Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Cells, an indie roguelite Metroidvania

T. Reich

Arcane
I've been playing it with K + M. Handles perfectly fine (as long as your own manual dexterity is up to the task).

sullynathan

Arcane
Whatever they did in the latest updates has cut my performance from 60+fps to a locked 30fps. This is disappointing because I was liking the added content and fixes.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I refuse to play this before it leaves EA. Too good to get burnt out before release

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This game is really good. Beat the assassin the first time a few days ago, after around a dozen tries. Popped in the source cell, got to assassin on the third run, and killed her(some tense moments though). Weapons that scale with tactics are really strong, wish I had never unlocked anything else.

---

Arcane
Console release date planned for August. Hopefully the PC final version will be ready before:fuuyeah:

---

Arcane
In the EA there were light metroidvania elements, such as the ability to create vines for climbing purposes to reach previously inaccessible areas. Hopefully they expanded these features.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Did they introduce actual metroidvania elements yet?
What do you mean by metroidvania elements?
In the EA there were light metroidvania elements, such as the ability to create vines for climbing purposes to reach previously inaccessible areas. Hopefully they expanded these features.
Only in the sense that there's more of these persistent increased options upgrades. They're mostly adding more weapons/skills/areas/bosses.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Dangerously addictive, too easy to keep playing it even after it has stopped being fun. It's satanic that you can't alt f4 out of it right after dying and that a new life starts automatically.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This has a very good combat system with interesting enemies to fight with, too. Upgrades are meaningful and new weapons are interesting. It's very combat heavy, though, not really feels like a proper metroidvania, with minimum exploration tool upgrades and mostly linear levels (With some rooms to explore for loot here and there, plus some branching paths, but nothing like a true metroidvania).

If I have to make a comparison with the classics I'd call this Ninja Gaiden Roguelite.

Ivan

Arcane
Metroidvania adjective is misapplied here. There are branching exits for some level variety, but that is all.

Combat is excellent, music is great, the only thing that bugs me is that you can run through enemies if you hold down the run button long enough.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it a little during a convention, it reminded me of Rogue Legacy. How does it compare to it on the long run?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I also think that many games branded as "metroidvania" didn't follow the SoTN/Metroid design enough to be called a "metroidvania." Many of those are simply 2D action adventure games. Like Shantae and many other "2D indie metroidvania" that saturates Steam. Not that they're automatically bad, but it's just not a metroidvania. Even Order of Ecclesia isn't very "metroidvania"-ish (Still a good game though)

The recent game branded as metroidvania that follows the old design religiously, and combines it with the arts tyle and music giving a very great atmosphere, is Hollow Knight.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

A FREE DLC!?!? ARE YOU MAD?:
Since we began development on Dead Cells, many years ago now, we’ve been completely blown away by the amazing reaction of the community. Without your support and feedback we wouldn’t be where we are today. Rise of the Giant is our way of saying thank you. Here’s a free DLC with a bunch of new content, mostly aimed at the people who have been hanging around since day 1, it’s high level and should offer more challenge than most sane people would think reasonable.

CavernTravelling.gif

Features:
  • New levels: You’ve got a new level that’s connected to the main level structure and immediately available to anyone who’s finished the game at least once. You’ve got another (poorly) hidden level, for the masochists who know that there is a Boss Cell 5
  • New Bosses: Mirroring the above, you’ve got a new completely different type of boss available in the main level structure, with another INSANELY difficult boss hidden behind even more ridiculously difficult content.
  • New content: There are 10 new enemies, 13 new weapons/skills and a bunch of other upgrades to core game systems. There are additions to the story/lore of the game, new secrets, new blueprints and…
  • Skins: People have been requesting this for ages and we’ve finally found the time to make the necessary changes to accomadate the request. You’ve now got access to female skins, fluro skins and a christmas tree skin, cos why the hell not.

TravellingVerticalAstrolab.gif

On top of these major changes we’re continuously trying to update the game in ways that make it more challenging and more just, all the while remaining open to new players. As such you will notice that the difficulty has been rebalanced so that the entry level of the game, while extremely challenging is now in line with the 5 extra difficulty levels available to those who like to suffer.

We hope that you like Rise of the Giant and would like to remind you that we’re not done, we’ll be continuing to make content for the game for as long as you keep demanding it, so feel free to let us know what you’d like to see and if we can make any changes that would make you happy.

Latelistener

Arcane
:necro:

I have some concerns about their DLC policy though.

Even if you don't own a DLC, an entrance to a level is still generated so you bleed getting to it just to read "fuck off, go buy DLC".

At least it's cheap.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Whoa, no idea how they convinced modern-day, Konami of allllll companies to get on board with this.

PurpleGigaContenteTeasingRightDimensionsNoboss.png

Costs 10 USD.

Full announcehttps://store.steampowered.com/news/app/588650/view/3515651436944643473?l=english

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom