Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got a major bug here, if you interract with the orlan cipher/barbarian pirate you can't recuit him and he disseapers from the game.
Yay...

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Didn't divos2 outsell its predecessor? Feargus was going for that audience.
Read the ending of the post.

Success of the first game often fools developers into thinking that they can do even better or at least as good with a second 'bigger and better' game, but it's rarely the case. The only exceptions to the rule are games that offer building, sandbox, and well-executed killing loop activities that people never seem to be tired of. Darkest Dungeon is a fucking monster but I bet if they go for a sequel it will sell less than a third of the original.

I will never be able to understand DOS1 and 2's ability to sell. Stupid game for stupid people = formula for success.
It has MMO graphics-art and co-op. What is there to understand? I mean, Project Zomboid more than tripled its buyers when it decided to offer multiplayer and was made by unknown first timers.

Shadenuat

Arcane
all the parts in poe2 where they try to go Fancy (tm)(c)(r) are disastrous, i skip them faster than the narrator can start speaking
Yea but at the same time I don't feel that same expressiveness and d&d routine BG had (aside from orlan pirate barbarian). Characters are not truly... fun?

Orlan barbarian - is ok.
Eder - chill... well my Eder died in the intro so don't know what Eric did with him this time if he was writing him again. heard he can hit on Aloth now. roofles.
Aloth - wasn't very fun to begin with. also tranny.
Maia Rua - Jaheira with a rifle. Boon in a skirt lol. But lesbian and waifu - so fanfiction level
Pallegina - sawyer chocolate jaheira-knight, don't get me started even
Xoti - seemed interesting as she sometimes goes into macabre, but also cheerful - so fanfiction level
Tekehu - gay waterbender from Legend of Korra era Avatar-series - so fanfiction level

So we have one fun BG like character, 2 dull ones, one sawyer and 3+ fanfiction level ones. Huzzah?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I will never be able to understand DOS1 and 2's ability to sell. Stupid game for stupid people = formula for success.

- Co-op.
- Turn-based.
- Less emphasis on text dumps.
- The title of the game isn't extremely generic either: "Divinity: Original Sin" is much more engrossing than "Pillars of Eternity" will ever be. And titles sell.

Those four pretty much explain it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
From poster Gairnulf: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97028-announcing-a-modding-tool-for-deadfire/

For some time now, I've been working on a modding tool that reads Deadfire's .gamedatabundle files and allows for their easy editing, and exporting of changes. The editor's initial version is not far from being released, and I expect it will be out shortly (days, weeks) after Deadfire ships.

The editor's basic workflow is:
1. Load a gamedatabundle file into the editor. If you don't load one yourself, the contents of the vanilla gamedatabundle file will be used for modding.
2. Select a category which you want to make changes to - for example progression tables. Make your changes to the progression table you chose and hit Save. A copy of the object you changed is recorded.
2.1 From a progression table you have access to a list of abilities for the object you chose to edit. Selecting an ability from the list will load the ability's object for editing, without need for you to switch screens or do anything manually. From the ability you may proceed to edit the attack associated with that ability, and from that, proceed to edit the status effects applied by that attack. All this is happening through the editor's UI.
3. Go to the tab for exporting changed data. It contains a list of objects which have been changed across all gamedatabundle objects. Review the json code and export it for inclusion in your modded .gamedatabundle file.

The main advantage of the editor is that it fetches game data objects referenced from different gamedatabundle files. So when you are editing a weapon for example, you don't have to go through 3 files (items > attacks > status effects) in order to change the duration of some effect. This saves you time and effort because you don't have to switch between different files, and search manually with ctrl+f in each one.

Secondly, the editor reduces the chance for technical errors and typos, by using input validation on the fields which you are allowed to change. The editor won't allow you to save a field with an invalid value which would break the game, and there is no chance of invalidating the whole gamedatabundle file because you accidentally deleted a comma somewhere.

Thirdly, the editor filters out from view any system fields and/or objects, which are not suitable for modding, letting you concentrate on the stuff that's of interest to a modder.

Stuff you can potentially mod, and which the editor will gradually begin supporting: rebalance abilities, add and remove abilities, rebalance item stats, damage, armor rating, defense bonuses, health points, injuries, skills, and more.

The editor is web based, but there is no server-side logic or functionality which needs a webserver. Everything you do happens on your own machine, in your browser's memory. No data about your mod or usage of the editor is being recorded on the server. In fact once you open the editor, you can safely switch off your internet connection. Changes are being saved in the web browser's memory, which carries the drawback that on refresh of the browser tab, you will lose all changes which you haven't exported. Therefore you should not refresh or close the browser tab until you've exported your changes from the editor.

I haven't been in contact with Obsidian about making the editor, and I haven't been given special support or documentation. I never told anyone in part because I wanted to work on this simply as a pet project. Of course, I will welcome any help and support, mainly with documentation, which would allow me to keep improving the editor and enriching its functionality.

I hope such a tool will make modding more accessible, will liven up Deadfire's modding community, and will encourage Obsidian to increase moddability for Deadfire and for future games.

Since editing the game/text files is all in text format a tool like this will be awesome. We'll see in a couple of days what's what.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
The game seems to not gather any attention at all, even after 2 days it barely scraped 18k players online and compared with D:OS 2 at the same time, which had almost 90k, this one is a complete fucking disaster.

Let's look at some other releases from the past couple of weeks.

Battletech- 35k players online day one, released on fucking Monday
Frostpunk-28k day one, monday release as well

Don't come at me with the ''wait for the weekend'' bullshit, as a promising sequel, this game is a fucking failure of epic proportions and let's remember that they even went over the budget with VO, I don't even want to think what PowerTrip™️ Feargus is going to do about this, but it ain't gonna be pretty seeing that fat little freak abusing his employers.

20% of my friends own PoE1.
Not a single one owns PoE2. 1 has wishlisted it.

Most of my friends list likes RPGs, but has no particular enthusiasm for infinity engine games.

The medium amount of viral hype that PoE1 got cast a net that drew in all kinds of RPG players outside of the infinity engine fanbase. We're not seeing that again.

If you were right about this, wouldn't they have made less money on the second Kickstarter?

- Co-op.
- Turn-based.
- The title of the game isn't extremely generic either: "Divinity: Original Sin" is much more engrossing than "Pillars of Eternity" will ever be. And titles sell.

Co-op which something like 10% of players care about according to Larian's own polls.

Less emphasis on text dumps? Maybe they improved upon that in DOS 2 (haven't touched it), but DOS 1 is text dump central (which is mind boggling considering this is supposed to be co-op and these things are co-op killers to me - hey, have you finished reading? Uh, no, still going? K, can we go now?)

Title of the game a real selling point for games that aren't sold in physical form and aren't getting picked up by casual consumers from store shelves - Be real brah

Jezal_k23

I think Obsidian has failed to hit the levels of excitement surrounding DOS2, and media player a huge part in its success. You couldn't go 2 hours without some article claiming DOS2 is in the realm of the best CRPGs ever made, or people on reddit and other sites.

Maybe if Deadfire had launched first? I don't know. I don't even know why DOS2 was claimed to be that good, because imo it isn't. Either way, there was a small spark of hype around the Deadfire launch, but I don't see anyone talking about it outside of here now. Looks like people cared for about a day and then excitement died out.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
aweigh that's me dude. I should play less and get to work on the editor though. I also posted the same info here, twice. Special thanks to you BTW!

I think Obsidian has failed to hit the levels of excitement surrounding DOS2, and media player a huge part in its success. You couldn't go 2 hours without some article claiming DOS2 is in the realm of the best CRPGs ever made, or people on reddit and other sites.
Didn't divos2 outsell its predecessor? Feargus was going for that audience.

Yeah but evil grognard Josh insisted that Deadfire actually has a combat system, unlike Sven's blockbuster filled to the brim with writing about women groping the player character and minimum concern with combat mechanics.

Also, how times have changed - turn based is the new casual.

Feargus is left betting on the lame horse again, because his spiritual successor had no choice but to be rtwp. :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://eternity.obsidian.net/news/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-review-roundup

PILLARS OF ETERNITY II: DEADFIRE REVIEW ROUNDUP
News | May 10, 2018 10:00 AM

The reviews are in for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire! Here's what the press is saying:
  • MMORPG.com - It is something special, something you’ll want to play again and again and is a game that will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the genre’s best. 10/10
  • Gamewatcher - This is the game that sets the bar. This is the game that needs to be aspired to. 10/10
  • Windows Central - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is an amazing game. Obsidian has gifted the already cluttered RPG genre with an excellent title that offers hundreds of hours worth of gameplay. 5/5
  • Gamespace - Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire has taken Obsidian’s formula of success and brought it to the new heights. 9.8/10
  • CGMagonline - No matter if you’re new to the world of Eora or an experienced traveler, Deadfire is an RPG you have to play 9.5/10
  • WorthPlaying - Overall, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire feels like the game of my dreams. 9.5/10
  • PCGamesN - It’s an extraordinary game. 92/100
  • Ragequit - A highly entertaining and spectacular RPG which will certainly be a candidate for GOTY 2018. 92/100
  • Games Beat - It’s at its best when you’re in these conversations, making choices like you’re in a Choose Your Own Adventure novel, drinking in the results and reckoning with each decision you make. 92/100
  • Cubed3 - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is a lesson in sequel creation. 9/10
  • RPG Site - Paired with strong non-linear gameplay, well-written characters, and packed with a story that’s equal parts grounded and fantastical, it’s easily one of the best RPGs of 2018 so far. 9/10
  • Shacknews - Obsidian delivers on every level with their return to the world of Eora. 9/10
  • The Sixth Axis - A genuine joy of a game and one which is simultaneously approachable and impossibly deep, Deadfire is a fantastic sequel and one which you will be thinking even when you are away from its world. 9/10
  • WCCFTech - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is an exceptional roleplaying experience that truly lets you forge your own path in a rich, multilayered, grog-soaked world. 9/10
  • Hardcore Gamer - The influence of tabletop role playing and classic RPGs come together nicely in a vast adventure where player choices matter. 4.5/5
  • Slant Magazine - Obsidian's sequel is an achievement not just for the density of its fascinating setting, but for the flexibility with which you may present yourself to it and be perceived within it. 4.5/5
  • Twinfinite - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire rises well above the typical role-playing fare, and will provide an unforgettable experience for those that are willing to put the time to fully embrace what it is offering. 4.5/5
  • US Gamer - Deadfire relies on tradition when it's suitable and tries to do something new everywhere else. The end result is one of the best RPGs I've played in recent years. 4.5/5
  • PCGamer - Pillars of Eternity II is another fine RPG from Obsidian, brilliantly showcasing the studio's knack for strong world-building, intelligent, expressive writing, and varied quest design. 88/100
  • Game Informer - It’s the swashbuckling flavor of the Deadfire Archipelago that helps this new project shine, mixing magic, dragons, and mythical gods with pirates, sailing, and a lengthy quest to discover what dangers lurk beyond the horizon. 8.75
  • IGN - Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire improves upon the Pillars of Eternity formula in nearly every way, creating an RPG loaded with both strong combat and important, character-defining choices that frequently have an impact on your numerous and deep side-story adventures. 8.5/10
  • Gamespot - The richness of Deadfire takes a while to appreciate, and like the brined sailors that call it come, you'll be left with an indelible attachment to these islands when you do finally step away. 8/10
  • The Guardian - Deadfire is an entertaining adventure that will keep anyone with a soft spot for this genre hooked. 4/5

Sentinel

Arcane
Got a major bug here, if you interract with the orlan cipher/barbarian pirate you can't recuit him and he disseapers from the game.
Yay...
At what point in the game are you at? He's at the entrance of the dungeon in Fort Deadlight. You don't recruit him immediately when you first see him.

Trashos

Arcane
Apparently Eder can get together with Iselmyr, who is still trapped inside Aloth's body.

Maybe Obsidian is breaking some new ground regarding romance after all.

Is this true?

Fuck it, I haven't decided if I 'll buy the game yet, but I just decided that I need to talk to all the boys in my family.

Jezal_k23

Feargus is left betting on the lame horse again, because his spiritual successor had no choice but to be rtwp. :lol:

But they already made Deadfire terribly easy on lower difficulties. DOS2 on classic is for sure a lot harder than Deadfire on classic.

What the fuck happened? "Auto attack to win" combat system was not enough?

BTW, there's also very few reviews. I remember DOS2 having more than 33 reviews during its early days. So definitely more media has covered DOS2 than Deadfire.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Co-op which something like 10% of players care about according to Larian's own polls.

It's completely possible the poll isn't representative of the entire userbase.

Less emphasis on text dumps? Maybe they improved upon that in DOS 2 (haven't touched it), but DOS 1 is text dump central (which is mind boggling considering this is supposed to be co-op and these things are co-op killers to me - hey, have you finished reading? Uh, no, still going? K, can we go now?)

Purple prose could have been a much more specific complaint, I suppose. It's the issue I had with Torment, and (alongside the combat) what put me off from Pillars of Eternity.

Title of the game a real selling point for games that aren't sold in physical form and aren't getting picked up by casual consumers from store shelves - Be real brah

I don't think "Pillars of Eternity" screaming "uninspired" and the Codex complaining about how bland the game is is just a coincidence... The title of the game is the first thing everyone should remember about it. And if Obsidian could only come up with "Pillars of Eternity", I dread to imagine what went into the writing itself.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

But they already made Deadfire terribly easy on lower difficulties. DOS2 on classic is for sure a lot harder than Deadfire on classic.

What the fuck happened? "Auto attack to win" combat system was not enough?
This isn't good enough anymore.

The modern casual "RPG nerd"-type retard considers a game too difficult if the objects he has to click on are moving, especially if more than one is moving at the same time.

RtwP places an enormous strain on his mental and spacial orientation abilities.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Wouldn't know since normal people play with expert and all hints turned off.

Btw I dislike active/passive skills a lot. It's absolutely useless and just gives you less character building choices. Say I want barbarian who is athletical and sneaky, but I must still pick passive skills for him. Just give me 2 sp/level I will figure out what I want myself.

Seethe

Arbiter

- Co-op.
- Turn-based.

Turn based games > real time. And there isn't anything praiseworthy regarding text dumps. I'll even take DiVOS2 *tackleglomps u xDDD* roleplaying meme over that. It's why I've quit PoE 1 when I saw this pretentious garbage.

1234f144d3.jpg

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got my ass kicked in a ship boarding combat. Managed it the second time around. The game is not so easy after you get past the initial areas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom