Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trithne

Erudite
i shoop grapeshot at pirate ship

says it's at "2/8 crew"

my crew is 8 dudes + 4 party members

combat starts

my 4 party members + 4 random crewmen are now in combat vs 10 pirates who alpha strike kill 2 of my dudes with pistols or whatever

what

:hmmm:
:littlemissfun:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
i shoop grapeshot at pirate ship

says it's at "2/8 crew"

my crew is 8 dudes + 4 party members

combat starts

my 4 party members + 4 random crewmen are now in combat vs 10 pirates who alpha strike kill 2 of my dudes with pistols or whatever

what

:hmmm:
I had that happen to me, which is why I went back to shooting the ships at range. It does not seem to injure or kill enemy crew members at the moment.

Bocian

Arcane
But no, GAY FISH! LALALALALALA...MUH SJWS!
There are people in this world that don't like pricks to spit them in the face and pretend it was raining. If you're fine with that, your business, but don't insult those that actually have some principles.

Bocian

Arcane
Eh, go back to jerking off Jordan Peterson or whatever. Not gay if the lobsters don't touch.
developer_flag.png

:killit:

Trashos

Arcane
I read the Markland thread but I don't recall anything about this. Link?

Eh, not likely right now. See (or remember) Markland's discussion on W2's portraits. For added effect, combine it with the description of California's biggest asshole Mayweather, which is (and I quote the W2 in-game description) "a white guy". In case we hadn't noticed.

I think you're approaching this the wrong way - Obsidian has justified bisexuality for the NPCs, that is anathema to the SJW. They are more likely to turn on them, like AwesomeButton noted a few pages back, than endorse them.

That's wishful thinking, honestly. Think how a teen kid is going to view such content, and it all becomes clear.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So the writing going to shit after they lost Avellone, Fenstermaker and Ziets wasn't just a meme. Honestly I am loving the setting visually and the presentation is top tier, but the main story is stupid and every dialogue so far has been painfully generic. It doesn't help that the voice acting is mostly unpleasant to listen to. That was a bad choice to go full VO. Most of this text is better skipped. Looking forward to leaving Neketaka and doing some good old dungeon crawling.

And goddamit, I could just ignore the tumblr fanfic shit... But literally the first conversation I had with Maia after taking her on as a companion was her stopping me and propositioning sex completely unprompted
rating_prosper.png

I think I've narrowed down what the problem with romances in fantasy games is. Romances are treated like real life (i.e. "modern", 2000 and on) "romances", unlike what a romance could actually be like in such a fantasy setting. In videogames, it is not so much "romance" as it is "fuck buddy fantasy". Writers really should get around to reading tons of classical books depicting actual romances. And watch many Hollywood films from the 30s and 40s, they have a much better idea of what a romance is as opposed to "we'll bang, ok?".

Big Wrangle

On one side, we have praise for improvements across the mehanical and visual board. On the other side, we have the plot and romances... and bugs.
As you can see, this is what Josh wanted. He became the Ubermensch and managed to establish a completely balanced thread about Pillars.
C3iSis_VYAAYtLi.jpg

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It does not matter, bisexual people are better people. I don't want straights as companions they are boring. Just the spectrum of attraction to masculine or feminine qualities rather than the binary gender attraction alone is more interesting.

Also why did Merlkir ignore me.

Your parents have been shit. Sorry.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

What sort of pseudo-Freudianism is this?

Ordinary everyday people aren't interesting, I do not want them in my fiction. You could make a game about the average person with no outliers going on his daily life without any events or particularities, it would be boring as hell. There is a reason why fiction is about extraordinary people or at least extraordinary situations.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I got only one bug in my game. Benny ignored bell and i was forced to use backup plan.
Good thing there is always backup plan.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the writing going to shit after they lost Avellone, Fenstermaker and Ziets wasn't just a meme. Honestly I am loving the setting visually and the presentation is top tier, but the main story is stupid and every dialogue so far has been painfully generic. It doesn't help that the voice acting is mostly unpleasant to listen to. That was a bad choice to go full VO. Most of this text is better skipped. Looking forward to leaving Neketaka and doing some good old dungeon crawling.

And goddamit, I could just ignore the tumblr fanfic shit... But literally the first conversation I had with Maia after taking her on as a companion was her stopping me and propositioning sex completely unprompted
rating_prosper.png

I think I've narrowed down what the problem with romances in fantasy games is. Romances are treated like real life (i.e. "modern", 2000 and on) "romances", unlike what a romance could actually be like in such a fantasy setting. In videogames, it is not so much "romance" as it is "fuck buddy fantasy". Writers really should get around to reading tons of classical books depicting actual romances. And watch many Hollywood films from the 30s and 40s, they have a much better idea of what a romance is as opposed to "we'll bang, ok?".
yup. I dont mind all thr gay stuff, but most romance nowadays are more or less taken from some harem hentai anime really, which bioware seems to steal from too.

Its not the sexuality, but how sex and romances is portrayed. Making everyone wants to fuck the mc seems like coming out of a persona games or whatever Japanese tentacle abyss it came from.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I find it funny that the bisexual guys are a person struggling with dissasociative identity disorder, a fish monster and a furry midget (aka rampantly mutated and abnormal genes). What are you trying to say, Obsidian?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
OK, seeing the exact same posts in that 4chan thread (good grief, why did I even look?) and here, the constant edginess makes sense.

Do you really need your stupidity validated that much you post completely identical shit in multiple places?

Meanwhile Codex is like "Yeah, it's ok, better than the first one."
But no, GAY FISH! LALALALALALA...MUH SJWS!

:nocountryforshitposters:

Larianniggers, the lot of them.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

What sort of pseudo-Freudianism is this?

Ordinary everyday people aren't interesting, I do not want them in my fiction. You could make a game about the average person with no outliers going on his daily life without any events or particularities, it would be boring as hell. There is a reason why fiction is about extraordinary people or at least extraordinary situations.

That's not what you said... You said bisexual people are better people. That is a qualitative assertion and if you believe that then you weren't raised properly. Your opinion and that you don't want binary or straight companions is opinion - no issue there.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
yup. I dont mind all thr gay stuff, but most romance nowadays are more or less taken from some harem hentai anime really, which bioware seems to steal from too.

Its not the sexuality, but how sex and romances is portrayed. Making everyone wants to fuck the mc seems like coming out of a persona games or whatever Japanese tentacle abyss it came from.

Pretty much. All of them have their place: the harem hentai romance is "believable" (using the term VERY loosely) in hentai. But not in a fucking fantasy setting. What feels natural in real life, for instance (from knowing someone to fucking them in a few hours) wasn't natural at all back in the 1700s, for instance.

One way or another, romances will always fail because they are set pieces as opposed to something you can constantly annoy an NPC about. So it's very hard to fail at a romance as opposed to succeeding: just say "yes", "I love you", "I want to be with you", and so on all the time. Mission accomplished. Why? Because it is always the NPC who wants to start the romance, and not you. The only thing in the way of fucking someone who wants to fuck you is saying "yes" or "no". Videogame romances will never not be bad, unless devs go out of their way to provide constant dialogue options to initiate romances on your own, potentially scaring that NPC away forever as you behave more like a stalker than a handsome blue prince.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That's not what you said... You said bisexual people are better people. That is a qualitative assertion and if you believe that then you weren't raised properly. Your opinion and that you don't want binary or straight companions is opinion - no issue there.

The spectrum of human attraction is curious and unexplored, amongst those bisexuals are the most interesting due their attraction being based on gender traits rather than genders themselves. In fiction which aims to explore human romantic interaction, bisexuals make best companions because they are specific and chosen, supposed to be distinct and apart from the crowd. Randos blending in the crowd being ordinary as they are can be straight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom