Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Superhero themed games that arent retarded

Quatlo

Arcane
I want to dm a game for a bunch of friends thats superhero themed, but I'm having difficulties to find any internet forum thats not littered by a bunch of dumbfucks that somehow love EVERY SINGLE FUCKING GAME.
I hate Marvel with a passion, so I want to DM something different, Marvel RPG is out from the get go.

So I come to you men, to give me the least shit from dm perspective game to run. I need a game that is flexible, so I can accomodate my player needs for superpowers but also not a complete pain in the ass to wing it as a dm, I dont want to spend the next week planning every npc they meet.
My players are pretty new so I dont want them to drown in 9001 minmaxing rules possible, so I guess the older systems are out. There is a fuckton of new, hipster systems like savage worlds out there, that pretty much make them dumbfuck glorified storytelling, I'm not a fan of those aswell.

What I'm looking for: flexibility, medium crunch when it comes to rules, and "freshness", so its not another fucking D20 game reskinned as something else. I dont care about the fluff, I'll make it on the spot.

Falksi

Arcane
DM every game!

d2801f1692f3fc2d32e323e7c945f242.jpg

danger_mouse_in_double_trouble.png

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm no expert at supers games, but I did play in a few sessions that used the BRP (Big Gold Book) and it was fun. Underlying mechanics are pretty simple like all BRP-based games.
  • Roll under percentile system: at a glance your character knows if they are good at something or not.
  • NPCs are as complex or as simple as you want them to be (stat up a couple of skills they might need, throw in a few powers, and if they become more important to the campaign finish them up as needed.
  • Probably better suited to a "Batman" level game rather "Superman," but YMMV.
More opinions and discussion can be found here. Maybe worth a punt?
https://basicroleplaying.org/forum/56-superworld/

Mustawd

I've heard the exalted ruleset is really good for really overpowered characters. Maybe you can adapt to superhero?

The game uses ten-sided dice and a variation of the Storyteller System[4] to arbitrate the action, and, as with many other RPGs, requires little beyond the rulebooks themselves, dice, pencil, and paper. The Exalted version of the rules were derived from the trilogy of White Wolf Publishing games Aeon (Trinity), Aberrant, and Adventure where the idea of a fixed target number of 7 or higher was first introduced.

Characters may be frequently presented with challenges that normal human beings, even within the context of the game, would find difficult, deadly, or simply impossible. However, as the chosen champions of greater powers, each Exalt possesses Charms, which may either enhance their natural capabilities or manifest as shows of great power. An Exalt with low-level archery charms might find her arrows hitting with preternatural accuracy, while greater faculty might allow her to shoot without difficulty to the edge of her vision, or turn a single arrow into a deadly rain of ammunition.

The Exalted frequently power their charms with accumulated Essence, a universal energy that flows through and comprises Creation and other worlds. While normally their Essence recovered slowly through rest, in the first two editions they could also regain it more quickly by performing stunts, actions given special description and embellishment by the players. In the third edition stunts no longer regenerate Essence, but combat automatically causes Essence stores to refill quickly. However, stunts continue to exist, and their primary benefit—adding extra dice to the actions they describe, thus enhancing the possibility of success—remains.

But yah. Hero WOULD BE GOOD i IMAGINE. jUST GET A GOOD gm.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I don't think he wants Hero on the basis of what he said in the OP

anyway I don't know shit about superhero rpgs but I have no life so I must post. Therefore here's a few I've heard about but not read or played

FASERIP - generic clone version of the old 80s TSR Marvel game. Free so no Marvel content, obvs.
Capes, Cowls, and Villains Foul - I read one of this companies other games a few years ago, called Cartoon Action Hour, which was designed to emulate cheesy 80s Saturday morning cartoons, and thought it had some good ideas (don't ask, as I said it was years ago and I can't remember any more). This is presumably the superhero version.
BASH! - 'Basic Action Super Heroes'. Got some good press a few years ago.
Villains and Vigilantes - Another clone of an old game. For money this time.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
For flexibility you can't get beat GURPS Supers, especially when mixed with other sourcebooks, though it's a beast of a game for GMing so maybe that's out.
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Supers/

A more modern game that was pretty popular for awhile was Mutants and Masterminds. The game is also flexible and has plenty of supplemental books. The link will lead you to a webpage with a free quick-play pdf.
https://mutantsandmasterminds.com/

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Savage Worlds Super Powers might be what you're looking for. Character building is better than vanilla SW due to powers, and the Toughness-Shaken system lends itself better to heroic-style games.

Echoing Lord Rocket and Deuce Broveler, I've heard good things about BASH and Mutants and Masterminds too, but haven't tried either.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
tmntrpg.jpg

I don't know how the powers work with this anymore, but I sure as hell wish I bought it all those years ago when I saw it on the racks.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Like Mustawd. said, Exalted is a superhero rpg system in an unique and highly developed setting.

White Wolf also published a pulp superhero setting called Adventure! that had a lot of interesting powers. In fact the entire Trinity series are superhero settings, followed by Aberrant and Aeon. I've only read the Adventure! rulebook. It's short (tiny in fact) and very good.

Finally, Robin Laws' Feng Shui is a gorgeous setting and system for kung-fu type action that you can fit around superheroic themes.

But I'm a White Wolf shill so...

RPG_adventure%21_cover.jpg
5148FZVKqrL._SL1200___69082.1500664388.1280.1280.jpg
2914.jpg

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Mutants and Masterminds 3E actually had a rebranded version as an official DC roleplaying game. Produced a more modern DC atlas and lots of example characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom