Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure the whale thing is that outrageous? Do you know what hunting a whale is like? It's a long and bloody business, not one shot to the neck and you're done. A man who has a kinship for mammals likely wouldn't enjoy the experience. And it's not like he leaves the party in a huff, he just doesn't approve.

but whale is fucking delicious... had it in a restaurant in Japan.. fucking amazing... shit is marbled w/ fat and just melts in your mouth.. has a salty red meat taste that turns into an oceanic aftertaste. absolutely amazing.

hunt all the whales I say..

Parabalus

Arcane
Damn Feargus almost sunk my ship. He's hanging around the Black Isle if anyone wants to pay him a visit.

Is there really any (traditionally)strong male at all in a leading role in this game? Eothas maybe but he is an artificial god so can you really say if he really has a gender?

The Deadfire company and Huana are both ruled by women, Fleetmaster/Queen, but the real power is with the male Secretary/Prince. Both women are kinda "alpha" and the men cold and calculated.

Perkel

Arcane
Is it better than divos2 at least?

So far miles better. Honestly this is pretty weird. I expected DOS2 to be insta classic and PoE2 be better than PoE1 but still meh but it got reversed. PoE2 looks so far like Goty material while DOS2 dies under thumb of retarded combat designers.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
While I certainly noticed the overabundance of females in traditionally male roles and thought it was a bit funny how obvious the bias of the writers was here, it didn't really bother me since the women weren't really "strong women" (tm) and felt reasonably normal.

You don't have to be a raging sexist to notice this..

Is there really any (traditionally)strong male at all in a leading role in this game? Eothas maybe but he is an artificial god so can you really say if he really has a gender?

Even with the dual-aspect Berath, the male aspect is just a doorman. Raaaaaaaaaage. :D

Prime Junta

The thing that's niggling me about the writing in DF is that most of the characters are such blatant self-inserts. There's no genuine feel of cultural distance there, of people acting from values and assumptions that are fairly radically different. It's a middle-class American's idea of what exotic natives from tropical climes are like: funny accents and cool fashions but nothing that goes past the superficial.

P1 managed this better, I think. Sagani and Zahua were more than Californians in funny clothes. There was a real attempt there at writing someone who really does think differently, yet in ways that make sense in context.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
lesbos and gurl power are tertiary at best compared to how retarded the rest of the entire textual/screenplay side of this game is

i dont think there's even a single semi-competent writer left at obsidian at this point

which is about as funny as it is tragic
Carrie Patel, the narrative lead of PoE2, explains here some valuable lessons she learned while writing Song of the Dead. Such staggering and earth shattering work. You should check it out.

Carrie did perfectly fine work in WM though.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Others weilding the old "Oh, there is no agenda there!"-defense when there clearly is?

there's a difference between going 'squeeeee my character is the perfectest, she's so smart and brave and sassy and everyone love her :3' which is just typical bad writing of someone who can't make real characters and 'hóhóhó now i shall convert everyone to FEMINISM' that y'all are claiming is going on here

as AwesomeButton said - the writers of poe2 are too incompetent and stupid to think in agenda terms, they just go with the flow and add whatever shit they think is cool

it's simply horrible fucking writing all around, nothing more, nothing less - people got so used to malice in public discourse or whatever that they are now projecting it everywhere as assumed agenda when all that's actually going around is pure, old-fashioned incompetence
Even those feminists who are feminists just because it's cool instead of being the most educated and aware ones are still feminists.

Parabalus

Arcane
Is it better than divos2 at least?

I barely got to the boat with the worm in Divinity, utterly boring. Coop made it tolerable, still couldn't play any more. I finished D:OS EE fwiw.

Deadfire is miles better, game hooks you from the start and won't let go.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Really you don't find the world and the characters interesting? I'd say the exact opposite. PoE's world was bland, this one has so much flavor and detail, it's really a pleasure to explore
Nope. Maybe it's because I understand italian (although I am not italian) and everytime an expression comes up I just cringe and it completely takes me out of the game. It's also ridiculous that to follow a conversation I have to read up wiki entries.
Yeah I also understand the origin of almost all the made up words, I'm Greek, "una fazza una razza" we say :P But that's not what I mean by the world, I mean the locations and the stories behind them etc. Very well made imo. Even random locations are intersting

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's all a huge horse before the cart thing. The alarm is false. Because no one can seriously push any sort of agenda when he is so inept at saying even the things he is explicitly charged with saying. None of those literary geniuses is capable of weaving an agenda into his writing. The peak of creativity is making your character do gorilla sounds and point to his genitals. Look at me, I can do it with boys and with girls!

This is exactly what I was going say. The prose, themes and characters are too impotent to successfully push any kind of agenda, even if such an agenda exists, which I don't think it does. I know they are inserting gay people and powerful womyns on purpose, but it's not an agenda, it's more like being filtered through the zeitgeist. It's kind of hard to explain.

2house2fly

Magister
While I certainly noticed the overabundance of females in traditionally male roles and thought it was a bit funny how obvious the bias of the writers was here, it didn't really bother me since the women weren't really "strong women" (tm) and felt reasonably normal.

You don't have to be a raging sexist to notice this..

Are you joking? Eder is as traditionally strong as it gets

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But why even use this lense in the first place?

Again, I keep pointing this out, we're not the ones using the lens

But yes OMG Codexers are making such a big deal about this stuff goys!

See, I sympathize with this, but the thing is, right here, right now, the SJWs aren't the ones who are boring me to sleep, you guys are

There's only so many different ways to basically say "This game evokes the general mindset of the liberal millennials who wrote it" before it gets old. Sorry but you do not get a medal from me for noticing the obvious

As it is, anti-SJWs have gotten so paranoid that they're starting to freak out about traditional fantasy kitsch. Like if they went back and watched Xena: Warrior Princess they'd get mad about the strong womyn or something

Perkel

Arcane
Random thought.

I love that everything is expensive. I play already about 40 hours and i am basically Mcscrooge and count every coin i have not spending it any of it because i have some goals on horizon for that money. So i am sailing in my ship covered in birdshit (Betrayed Hylea)

One thing i would love to see would be instant travel in cities. In annoys me greatly when i need to move past 2-3 buildings just to exit current map.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Random thought.

I love that everything is expensive. I play already about 40 hours and i am basically Mcscrooge and count every coin i have not spending it any of it because i have some goals on horizon for that money. So i am sailing in my ship covered in birdshit (Betrayed Hylea)
Yeap. Already failed to pay wages once or twice. Didn't expect that after drowning in gold in PoE

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's all a huge horse before the cart thing. The alarm is false. Because no one can seriously push any sort of agenda when he is so inept at saying even the things he is explicitly charged with saying. None of those literary geniuses is capable of weaving an agenda into his writing. The peak of creativity is making your character do gorilla sounds and point to his genitals. Look at me, I can do it with boys and with girls!

This is exactly what I was going say. The prose, themes and characters are too impotent to successfully push any kind of agenda, even if such an agenda exists, which I don't think it does. I know they are inserting gay people and powerful womyns on purpose, but it's not an agenda, it's more like being filtered through the zeitgeist. It's kind of hard to explain.
Well, okay, worded that way it makes more sense.
But is still besides the point. We aren't complaining that they're so successfull in their brainwashing. We're complaining about the "on purpose" part.

Prime Junta

Deadfire is miles better, game hooks you from the start and won't let go.

But is it because of the writing? Thing that hooks me is the setting and the exploration. There's just so much stuff to do and discover, and a lot of it is genuinely delightful -- the locations, the items, the fights, the sheer variety of everything, plus the way the world feels like it exists on its own terms and not just as a theme park for your benefit (more than in most cRPGs anyway). I can't think of many games since BG2 that have given the feeling that there are secrets to discover behind every door and under every rock. So I'm really digging the worldbuilding and the way it's hooked up to a whole bunch of game systems -- the faction reputations, the impact that has on party relations, and so on.

Conversely, I'm not really that interested in what's up with Eothas, nor have I developed any particularly strong fee-fees (pro or con) for any of the companions. (But then TBH that's the case for BG2 as well -- apart from a few turnip jokes and some really well-delivered monologues for Irenicus, the writing isn't anything to write home about either.)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
But why even use this lense in the first place?

Again, I keep pointing this out, we're not the ones using the lens

But yes OMG Codexers are making such a big deal about this stuff goys!

See, I sympathize with this, but the thing is, right here, right now, the SJWs aren't the ones who are boring me to sleep, you guys are

There's only so many different ways to basically say "This game evokes the general mindset of the liberal millennials who wrote it" before it gets old. Sorry but you do not get a medal from me for noticing the obvious

As it is, anti-SJWs have gotten so paranoid that they're starting to freak out about traditional fantasy kitsch. Like if they went back and watched Xena: Warrior Princess they'd get mad about the strong womyn or something

I wasn't aware you handed out medals, and am now concerned/curious as to what might be involved in the attainment of such trophies. :P

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The thing that's niggling me about the writing in DF is that most of the characters are such blatant self-inserts. There's no genuine feel of cultural distance there, of people acting from values and assumptions that are fairly radically different. It's a middle-class American's idea of what exotic natives from tropical climes are like: funny accents and cool fashions but nothing that goes past the superficial.

P1 managed this better, I think. Sagani and Zahua were more than Californians in funny clothes. There was a real attempt there at writing someone who really does think differently, yet in ways that make sense in context.

Yes, this is what instantly struck me as possibility and made me think dialogue in this game will be low in quality when I first read the beta text and it had bunch of foreign words put in random places. This is not how bilingual people speak, this is what American middle-class monolingual people think they speak like. It all looked like it would be filtered through lenses of this sheltered American middle-class with no social or historical knowledge.

I slightly expected Sawyer to whip them into shape a bit, but it seems he wasn't strict. That's why it seems odd too because quests seem well-designed but the dialogue that fills them is low quality. Hell, it's not even stuff I think Carrie Patel wrote, it just seems that there are a lot of sheltered American young adults with no world perspective whatsoever writing in this game.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why is it that Obsidian is so slow with patches? I'm curious, not flaming.

Valve once released 7 patches to Dota 2 in a single day.

because Valve are ALPHA CHADS who just push out updates when they are done since that is the purpose of steam.. the VIRGIN OBSIDIAN has a console plantation mentality and they feel the need to do testing for days on their patches (and still fuck shit up, leading to another patch anyways)

Perkel

Arcane
Random thought 2:

I wish Obsidian went back to PoE1 and change those systems to PoE2 system. Enchanced edition ?

Last edited:
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't think that "fantasy writers" often have strong enough of a character not to write zeitgeist (or "the usual stuff") instead of their own, auteur thing. Zaum they are not. We can leave it at that.
They are not well-read, don’t have meaningful real life experiences, and lack personality and guts to think for themselves. This new generation is so hooked on internet culture that the new mediocre is worse than the past illiterate. Their formal training (style lessons, English lessons, etc.) is in bad shape and only adds to the problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom