Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
he even hates hunting whales for food

another thing i laughed hard at

'kaptin, we're starvin', but there's this whale here'
'good, ready the harpoons'
'OMG ANIMAL CRUELTY (eder will remember this)'

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Regarding Xoti,

I got the option to make her empty her lantern at any adra pillar.
But it seems that I can avoid doing that and make her absorb even more souls, which are correctly registered in the journal, in the appropriate entry (even if you're several steps after it).
Has someone done that, and if so : is there a significant event that occurs by overflowing her lantern ?

Also, it appears that weak AR for monsters don't show up in the bestiary ? Some xaurip has 10 AR but my Edér weilding bludgeoning damage weapons was met with 5.
If this is intentional, I'm not sure to understand why it's like that. Having to check the combat log to spot enemies weaknesses doesn't sound right. Especially since the whole design puts the emphasis on clearly showing this stuff : even in expert, you can simply hover over an enemy to see his immunities, resistances and weaknesses.

btw i'm at my 5th crash now. It occurs when attempting to alt-tab during loading screens (which, btw, are still fucking long at times, them being better than in the first game doesn't really fix the issue). My screen goes black and the whole mess is completely unresponsive.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Seems like Obsidian are so proud of having come up with any kind of character trait, they turned it up to 11 and it became a caricature.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Set combat speed to second slowest
Strongly recommended. I already reckoned this was the perfect speed setting for me during the last beta update.

Seems like Obsidian are so proud of having come up with any kind of character trait, they turned it up to 11 and it became a caricature.
Indeed. Although, i'd have that over the complete lack of presence and somewhat desincarnated aspect of the companions in the former game. Especially since I like the caricatural traits of several of them (Serafen and Xoti mostly).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am proud to say that i managed to clear a quartet of the map,except one ship that is bugged and can't fight him.
123.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure the whale thing is that outrageous? Do you know what hunting a whale is like? It's a long and bloody business, not one shot to the neck and you're done. A man who has a kinship for mammals likely wouldn't enjoy the experience. And it's not like he leaves the party in a huff, he just doesn't approve.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Be careful when studying grimories, some of them actually have super little line of text at the beginning that actually states it may has unique properties when used.

...goddamn aztec athkatla and it shops and amount of things I need to buy and track and remember.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
With this caveat, I like the pacing.
Set combat speed to second slowest, make movements and animations fluid and slower instead of sharp and sudden, and fasten everything by 10% maybe I say. That would be ideal combat speed for me.
I'm not even touching the Combat Speed slider btw. And in fact my problem never was with the speed of animations themselves, it was with the widely varying pauses between hits.

BTW, I've found the perfect values for walking speed when out of combat, so the walk toggle is actually usable. It's now just fast enough to be nearly like the running speed, but not so fast that I can't click on moving NPCs. Looking at these awkward running animations, a bit slower than the actual rate of movement of the models, has always been annoying me.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The combat speed slider is quite annoying to deal with. YUou have to HOLD CLICK to move it around, and there's like 7 settings, and sometimes you move the mouse too fast and get a wrong wrtting.

Why couldn't you make this better or a hotkey? fack ju Sawyer.

Also, its funny they took an extra month of bugfixing, when theres quite abit of bugs left.. imagine how many bugs if release was april .D

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The combat speed slider is quite annoying to deal with. YUou have to HOLD CLICK to move it around, and there's like 7 settings, and sometimes you move the mouse too fast and get a wrong wrtting.

Why couldn't you make this better or a hotkey? fack ju Sawyer.

Also, its funny they took an extra month of bugfixing, when theres quite abit of bugs left.. imagine how many bugs if release was april .D
Check in the options, there may be unbound settings for hotkeys. There is even a spot where you can set a key which will directly open the save screen, so these may be included too.

Project: Eternity
Wait Pillars have Romances now? Wasn't obsidian fairly outspoken against them during kickstarter of first?
A squad of very creative and gifted writers set out to write the companions and they all reached the same conclusion, that a bisexual person has twice the chance to get laid, and we know that getting laid is always a good thing, in whatever circumstances it occurs.

So, presented with the choice about their characters' sexuality, all those talented writers chose to make their characters bisexual.

Yes, just like in Dragon Age II, although Bioware at least admitted this happend as a bug which they left in. In Deadfire apparently it was done on purpose.

Didn't it seem odd to them? Did they discuss it between themselves? Was there a narrative lead to give direction and veto this madness? It is a mystery. What we know is that everyone wants to bang everything.
What other enlightened and progressive ideas bioware wannabes gave us in this game?

Parabalus

Arcane
Regarding Xoti,

I got the option to make her empty her lantern at any adra pillar.
But it seems that I can avoid doing that and make her absorb even more souls, which are correctly registered in the journal, in the appropriate entry (even if you're several steps after it).
Has someone done that, and if so : is there a significant event that occurs by overflowing her lantern ?

Also, it appears that weak AR for monsters don't show up in the bestiary ? Some xaurip has 10 AR but my Edér weilding bludgeoning damage weapons was met with 5.
If this is intentional, I'm not sure to understand why it's like that. Having to check the combat log to spot enemies weaknesses doesn't sound right. Especially since the whole design puts the emphasis on clearly showing this stuff : even in expert, you can simply hover over an enemy to see his immunities, resistances and weaknesses.

btw i'm at my 5th crash now. It occurs when attempting to alt-tab during loading screens (which, btw, are still fucking long at times, them being better than in the first game doesn't really fix the issue). My screen goes black and the whole mess is completely unresponsive.

Her lantern has two upgrades, and the +damage one locked out when I did as you did. Presumably the opposite is possible and leads to that one.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Hm, dicks are indeed out in the bath house

And a naked gay 80 year old man tried to hit on me there riiight away.

yeah I'm not surprised at anything anymore. if a gay octopus crawls out of the sea and offers me forbidden love for a bag of pearls I'd be like lol ok.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm not sure the whale thing is that outrageous?

It is because Eder is (or at least used to be in poe1) a down-to-earth, no-nonsense guy, and you are hunting that whale for food, not for the lulz, because the prospect of starvation at open sea is not a pretty one.

Grab the Codex by the pussy

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The funny thing is they made Eder one dimensional. Before it was like this down-to-earth dude that also likes animals, and doesn't that add his character depth? Now it's like extreme animal rights activist. Sure make him criticise petty animal cruelty, that's cool but going towards mass starvation as a crew is just retarded.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
This will be a big coming out for me, but... eh, I like this game so far. Biggest positive surprise for me since forever. I didn't play long enough to post coherent impressions (game seems huge) and there are still some obvious problems (various things connected to combat remain the biggest one), but yes, it's very enjoyable for me as a person who disliked PoE1 and dislikes obsidian games in general.

And for the love of all that's holy, even if the game tanks and obsidian burns do not let these production values go to waste. Having a proper tb party based crpg with good encounter design that looks and moves like PoE2 would bring us back to nineties levels of incline.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The funny thing is they made Eder one dimensional. Before it was like this down-to-earth dude that also likes animals, and doesn't that add his character depth? Now it's like extreme animal rights activist. Sure make him criticise petty animal cruelty, that's cool but going towards mass starvation as a crew is just retarded.
You guys are over-dissecting this game. In the end, characters and the story are not the selling point of the game. No one outside of hardcore fans cares about either. yeah, citation needed. But I haven't seen any real interest in "eora" or shit alike.

You are overthinking, believe it or not the people who are superfan systemfags that adore IE for its depth of RTWP combat are rare. Most people that play RPGs play them for other reasons. I couldn't careless if this game was turn-based or not, I have no love for IE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom