Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just from reading what VD has posted over the years I believe he is very perceptive and has a great mind for looking at things and coming to different and smarter conclusions than other people. As well he seems unafraid to act on the different opinions he comes to even when he is going against the consensus. I guess part of it is an ability to trust his own conclusions and not be too afraid of making mistakes. He seems to have no problem bucking conventional wisdom..... likely even relishes it. Good attributes IMO for a guy running his own small company.
What I find curious is how much guessing and imitation takes place in game design. Because sequels work most of the time with blockbusters in the film industry, triple-A publishers create a whole business model based on the same sequel mentality, but then medium and smaller studios think they can do the same thing and fail. It’s not rocket science. You can just check the numbers by yourself to see that this doesn’t work most of the time.

Sentinel

Arcane
unknown.png

I'm loving the itemization in this game. YUGE! improvement over anything that predates it.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Didn't Josh say that the spell lists would be in its majority new stuff with a couple returning spells from PoE1 to make the lv1-16 grind fresh?
I don't think I've seen a new spell so far on Aloth aside from those 2 spells on the last row.
I don't know if it's what he meant to say, but they're all modified to fit the counter mechanic and the new affliction and interrupt system.
They also all have new animations, on the esthetic side.
But yeah, they're the same spells. As long as the name and the general idea is concerned.

On another note, there seems to be quite a lot of broken quest strings. I'm having several dialogues options referencing stuff I haven't seen or heard about. The most glaring case is around Arkemyr's manor, where you can ask about a tablet before encountering the two dudes who give you this quest. I also have an empty dialogue option with fishboi about the prince and whatnot, and I have no idea wtf this is about.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I'm loving the itemization in this game. YUGE! improvement over anything that predates it.
I find it to be the strongest aspect so far. I found a sabre which can be upgraded to apply a random affliction on crit. Thing is the sabre itself has a unique trait which makes crit chances go up as the fight goes.
Couple that with my rogue's riposte, and I got an insanely powerful combination.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The game is already falling like a rock on steam top selling page, even dropped on 7th place for a few moments. This is a monumental failure and I think this will be the end of the franchise, at least for a while.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I find it funny that what deadfire does better than all competition is itemisation. Who expected that?

Most people who bothered to play White March.

I did like itemisation in white march, however it was still comparable to BG and the like. Now however when I read some of the items, and compare it to older and newer RPGs it seems to be on a different level altogether. If only Sawyer can balance it so there is a reason to use this variety instead of just giving attack move in all encounters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I am now out of this thread. People like Prime Junta are so invested in the game, that they no longer can be intellectually honest about anything concerning the game. And these people will never engage in a debate.

You think you have a point but you don't. Most people here aren't IE nostalgiafags, if you want to engage in IE nostalgiafaggotry they generally hate this game. Talk to Sensuki about it.

Apparently it received a high praise from codexers - "barely shit"

Obsidian will never have another soundtrack this good, though:

Main theme by Might & Magic's Paul Romero

Let's not forget Paul Romero also composed a lot of the soundtrack for the original Everquest. I'm sure this (although not orchestrated) will hit many people right in the feels:

Parabalus

Arcane
I find it funny that what deadfire does better than all competition is itemisation. Who expected that?

Most people who bothered to play White March.

I did like itemisation in white march, however it was still comparable to BG and the like. Now however when I read some of the items, and compare it to older and newer RPGs it seems to be on a different level altogether. If only Sawyer can balance it so there is a reason to use this variety instead of just giving attack move in all encounters.

Unless you play a cheesy custom party no way you can just attack move on PotD. Maybe with the AI settings, but it would still take setup.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game can use some more shortcuts to several locations to cut down the number of loading screens. For example why does Valera estate has two entrances to the first floor but none to second floor, while there's only NPC interaction in second floor? :rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom