Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Cuphead's soundtrack is awesome, especially in the context of functional music, and can teach you a lot about stylistic elements and mimicking certain genres/eras/soundscapes. Grim Fandango's soundtrack is also awesome and has the same potential.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
How do you all plan to build your companions?

Eder-Swashbuckler: combine rogue's Persistent Distraction feat (-5 perception for each enemy engaged) and fighter engagement feats. Use Eder to debuff as many enemies as possible.
Aloth-Battlemage: Not sure how I want to approach it, depending if I find good or unique items that fit battlemage. Otherwise, I will go with summoned weapons/buffs.
Xoti-pure Priest: Heals/Buffs.
Pallegina-Herald? Possibly to fill a tank role.

As for the rest, no idea lol. I have not even thought of the sidekicks.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
There's a bug with choosin "up-scale" level. quests doesnt show skulls in order of difficulty.. lol wtf didnt notice before now.. :(

Also, is there a reason that the graphics settings goes to "-" if u set msaa to 4? what settings yu guys run ?

Sentinel

Arcane
Those numbers aren't comparing the same time periods (and price) though.
That is not enough to explain the size of the discrepancy between base game and sequel.
Well, I don't know if, assuming same stability of release version, same marketing strategy, and same game quality and price, such a discrepancy exists (in the case of XCOM, 'cause it's the game I'm most familiar with), so I really can't comment.
From my understanding XCOM2 is just an upgrade over XCOM1, but the price has basically not changed since release and big sales on it are rare. It also had tons of performance problems on release.

Sentinel

Arcane
There's a bug with choosin "up-scale" level. quests doesnt show skulls in order of difficulty.. lol wtf didnt notice before now.. :(

Also, is there a reason that the graphics settings goes to "-" if u set msaa to 4? what settings yu guys run ?
The graphic settings goes to "-" because you customized an option. It's just any other game's equivalent of "Custom" graphic options.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
This game is so fucking good. I've been playing a Holy Slayer (Bleak Walker + Assassin) and instagibbing backline casters while zipping all over the place while Eder and Crew hold down the rest of 'em. Seems like Sawyer let go of his autism a bit with the multiclasses and allowed people to have more fun in detriment of "balance".

They've literally improved upon the original in every way conceivable. 10/10.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Companions are decline. Aside from Pirate orlan all of them are generic as fuck. Only pirate orlan feel like he is living person
While PoE1 had Durance and GM so far PoE2 has nothing, even pirate i mentioned so far isn't as good as those two.

Yep, for all the areas they tried to stretch and improve into, Obsidian seems like it finally lost it's "touch", something they excelled at. There is no character you meet and just listen in awe. The voice acting is also not there. I miss meeting Kaelyn the Dove and just blankly staring at the screen mesmerised by dialogue about strange worlds and odd celestial politics and philosophies delivered by hauntingly beautiful voice.

The last bastion for me was Durance. He just drawn you into ancient history and was well written and voiced. In this game, we don't really have anyone of that caliber. Instead we have bioware gender fluid romances now.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Cuphead's soundtrack is awesome, especially in the context of functional music, and can teach you a lot about stylistic elements and mimicking certain genres/eras/soundscapes. Grim Fandango's soundtrack is also awesome and has the same potential.

I was fortunate enough to have my music taste formed by Grim Fandango when I was 13. Just when I was also discovering Raymond Chandler. Been a jazz & hardboiled fan ever since. Cuphead is one more game that raises to GF's level with its music. Most modern attempts to do swing and foxtrot that gain mainstream fame sound pretty bad, but Cuphead is true to the source in all aspects.

Another game with a good jazz soundtrack is Omerta - City of Gangsters.

BTW, I'm past the Engwithan dig site, and I'm pretty satisfied. One of the many positive things I've noted is that Obsidian have finally overcome their shyness of leaving corners of dungeons empty of enemies, and have given the player some breathing room and allowed him to feel like he is exploring a place, as opposed to wading through blood and body parts of enemies.

I can't find it in myself to seriously comment on romances. I can only say that the fact that when presented with such an important choice about building a character as his/her sexuality, you basically answer "anything goes!", this serves to demonstrate both lack of vision for this character and your own immaturity, preventing you from really understanding the core determinants of any person, real or created.

And I will repeat this (and much worse than this) word for word in Deadfire General Discussion when the time comes. Hacks need to be exposed and their ineptitude rubbed in, lest they start getting ideas, like the D:OS2 poor souls who think the game is a success because of their writing talent.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

I think the tone of the first game put people off for being "boring" so they changed it. The companions changed accordingly, which makes for less interesting ones in general.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I can tell what seems to be good about the game though (spoilarz):

- You land on an island and fight an enemy party for a bounty
- You travel around and find ancient temple. But there are no enemies there. (what a twist! Kaed Nua would go mad if he made one level without trash mobs eh?) However, every little tile of the temple is trapped. There are like 50 traps there, some more difficult to disarm than others.
- You also find secret passage with pillars that kill you instantly with loot nearby, you can destroy them, or find stuff to get immune to them
- So you make little path through traps and enter room with pedestal and loot, but there is flame around, and to turn it off you need to turn 4 switches simultaneously so you grab other party members and get inside the room
- The loot is actually somewhat unique, a hammer that silences enemy on critical hit. Not Carsomyr sure, but not +2% to shitting either
- You take loot and suddenly door gets shut, sand flows from holes in the walls. Text quest appears
- You use toxic spell and bombs to destroy door and free yourself
- You scout around temple and find 4 giants, fail 2 checks to persuade them and they whack you for 99% hp but eventually you kill them
- Behind giants was a trapped party of adventurers in a camp who also searched for that temple. You can steal from them or kill them, or you can share stories. Turns out they are from Living Lands. My character was also from there so we shared a story. They tell you about the temple but you were there already and say "yeah... lots of sand there indeed, roofles". They give you food and rest.
- Finally you name explored island The Crystal Skull and get back on a boat. Your crew morale is high so they sing a song about some drowned maiden and kraken.

What does it look like? Well to me it looks like some events actually happen and they're not boring. Which is not bad at all compared to killing 48th lion in PoE1. Looks like some designer put some grain of effort into game this time to make it feel like an rpg.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
On release day, 31.000 players were playing Pillars of Eternity simultaneously. So far, 20.000 simultaneous players is Deadfire's peak. Worth mentioning is that Deadfire launched on a Tuesday and not on a Thursday, but still...

Can you really blame people, though?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol i noticed that you can kind of fuck up some quests by doing the thing before getting the quests. It mainly fucks up the dialogue options/triggers,it is really shit.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
RTwP combat is unfulfilling like a tranny. It is neither turn-based a man, nor real time a woman, is something in between.
On the contrary, a tranny can be both fulfilling you, and fulfilled!

I'd imagine a setting where there are multiple species cohabiting would end up having different standards for attraction
You just gave this subject more thought than any PoE writer ever had.

Seems like Sawyer let go of his autism a bit with the multiclasses and allowed people to have more fun in detriment of "balance"
Haha, good one. You enjoy your lack of balance while it lasts, young one!

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
The game seems to not gather any attention at all, even after 2 days it barely scraped 18k players online and compared with D:OS 2 at the same time, which had almost 90k, this one is a complete fucking disaster.

Let's look at some other releases from the past couple of weeks.

Battletech- 35k players online day one, released on fucking Monday
Frostpunk-28k day one, monday release as well

Don't come at me with the ''wait for the weekend'' bullshit, as a promising sequel, this game is a fucking failure of epic proportions and let's remember that they even went over the budget with VO, I don't even want to think what PowerTrip™️ Feargus is going to do about this, but it ain't gonna be pretty seeing that fat little freak abusing his employers.

20% of my friends own PoE1.
Not a single one owns PoE2. 1 has wishlisted it.

Most of my friends list likes RPGs, but has no particular enthusiasm for infinity engine games.

The medium amount of viral hype that PoE1 got cast a net that drew in all kinds of RPG players outside of the infinity engine fanbase. We're not seeing that again.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I miss meeting Kaelyn the Dove and just blankly staring at the screen mesmerised by dialogue about strange worlds and odd celestial politics and philosophies delivered by hauntingly beautiful voice.

well i sure as hell wouldn't want this nu-obs to engage in that

all the parts in poe2 where they try to go Fancy (tm)(c)(r) are disastrous, i skip them faster than the narrator can start speaking

Grab the Codex by the pussy
not true - see PoE2.
That only reinforces my notion that cRPG players in general are stupid, because PoE2 is selling less because the novelty effect wore of and not a supposed exodus of talent or anything remotely sophisticated like that. Games like SH-D and Battletech sold a lot, but the combat in these games is utter trash.

The game bombed, there is no doubt about that. This dumpsterfire is abandonware. I wonder how FU reacts to getting double bombed in a fortnight
I think the likes of Beamdog and Obsidian abused IE games so much that now nobody wants anything to do with it. That's great!

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I will never be able to understand DOS1 and 2's ability to sell. Stupid game for stupid people = formula for success.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom