to fight against relentless enemies, outnumbered and overmatched. You will die. Repeatedly. But you cannot let that stop you.

THE STORY
EPIC SCALE, PERSONAL STAKES

Iron Danger is a fully story-driven game, in which the action flows from the choices of the heroes and the events that surround them. The fate of an entire world is in your hands, and you will grapple with cosmic magic, terrifying monsters, and colossal war machines to save it. But you’re not a conquering warrior or master of sorcery by birth: you have to grow into your destiny step by step, and you can’t do it alone. Along your journey, you’re joined by companions with their own goals, backgrounds, abilities and personalities. They will guide and protect you, but also bring challenges of their own, and their lives are ultimately also in your hands. Together, you engage in epic struggles and make magical discoveries, but just as important are the relationships you form along the way.

GAMEPLAY
FIGHT - DIE - ADAPT

Iron Danger is a story driven tactical RPG with simultaneous turns. It is a streamlined, action-packed single-player game in which repetitive grinding is kept to a minimum and every moment advances the story. The player controls Kipuna and one of two individual companion characters in tactically challenging battles against a variety of different threats. At center stage in combat is the unique time shifting mechanic that represents Kipuna’s magical influence over the flow of time. It gives the player the ability to rewind at any point with fraction-of-a-second precision, pinpointing strikes to enemies’ unguarded moments, deflecting and dodging attacks exactly when they happen, synchronizing magical and physical attacks to overwhelm difficult enemies, and overcoming impossible odds through trial and error. Iron Danger challenges you to think of combat and puzzles from a different perspective: you may be an experienced gamer who knows all the tricks, but you’ve never played a game like this.

Along the way, if you survive, Kipuna’s magic grows stronger and more versatile, bringing new options and opportunities to combat. Of course, your other fighting abilities improve as well, and you have control over which of Kipuna’s and the companion characters’ stats you wish to upgrade. Instead of repetitively accumulating piles of experience points, however, character development is based on distinctive, level-specific challenges that each provide unique new skill upgrades. These challenges respond to your play style, with trade-offs between different approaches such as offense vs. defense and magic vs. stealth, so that your characters gain new abilities that reflect the way you choose to approach the game.

THE WORLD
MYTH MEETS MACHINERY

Iron Danger is set in a world of lofty fells, primeval forest, and placid lakes... as well as living gods, monsters of steel and smoke, and supernatural doom dwelling beneath the earth. The city of Kalevala, home of the humans who rebelled against the gods and forsook their protection, shines in the middle of this world, surrounded by towns, sea lanes and and woodlands under its protection. But from the frozen north, a witch queen is leading her army on a quest for vengeance against the lords of Kalevala. Ancient ruins from the days when gods dwelled on the earth are opening to unleash forgotten powers, tempting humans and striving to overtake the world.

KALEVALA
Kalevala is the capital city of humanity. It is ruled by the benevolent demigod Antheor, and by a council of elders, and protected by brave soldiers and warrior shamans. It is a vibrant, bustling metropolis, where human ingenuity and the patterns of nature coexist.

THE NORTHLANDS
Enslaved by the witch queen Lowhee, heir to the black artifices of the machine god Kertenak, the Northlands extend their frost-rimed grasp towards Kalevala. Armies of half-human, half-construct reavers and the life-hating hordes of razics and ahmos creep southwards, subjugating and burning their way towards the heart of human lands.

THE WILDERNESS
The world around Kalevala is untamed, much of it unmapped. Small towns of fishers and farmers are scattered about, drawing sustenance from nature. But the woods and seas are still home to spirits and primal beasts from ages preceding human habitation. Every winding game path, thicket, and crack between hills can be a path to the Hidden Side of the woodlands, where the time and life follow different laws.

THE RUINS
Before the spread of humanity, a race of predecessors delved into the earth and drew power from the skies, constructing great temple complexes. Long fallen into ruin and sunken underground, they still house artefacts and animated beings incomprehensible to humans, the products of a divergent path of technology and evolution. Here, Kipuna finds a force that will both empower and seek to overpower her.
Developed by a Finnish studio called Action Squad, formed by developers who worked on Angry Birds games. :M (This bird seems quite angry.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
Yep. I'm generally suspicious of time mechanics, but it could be interesting if they can build everything up around it, and also set a punishing difficulty that forces you to learn through your deaths.

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
https://www.irondanger.com/#the-game

Iron Danger is a trailblazing tactical action adventure game.

https://www.irondanger.com/gameplay/

Iron Danger is a story driven tactical RPG with simultaneous turns.

Well which is it.

Tactical RPG. The more action oriented approach comes from the fact that with time manipulation and simultaneous turns you will also get things look like very smooth and action oriented fighting in the end. However, I must agree having both in there can be misleading.

And Hi all! I'm HP, lead programmer of Iron Danger, so if you have any questions feel free to throw those towards me.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Tactical RPG. The more action oriented approach comes from the fact that with time manipulation and simultaneous turns you will also get things look like very smooth and action oriented fighting in the end. However, I must agree having both in there can be misleading.

And Hi all! I'm HP, lead programmer of Iron Danger, so if you have any questions feel free to throw those towards me.

Hi, welcome here! Have you ever been here before? Enjoy your stay here, don't be afraid of local dogs posters cause for most part they only bark, not bite. Especially if you feed them with some juicy info about your game. Favourite food: Incline

According to you and your team what would be RPG and in your case tactical RPG? Are there stats, abilities, attributes and other numbers or is it more simplified?

In other words is it closer to top down Fallout 4 or 3D Fallout 1/2?

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer

Hi, welcome here! Have you ever been here before? Enjoy your stay here, don't be afraid of local dogs posters cause for most part they only bark, not bite. Especially if you feed them with some juicy info about your game. Favourite food: Incline

According to you and your team what would be RPG and in your case tactical RPG? Are there stats, abilities, attributes and other numbers or is it more simplified?

In other words is it closer to top down Fallout 4 or 3D Fallout 1/2?

Thanks! I've been reading through some forum posts about other RPGs earlier, but never registered before this. I'm one of those usual forum lurkers that don't register or talk too much (you know, these introvert coders living in dark dungeons).

The question is excellent as well!
I think character development is more in line with Fallout 4 than Fallout 1/2. There are stats and different kinds of skills, but the focus is not that much in the numbers that there often are in RPGs these days. That said, I'd personally compare the combat aspects more a bit closer towards what there is in Divinity Original Sin series. So, lots of interactivity with entertainment and different elements/skills.

We are also trying to build a game where there is less focus on grinding and more focus on character progress through story itself. In practice it means for example that new skills are mostly gained through progress in levels and the way you complete them.

Of course we are currently very much in development (pre-alpha stage), so lots of the things are subject to change based on what is found out to be fun experience and what not.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm adding this to the wall of shame, which means that it must be released at some point.

ushas

Savant
FIGHT - DIE - ADAPT

Iron Danger is a story driven tactical RPG with simultaneous turns. It is a streamlined, action-packed single-player game in which repetitive grinding is kept to a minimum and every moment advances the story. The player controls Kipuna and one of two individual companion characters in tactically challenging battles against a variety of different threats. At center stage in combat is the unique time shifting mechanic that represents Kipuna’s magical influence over the flow of time. It gives the player the ability to rewind at any point with fraction-of-a-second precision, pinpointing strikes to enemies’ unguarded moments, deflecting and dodging attacks exactly when they happen, synchronizing magical and physical attacks to overwhelm difficult enemies, and overcoming impossible odds through trial and error. Iron Danger challenges you to think of combat and puzzles from a different perspective: you may be an experienced gamer who knows all the tricks, but you’ve never played a game like this.

Sounds interesting!

Please be good :desu:

Hi hepphep , in case the time rewind mechanic is already fledged out:
-- Does it work like some sort of limited resource, eventually are there some payoffs?
-- Can we choose how far will rewind?
-- Apart imminent influence in puzzles/battles, can it happen that taking some short-term time-bending will lead to some long-term impact?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Simultaneous turns are pretty cool and I wish they were explored more! Looks decent so far :)

Citizen

Can't understand anything from video. Gameplay trailers should be gameplay trailers as in "3 minutes of actual playing", not short pieces of video with explosions :argh:. And what kind of simultaneous turns the devs are talking about? Standart IGOUGO, but with ability to do independent actions simultaneously like in age of wonders (though I don't now how it can be implemented in a small-scale tactics game), or WeGo (think Combat Mission)?

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
Hi hepphep , in case the time rewind mechanic is already fledged out:
-- Does it work like some sort of limited resource, eventually are there some payoffs?
-- Can we choose how far will rewind?
-- Apart imminent influence in puzzles/battles, can it happen that taking some short-term time-bending will lead to some long-term impact?

Time rewinding mechanic is fully functional already, but we are tweaking it and few things are still open for future changes. One of those is to decide if it will be limited resource. Originally we thought that it is unlimited, but some good suggestions and insights in our pre-alpha testing round turned us back to consider also limiting it as resource. That is something that we will most likely decide after our next major AI and skills update where we get difficulty level increased. In any case there will be limitation on how far back in time you can rewind, which will set the time window for your actions to be less than 10 seconds (the exact amount will still be tweaked while balancing things). It might seem like it is sort of save yourself all the time trick, but we are actually aiming to build encounters that force you to think few steps forward, otherwise you could paint yourself in corner and cannot rewind back far enough to get saved.

And yes, you can decide how far you can rewind, inside that given cap. You can rewind in "chunks" of 0.5 seconds for now.

Could you eloborate more about the third question about long-term impacts, not sure if I caught correcly what you meant with it?

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
Circuit there will be another gameplay videos with more focus on longer runs of gameplays later on when we near the alpha. The basic flow is that you can give your characters actions separately and then forward/rewind time and change those in specific points to synchronize their actions perfectly. Think a bit about scrubbing back and forth the timeline of video editing software. In this case you are trying the best possible way to solve encounter without painting yourself in the corner. So, it brings tactical combat even more puzzle-like than usual.

ushas

Savant
Perhaps having a speed slider would be handy.

Could you eloborate more about the third question about long-term impacts, not sure if I caught correcly what you meant with it?
Tbh. don't know myself. Think was trying to come with questions to get better overall understanding. Mechanically this sounds like some enhanced short-time quick save & reload, but it seems to be part of the story too, so curious how further it's incorporated, if there is some recognition of your actions outside of individual encounters/puzzles, for example, perhaps you made some decision and then reconsider and it changes someone's destiny later on or so. But I don't know how story and C&C heavy your game is gonna be.

KateMicucci

Arcane
That said, I'd personally compare the combat aspects more a bit closer towards what there is in Divinity Original Sin series. So, lots of interactivity with entertainment and different elements/skills.

We are also trying to build a game where there is less focus on grinding and more focus on character progress through story itself.
You had me at DOS combat.

You lost me at "story".

vazha

Arcane
Circuit there will be another gameplay videos with more focus on longer runs of gameplays later on when we near the alpha. The basic flow is that you can give your characters actions separately and then forward/rewind time and change those in specific points to synchronize their actions perfectly. Think a bit about scrubbing back and forth the timeline of video editing software. In this case you are trying the best possible way to solve encounter without painting yourself in the corner. So, it brings tactical combat even more puzzle-like than usual.
You've said all the right things so far, so I m intrigued by the premise. Two questions though:
1. How much is the world & Setting influenced by the Finnish epic of the same name? I loved reading Kalevala when I was a schoolboy. I wish more games create worlds based on authentic mythologies than generic elf orc dwarf crap. Also cannt fathom how came that Irish myths (Cu Chulainn & Co) havent made it into the world of gaming yet.
2. What's with the cartoony art direction? is it there, erm, to imply that the story will be also lightearted & save princess animu kind of fare?

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
Perhaps having a speed slider would be handy.

Tbh. don't know myself. Think was trying to come with questions to get better overall understanding. Mechanically this sounds like some enhanced short-time quick save & reload, but it seems to be part of the story too, so curious how further it's incorporated, if there is some recognition of your actions outside of individual encounters/puzzles, for example, perhaps you made some decision and then reconsider and it changes someone's destiny later on or so. But I don't know how story and C&C heavy your game is gonna be.

Ah, mainly the time manipulation itself is for shorter terms, but not limited to just the combat themselves. So, not rewinding back for a day or two to change things are in plan (at least currently, of course if we find that to serve the game well things are open to change). It allows you short-time quick save kind of things as well of course, but the main focus is to give very new tactical aspect that makes you think more forward to not paint you in corner and turns battles more puzzle-like in the sense. There are some story twists where Kipuna is using those skills to change how the things end up happening outside the combat as well in the shorter term, but will not give spoilers out for them. We also have plenty of ideas of things that would sort of act differently in time, bringing new kind of elements in there, but it remains to be seen what kind of things end up into the game in the end.

I hope this rambling shed even some light on what you were looking for.

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
That said, I'd personally compare the combat aspects more a bit closer towards what there is in Divinity Original Sin series. So, lots of interactivity with entertainment and different elements/skills.

We are also trying to build a game where there is less focus on grinding and more focus on character progress through story itself.
You had me at DOS combat.

You lost me at "story".

Good that we got you at least for part of the time, then we have still hope on stealing your gamer soul at some point!

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
You've said all the right things so far, so I m intrigued by the premise. Two questions though:
1. How much is the world & Setting influenced by the Finnish epic of the same name? I loved reading Kalevala when I was a schoolboy. I wish more games create worlds based on authentic mythologies than generic elf orc dwarf crap. Also cannt fathom how came that Irish myths (Cu Chulainn & Co) havent made it into the world of gaming yet.
2. What's with the cartoony art direction? is it there, erm, to imply that the story will be also lightearted & save princess animu kind of fare?

Excellent questions
1. It'll not be exact copy of Kalevala, but more like we are using it for lots of inspirations (as other Finnish folklore), so there will be lots of things in game that originate from it, but might have gone through wild changes before ending up in the game. For example, in old Finnish folklore there are creatures like Keijus or Keijunkaiset (nowadays keiju = fairy/pixie in Finnish). In old folklore they were these tiny dustlike creatures that took part of rotting the dead corpses and caused the stench of the death. Later on, they got more influence from south and turned to these fairy tale pixies later on. In our game, they have inspired Keyus, which are somewhat blend in between. They are these small feyish creatures who rot the corpses and nest on places of death. There are some things that are more closely originated from Kalevala as well (or at least give strong nod to to them), like witch queen of the north, Lowhee (Kalevala has Louhi) who rules from city of Pohjola. They have their own backstory in the world of Iron Danger of how they came to rule Pohjola and so on, which you don't find in Kalevala and so on. So, if you expect exact copy of Kalevala, you will be disappointed. If you love fresh new world that has its roots in same stories as Kalevala, there is good chance that you'll love it.

2. Well, there are lots of art directions to choose from, we ended up with this. I think the story is blend in between lighthearted adventure and darker themes. For example if you take a look at some Northern soldiers (you can find some animated in our twitter page for example), you notice that their turretmen are sort of abominations made of poor people and machinery. So yes, we want our world to be fantasy-like and has beautiful fairy tale feel in it, but it is not just sunshine and happy creatures kind of stuff in there.

Here is some concept art of Keyus and quickly taken dev screenshot of unlucky turret guy.

upload_2018-5-12_10-34-44.png
upload_2018-5-12_10-37-23.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom