Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So it seems my thesis that BG2 was the beginning of the end for CRPGs still holds true as development resources are still being hurled needlessly at lame romance subplots that the core audience for these games neither wants nor cares about. What kind of person needs every NPC in a game to be romantically attracted to them no matter what gender they are? Surely only the kind that never attracts romance in real life...

I guess this is just a necessary evil we have to put up with now when playing these kind of games.
What's with you faggots complaining about romance all the fucking time. It gets straight fucking old. :killit:

I'd wager they aren't taking years out of development time to write some fruity dialogue about feels so stop!

Prime Junta

Couldn't be arsed to check if this was already posted here, but in any case the maniacs from Estonia are going to be streaming Deadfire today with some guy who can't get the hair out of his eyes.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
confused about EMPOWER... it says "once per encounter", but then it will not come back until you rest so isn't it really "once per rest" ???!?!!?!?
To let you in on a little bug - I'm quite sure I had Xoti's empower reset back to 1 after I reloaded my game, when it was at 0 before I had made the savegame :D

A lot of people like me know we are going to hate it, so we didn't buy it / aren't going to play it.
Actually, I think this exact game deserves that you try it out. The chances that you hate it are actually low given the current combat mechanics.

On a sale! Too much sjw bullshit to support it on a full prise. Also the bounty quests are annoyingly distributed and every quest give gives you only one.
What a limp dick excuse.

It would be a shame if isometric games get dumped again because the gaming market realized it only briefly cared about these games for the nostalgia.
If Deadfire is indeed suffering from lack of players' interest, please don't go blaming nostalgia wearing out.

I don't buy the explanation that if Deadfire succeeds it's because PoE was a perfect IE games spiritual successor, but if it fails, it's the nostalgia wearing out. Deadfire has only PoE to blame now, not the old games or the memory of the old games.

everyone would suddenly hump anything that moves
But that's how "writers" imagine it works apparently.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
And let's not forget the interracial dimension.
...a place you seem to think about a bit TOO much.
Maybe one of the eligible bachelors on this forum could move to Irvine and teach these writers the ways of love.
Some of the writers need to get out of Irvine I think....maybe leave Planet America entirely for a holiday.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

A couple weeks back when the Critical Role announcement was all the rage, I saw that Matthew Mercer has his wife doing voice work in this game as well.

You could actually tell Matthew Mercer you fucked his wife in your pirate cove and made Aloth watch. Maybe there is an incline to romance after all.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So what's in the Caed Nua crate that you can sacrifice Chitupec for in the beginning?

Garbage.

IIRC for me it was like two items, one some generic crafting implement or generic consumable, and the other... uuhhhhhh... some magic gauntlets, maybe? Still barely anything more than a trinket though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait, wait, are you guys saying that there are actual romances in the game. With actually being able to fuck other characters? Dafakk? What happened to the supposedly deep relationship system, which was not about romancing, but building friendships, or "hate-ships"?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Where the fuck is that
talking sword, I'm been swanning around the old city for ages

edit: oh there it is, walked past it a million times

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
So the writing going to shit after they lost Avellone, Fenstermaker and Ziets wasn't just a meme. Honestly I am loving the setting visually and the presentation is top tier, but the main story is stupid and every dialogue so far has been painfully generic. It doesn't help that the voice acting is mostly unpleasant to listen to. That was a bad choice to go full VO. Most of this text is better skipped. Looking forward to leaving Neketaka and doing some good old dungeon crawling.

And goddamit, I could just ignore the tumblr fanfic shit... But literally the first conversation I had with Maia after taking her on as a companion was her stopping me and propositioning sex completely unprompted
rating_prosper.png

Prime Junta

So the writing going to shit after they lost Avellone, Fenstermaker and Ziets wasn't just a meme. Honestly I am loving the setting visually and the presentation is top tier, but the main story is stupid and every dialogue so far has been painfully generic. It doesn't help that the voice acting is mostly unpleasant to listen to. That was a bad choice to go full VO. Most of this text is better skipped. Looking forward to leaving Neketaka and doing some good old dungeon crawling.

All true but still better than in P1.

And goddamit, I could just ignore the tumblr fanfic shit... But literally the first conversation I had with Maia after taking her on as a companion was her stopping me and propositioning sex completely unprompted
rating_prosper.png

That's the famous Obsidian quality in action. Everybody's jumping on your dick the minute they see you; it's not supposed to trigger until after much painstaking courting. I believe it's going to be fixed in next Tuesday's patch.

Hilarious 1.0 bug though and no doubt contributed greatly to the review scores.

Trithne

Erudite
Wait, wait, are you guys saying that there are actual romances in the game. With actually being able to fuck other characters? Dafakk? What happened to the supposedly deep relationship system, which was not about romancing, but building friendships, or "hate-ships"?

rating_prosper.png

That's what passes for a friendship in the current year.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
All true but still better than in P1.
Disagree. By this point in PoE1 I was rolling with Durance, Eder, Aloth, and Kana, all compelling characters. Aloth and Eder are the only companions I can stand in PoE2 so far. As much as I didn't like the plot hook in PoE1, this is much more of a clusterfuck.

That's the famous Obsidian quality in action. Everybody's jumping on your dick the minute they see you; it's not supposed to trigger until after much painstaking courting. I believe it's going to be fixed in next Tuesday's patch.
It shouldn't trigger ever. It triggers me that Sawyer completely went back on his position on not having these Bioware cringefests in the game.

Tigranes

Arcane
Just got to Neketaka, and it looks fantastic. Finally, a new isometric environment that looks every bit as nice as IE games, while adding its own particular style. The various inspirations from tropical, Pacific Islander, colonial, etc. regions are telling. I also find the Vailian expeditions vs. Aumaua natives stuff much more compelling, and a lot of the stuff reminds me of things like the Maori interactions with early white settlers - the historical stuff, like a native signing a contract about local resources not really understanding how those contracts work, not the race debates that we have today.

Couple hours in, the actual dialogue seems OK, the narration stuff, still think most of it should be cut. The funny thing is, BG had plenty of narration too - e.g. the really really long descriptions (voiced too) about your dreams of Gorion. I never felt they were particularly compelling.

What was compelling was to have Irenicus talk to you in your dreams while blowing up Balors - and then, the screen fading out with his words ringing in your ears. It was snappy. Life is strength. This seems logical enough; you live, you affect your world.

In POE2, it would be 'Your vision is hazy, but it slowly clears. As the haze clears, you see the figure of Irenicus, his cold eyes glistening. An eternity seems to stretch out before his tall figure, flickering with shadows.
'Life is strength.' His words echo in your head, as if he was speaking from somewhere inside...

To be fair, they seem to get more stupid and wordy whenever it's a Dramatic Moment like the dreams - another reason I wish all RPGs would dispense with dreams and flashbacks and all that shit - and it's usually easy to skim/skip when adventuring.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Disagree. By this point in PoE1 I was rolling with Durance, Eder, Aloth, and Kana, all compelling characters. Aloth and Eder are the only companions I can stand in PoE2 so far. As much as I didn't like the plot hook in PoE1, this is much more of a clusterfuck.

Serafen is great and I normally detest Orlans.. he's one of the good ones.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I already like Xoti more than half the previous cast, and as mentioned by everyone else Serafen is probably the best-written out of the new ones.

I'm finding myself skipping less dialog than in PoE1 but then again I'm still in the honeymoon-phase, as I also didn't begin skipping whole dialogs in PoE1 until around Defiance Bay and the endless drudgery of the faction quests and all the other dull shit you have to do there.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
As far as wacky Orlan companions, I found Hiravias a more funny and unique character. Maybe I'll warm up to Serafen, but they are laying the pirate shtick on thick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom