Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Age of Pirates 2 thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Extra fact: the series is for some reason also known as Corsairs in russkieland.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe, you can always count on russkies pirating and referencing fallout. Somewhere. Somehow.
I mean, when I say the PIRATES system is just SPECIAL, I'm not joking, that's exactly how they are written in code. Why Russkies love fallout so much, compared to everyone else, I cannot fathom. Perhaps Grimwulf knows?

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Oh, you know. The scenery and general atmosphere reminds me of childhood. Gives you dat nostalgic vibe.

tVuKY4z.jpg

Just like my home town. :love:

JRIz

Augur
Previous Sea Dogs give you the ability to teleport around during sea battles which can be horribly abused. For example, you can repeatedly teleport around another ship until you are in perfect position to board, then fire a grapeshot and simply press the board button without sustaining any damage even if the enemy is much larger. You can even evade enemy salvos in mid-air by simply teleporting away.

Does City of Abandoned ships still have this and if yes, how do you deal with it since the game begins to feel much too slow if you avoid teleportation altogether on the other hand.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Previous Sea Dogs give you the ability to teleport around during sea battles which can be horribly abused. For example, you can repeatedly teleport around another ship until you are in perfect position to board, then fire a grapeshot and simply press the board button without sustaining any damage even if the enemy is much larger. You can even evade enemy salvos in mid-air by simply teleporting away.

Does City of Abandoned ships still have this and if yes, how do you deal with it since the game begins to feel much too slow if you avoid teleportation altogether on the other hand.
If by teleportation you mean auto-travel to ships using the menu, you can't do that when hostiles are in range.

JRIz

Augur
As far as I remember, in Sea Dogs 2 and 3 it was indeed possible. So is it different in 4? Maybe it was a difficulty setting.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Nope, it's a feature even in the easiest of settings.
You can sail to nearby points of interest, just not in combat.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

Wunderbar

Arcane
Extra fact: the series is for some reason also known as Corsairs in russkieland.
why "for some reason"? Series was born in Russia, and, unlike in the west, have a well-defined naming:
- Corsairs (Sea Dogs in the west);
- Corsairs 2 (Pirates of Caribbean in the west);
- Corsairs 3 (Age of Pirates - Caribbean Tales in the west);
- Corsairs 3 - Return of the Legend (standalone expansion, was never released in the west);
- Corsairs 3 - City of Abandoned Ships (second standalone expansion, known as Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships in the west);
- Corsairs - To Each his Own (third standalone expansion, known as Sea Dogs: To Each His Own in the west).

Btw, some of former devs from Akella and Seaward are working on spiritual sequel, called Corsairs: The Black Spot (reference to Stevenson's "Treasue Island"). However, there are some legal troubles regarding who owns Corsairs trademark.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why Russkies love fallout so much, compared to everyone else, I cannot fathom. Perhaps Grimwulf knows?

Wait, what? Who doesn't love Fallout?

Haven't played the latest ones, but still

Last one? you mean Fallut Nevada I hope Comrade not Bethshit diarhea. Anybody tried To Each his Own? I like some changes they made as more historically accurate ship classes and guns and money and game seems to be much harder but on the other hand I hate to play as French fop and some quests are so scripted you even won't find them without walk-through. Would love to play game with only XVI c ships to be honest. So no spy glasses, stering wheels and other popamole, just my Galleon, bussola and arquebus vs natives and pirates.

Morkar Left

To Each His Own is theoretically a great game. Overall the best engine of the Sea Dogs games because it's the most updated. It's not really moddable at the moment because the code is still closed. But after all expansions are released the devs plan to open modding (which would be a huge boost to popularity of the game I guess).
The story itself forces you to play as the French Charles. That might be restricting but I like the story (despite the bad translation). The story really has that oldschool pirates/adventure novel/movie style going on. It's a long story with tons of quests. The problem with the quests is like Commissar Draco already mentioned the heavy scripting which forces you to do the quests in particular steps to solve them and basically requires you to have a walkthrough for some of them. The times quests are only nice theoretically, they are often more annoying because the time limit is usually too short. In general the game forces you to abuse the game mechanics and engine the beat some encounters. That's typically a Russian thing and I don't know why they like it that way...
I don't really like the destinction between pesos and dubloons. I don't see really a point why you have to buy some things with pesos and others with dubloons. It's stupid and doesn't make sense, except to artificially try to rescue the game economy (which will never workout in a game anyway...).
The melee combat system is actually pretty good. It's nuanced, clearly the best in any Sea Dogs game and even better than in most action rpgs. Different weapons and the weapons style play a huge role. I was pretty surprised by that.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
on the other hand I hate to play as French fop
Also my biggest problem with the game. I can tolerate playing as a frog but his beard is ridiculous. Spaniards have better beards for fuck's sake.
And the doubloons business is needlessly autistic.
EDIT: might be worth doing a separate thread for all the sword and sails RPGs

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Remember men, don't sail into a port while bearing an enemy flag. Unless at night.

You'd be better off buying it on Gog, Steam older games often have issues.

In this game, when you are sailing, the perspective is always outside the ship, right? Or is there a way to have a perspective from a person aboard, rather than a bird's eye view of the vessel?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom