Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ask Josh about why no-romances first game, and everything hitting on meh this game 10 minutes in, what changed, is a bug, whaaaat is happening

He's said many times that he felt Obsidian didn't have the resources to implement romances in the first game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am playing at Classik mode. No way in hell i will be playing hard or pod like i did with my first play-trough in PoE1. Hard/potd spam enemies which throws out most of good design and i hated it in PoE1 because there combat design was just "put few wolves here and there done", No scaling either, game doesn't need that because you can go freely to places which are far beyond your level so if you want actual challenge you can just aim higher.

If this is like every RPG ever, you'll outlevel the content somewhere around the halfway point of the game. I'm thinking scale, but only upwards is the right setting.
I decided to upscale the critical path only. I dont mind roflstomping side content occasionally. I like to feel that my group is powerful some times

Parabalus

Arcane
Without spoilers, how do you rate the reactivity to decisions about companions which you've taken in PoE? I think Deadfire is surpassing Dragon Age, don't know about ME (never played that), and which other games can we compare to?

Did you mean DA 2->3? I don't remember 1->2 having anything significant about companions.

It's at least comparable to ME2&3. Both have import of epilogue states, but not sure if the small stuff changes anything, it did some minor things in ME.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I was going to enable upscaling when starter island was so easy, but it seems like I can't change this midway through the game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was going to enable upscaling when starter island was so easy, but it seems like I can't change this midway through the game.
This is , I believe, a common misconception - the starter island is in no way indicative of the difficulty of the game in general

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ask Josh about why no-romances first game, and everything hitting on meh this game 10 minutes in, what changed, is a bug, whaaaat is happening

He's said many times that he felt Obsidian didn't have the resources to implement romances in the first game.
You know it's just and excuse because of tackiness of that crap they ended up with. It's Dragonspear level shit here. Everyone is for my ass. I don't want to ride the whale.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What is even the point of improving most of the game mechanically when they're still shackled to the awful story from PoE1? I don't want to play that piece of shit just to understand what's going on in this game.

Perkel

Arcane
I am playing at Classik mode. No way in hell i will be playing hard or pod like i did with my first play-trough in PoE1. Hard/potd spam enemies which throws out most of good design and i hated it in PoE1 because there combat design was just "put few wolves here and there done", No scaling either, game doesn't need that because you can go freely to places which are far beyond your level so if you want actual challenge you can just aim higher.

If this is like every RPG ever, you'll outlevel the content somewhere around the halfway point of the game. I'm thinking scale, but only upwards is the right setting.

Whole point of character improvement is to stomp enemies that gave you trouble before which gives you sense of improvement. If you upscale or scale everything to your level then there is no point to character improvement.

Like i said in other part of my post if you feel like you are to powerful you can just aim higher. There is nothing stopping you from taking harder tasks beyond your level. From what i play now difficulty is "fair", i spend some time preparing for harder fights and i never get feeling it is super easy. Most of the time it is just result of my planning and managing combat than just pure stats.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
8veMTUe.png

Anyone know what these highlighted icons mean? I've deduced that the ones on the right are the defense associated with the hostile effect. What does the one on the left mean? The one right below cinder bomb says "Water, Frost", so it makes me think that it's some kind of "Countered by: Water, Frost", however the other ones don't have anything. Is the blue colour supposed to indicate "countered by Will Buff"?
How come this isn't explained anywhere? Fuck sake.

Also I was about to praise Megan Starks for Xoti, and this shit happens
even though I purposely decided not to pick the obvious romantic choice in the previous panel. What the fuck. There isn't even an option afterwards to push her away like an autist.

Its a counter icon

Plox no h8 on megan

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My 5 cents about the game, so far:

+ visual is great. Sometimes I just stay at the eviroments to see the details. Light, shadows, birds, trees, water... Oh my god, this is beautiful! Probably the best visuals for an isometric game, ever.

+ itemization is good and muuuuuch better than PoE

+ classes/ subclasses/ multiclasses are great

+ good dungeons and enemy placing. They learned a lot

+ soundtrack is ok

+ lot of small details/ easter eggs

+ good companions

+ plot is good enough so far

+ lot of those screens with "make your own adventure" style

+ really fun game

- wasted potential on some maps, like the port on the first island. The market just have one vendor. Really, obsidian?

- some placement makes no sense, like the beggar asking for food, but there is a lot of food in barrels near him. Or thr guy who lives in the biggest house on the main street of Port Something, complaining "someone stole my purse. How will I feed my son"? Sell your fucking house, I dont care!

Overall, the game is a lot of fun and a HUGE improvment on PoE1. I dont care about the bugs, they will be patched in some time, I dont care about Feargus being a massive asshole. At the end of the day he is not the guy who is there, working hard making this game. So, I think the game is solid and I am having a lot of fun playing. Thats all I need from a game.

When I saw Baldurs Gate for the first time, I was an AD&D player, I knew Forgotten Reams map, lore and NPCs better than I knew about Brazil. So, BG had a big emotional impact on me and masked a lot of faults in the game. I think Deadfire is a better game, overall. Just lack some charisma. Its a unfair comparision, actually.

But I just wish this game is good enough for us to have some fun and have more of this games for a long time.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Like i said in other part of my post if you feel like you are to powerful you can just aim higher. There is nothing stopping you from taking harder tasks beyond your level. From what i play now difficulty is "fair", i spend some time preparing for harder fights and i never get feeling it is super easy. Most of the time it is just result of my planning and managing combat than just pure stats.

Trouble is, if you outlevel the content you'll run out of those harder tasks. That's certainly what happened in P1.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

You know it's just and excuse because of tackiness of that crap they ended up with. It's Dragonspear level shit here. Everyone is for my ass. I don't want to ride the whale.
The funny thing is I remember Josh saying something to the effect of he wouldn't mind romances if they were done right, aka not the bioware playersexual companions who throw themselves at you once you raise some counter to an arbitrary number. And then that is exactly what he puts in the sequel. And then blames it on the writers who worked under his lead :lol:

Prime Junta

The funny thing is I remember Josh saying something to the effect of he wouldn't mind romances if they were done right, aka not the bioware playersexual companions who throw themselves at you once you raise some counter to an arbitrary number. And then that is exactly what he puts in the sequel. And then blames it on the writers who worked under his lead :lol:

Chris just suggested in the other thread that Josh has a tendency to give the companion writers too strict guidelines instead of letting them express their creativity freely. Perhaps he took that criticism to heart and loosened up here.

I.e. I do think this is a case of Josh letting the rosy-cheeked young writers run wild in their corner of the game. Knowing how Josh writes, I'm not sure you'd enjoy it more if he had given them specs for a half dozen Arcade Palleginas.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Here is a great thing to axe him then - "You said you don't mind romances if they are done right, and spoke about deep character interaction as opposed to Bioware style romances. How well do you think the Deadfire has fared in that aspect?"

Perkel

Arcane
Trouble is, if you outlevel the content you'll run out of those harder tasks. That's certainly what happened in P1.

Wait you mean you tackle game hardest content and improve yourself a lot then you don't like that you are better tackling lower level content ? Why strive to set bar higher then ?

Also from what i see just exploring at random doesn't really give much XP (especially since killing stuff doesn't net you a lot) so i don't think you can outlevel main story that fast, it is mostly loot you find and usually you find loot that needs enhancements that are very costly to be huge improvement.

PoE2 on easy mode?
Whats fucking wrong with you, son?

Well if you love fighting spam enemies everywhere like in PoE1 then i can ask you the same. Are you retarded mate ?
Hard in PoE1 was shit because you fought non stop big groups of enemies and i don't want to ruin my 1st playtrough this time like i did with PoE1. I'd rather leave it for replay.

What is even the point of improving most of the game mechanically when they're still shackled to the awful story from PoE1? I don't want to play that piece of shit just to understand what's going on in this game.

You don't need to play PoE1. It behaves exactly like BG1 to BG2. While there is connection you lose nothing really.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Given how easily impressed Xoti tends to be, I wonder if a threesome with her and Eder is an option.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The virgin Dragonspear:

>hardcore grognard AD&D
>one minor NPC is a tranny
>DIE BEAMDOG DIE

vs the chad Deadfire:

>awesome buttons with health regen
>bisexual companion harem anime
>no trannies though
>GOTY 2018

Shadenuat

Arcane
I do think this is a case of Josh letting the rosy-cheeked young writers run wild in their corner of the game. Knowing how Josh writes, I'm not sure you'd enjoy it more if he had given them specs for a half dozen Arcade Palleginas.
I was ok with both Veronica and Arcade. F:NV companions were all ok no? Miles ahead POE2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom