Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
Romance eligibility "spoilers":

794df459c3a04b029d0c2c57d61fa7be.png

Anyone recruit Maia yet? How is she? (Without spoilers)

I made her ranger/wiz and she's pretty ok, wizard self buffs and pew pew.

Did anyone find any soulbound stuff yet? Where is the sword?

Parabalus

Arcane
ayyyy lmao there is not a single heterosexual woman companion in the game. Chris Avellone was wrong about one thing, Obsidian is taking a page out of Bioware's book.

If the above is true it's :balance: since there are no guys either :M. My PC is Godlike but it fits the chart, dunno if they get to double dip, prob not.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Heh. I mean, IE dudes would just chase you wherever and run round and round while you kited them. I wonder when we can get to a point where, in real-time/RTWP games, it's more about us assailing enemies defending a good position, rather than throwing a stone at them and watch them all line up to come to you?
There are such combats in PoE, just not so many. For example the Stalwart mines, first level, at the end of the big hallway. The trick is to compose the enemies as the player composes his party members, with some ranged enemies at the back and a number of melee in front, and make them powerful enough so that the player has to rush to the ranged enemies.

What's with the music though, I thought it was supposed to be a live orchestra? I can't make up my mind if it is or not but it does sound awfully... synthetic somehow.

Also it looks like there might be some Hate Boat going too which is :incline: . Two of my party members took an instant dislike to each other in a way that feels quite ... logical really. If it turns out to be tsundere I will be disappoint.
Yes, the attempt to approximate bagpipes is a "glorious failure", as Tekehu would put it.* There are some wilderness melodies where my brain actually imagines better music than what I end up hearing. It's really depressingly bad. Thankfully there is a way to uncompress wems and switch the ogg files inside. If someone is up to it.

*"Tekehu would put it" - hehe, how witty, see what I did there, I should be aN CRPG writer!

Why could they not be posted on nexus because of copyright? They aren't being sold.. there are tons of copyrighted things on the Steam Workshop (Valve doesn't care) for instance I played XCOM2 with Francis York Morgan from Deadly Premonition in my crew..
I don't know, depends on how the terms of use have been set. If I convert Witcher 3's tavern track to an ogg and then to a wem, and post that on nexus, would this be ok? I guess it's worth trying at least.

Xoti sounds like shorty, a Black American slang for female. Take that as you will.
Also, "hottie" :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is this berath's blessings stuff i get from time to time?

Unlockable game modifiers: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10534

Berath's Blessings is a new feature for Deadfire that gives players special bonuses when they start a new game, based on achievements that have been completed in previous gameplay. Berath plays a large role in the story of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire that we don't want to reveal quite yet, but she will aid you at the start of your adventure with her blessings. These can be used as a helping hand to defeat that next difficulty level, to provide additional challenges, and to increase the reward for chasing down and completing achievements. Each completed achievement gives the player points to spend on blessings when they start up a new game.

Players will be able to spend these points on a wide variety of unlocks. Some players may simply want a more powerful starting character - better starting gear or more attribute points. Other players may choose to more quickly advance through a part of the game that they don’t really want to repeat - bonus faction reputation, or starting the game with extra copper coins. Players will even have the option to start the game with some of their favorite things acquired during a previous journey – starting with a favorite companion or Soulbound weapon from an earlier playthrough. There will even be unlocks that make the game harder, boosting the challenge of the next campaign.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
If the above is true it's :balance: since there are no guys either :M. My PC is Godlike but it fits the chart, dunno if they get to double dip, prob not.
Well Eder is mercifully spared the pozzing, even though he isn't romanceable. Figures since he's the only character created by a writer who is no longer at Obsidian.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Other players may choose to more quickly advance through a part of the game that they don’t really want to repeat
Cool. i hope there is option to skip start of the game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Can we create a seperate thread where all the ubermensch alt right alpha chads constantly complain about sjw infested genderfluid homosexual depravity and brofist eachother to oblivion?

Because its getting pretty jarring to read this shit here.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Despite the criticisms, I'm enjoying the game a lot.

- I did a couple of "Tasks" around Port Maje. Crazy amount of C&C and alternate solutions. This deserves praise.

- Explored the east side of the island. Nice scripted interactions, as seen in the Backer Beta. It all feels hand-crafted, like a good RPG should.

- Although I have the option to hire mercs at the inn, I'm still running around with only Eder and Xoti. Playing on Veteran. A few times I was close to getting my PC killed, had to retreat him, and use health potions. Using potions in PoE! That's a big improvement.

- Knowing what kind of stuff can be modded to make the game more old school in mechanics and rules, I can't wait to finish the first release of the editor :bounce: This will be a game worth modding, and there is enough available for modding to warrant a subsequent full playthrough with a mod, and give you a totally different feel of the gameplay. It will take some time though, probably around the time of the first-second DLC.

bataille

Arcane
I think my game installer has crashed at the 95% mark after 40 minutes of unpacking...
:cry:

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think my game installer has crashed at the 95% mark after 40 minutes of unpacking...
:cry:
No, don't worry. It's switching to the installers for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, etc. It took a disproportionately long time at the end for me too.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Ok, I found the soundtrack. I want to ask what the hell is this track doing in a fantasy RPG's music.

Also, Prime Junta , for abysmal bagpipes, see #29 - the new rendition of the TWM song, which was done so well in TWM.

The original Quant ai lo mon consirat is actually very melodic:

Everything considered, in this world
all things are nothing, save God;
and having this much pondered,
saying goodbye is grievous hard.

I'm a fan of Occitan music, Late Medieval and Baroque.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, I found the soundtrack. I want to ask what the hell is this track doing in a fantasy RPG's music.

Also, Prime Junta , for abysmal bagpipes, see #29 - the new rendition of the TWM song, which was done so well in TWM.

The original Quant ai lo mon consirat is actually very melodic:

I'm a fan of Occitan music, Late Medieval and Baroque.

I'm curious why is it so hard to live up to the soundtracks of the Infinity Engine games. Even the weaker ones are much better than the soundtracks in POE1, and appearantly POE2. I won't go as far as saying that the POE soundtracks are shit, because there are songs I like in them, but overall they don't come close to Michael Hoenig's tracks in BG, or Jeremy Soule in IWD. I guess this new generation of composers are trying too hard to sound epic and different.

If you remember, the tracks in the IE games were kind of simplistic (not in a bad way). They were not huge orchestrated performances, most of the times they featured only a few instruments and had a great melody. But many of the new ones are just meh, because they try to be bombastic.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm curious why is it so hard to live up to the soundtracks of the Infinity Engine games. Even the weaker ones are much better than the soundtracks in POE1, and appearantly POE2. I won't go as far as saying that the POE soundtracks are shit, because there are songs I like in them, but overall they don't come close to Michael Hoenig's tracks in BG, or Jeremy Soule in IWD. I guess this new generation of composers are trying too hard to sound epic and different.

If you remember, the tracks in the IE games were kind of simplistic (not in a bad way). They were not huge orchestrated performances, most of the times they featured only a few instruments and had a great melody. But many of the new ones are just meh, because they try to be bombastic.

Dunno, I guess a different composer is needed. Lacrymas could speak in more detail of the technical aspects. BTW, many BG2 tavern tunes were recycled medieval songs, although they were only borrowing the general motive. The whole "arrangement" (wrong term maybe) was original.

BTW, check out this Jordi Savall rendition of the same song, it's fucking perfect for Deadfire, sounds pretty Vailian:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Bleh. Restarting my playthrough at 4 hours. "Normal" is too easy, I haven't lost a single fight except one where I blew up gunpowder on my own party. The difficulty is shit.
Why the hell would you play any game released this century on normal
The first Pillars of Eternity could be challenging on the base difficulty. There's a reasonable expectation for difficulty levels to receive similar labelling across sequels (unless that sequel has changed genre or came out a decade later), so the confusion is understandable.

HollyhockGod

Novice
I accidentally made Serafen into a witch (barbarian/cipher). is it possible to make that into a viable build?
My PC is a Witch and it's working out great for me so far. I'm a vanilla barab/Soul Blade though, so I'm not sure how well it works with vanilla Cipher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom