Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

aratuk

Cipher
I don’t think California has document retention laws that cover ordinary email communication within a business. Even the SEC doesn’t require this of publicly-traded corporations in the US, if I’m not mistaken.

So, I don’t believe there is anything stopping Feargus from deleting all the incriminating emails he can find before any discovery process begins. It is perfectly legitimate for an executive to claim they delete every email as they read and respond to it, and people do this in order to insulate themselves.

This would not be true of other types of records, of course, like payroll. But at least some of the malfeasance discussed in this thread is said to have occurred via email.

MRY Am I off-base here?
EDIT: Wormwood Studios has politely & understandably declined to answer legal questions.:P

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The most striking example of this isn't even related to European colonialism, but to Chinese occupation of Tibet.

Holywood celebrities just cream themselves about Dalai-Lama and we're supposed to believe he is this great spiritual leader and a force for good. He has movies and documentaries made about him, picturing him as this serene philosopher, who produces timeless wisdom every time he opens his mouth.

And yet, let's ask a question: who is the most tyrannical ruler of the XX century? Was it Stalin? Hitler? Surely Mao would be a contender?

Unfortunately, all of those jokers are complete amateurs compared to good ol boy Dalai-Lama. Fucker was a God, a medieval King, and a highest ranking priest, all rolled into one person. That is the highest level of government tyranny that can even be conceived. A ruler with that much power cannot be resisted, cannot be opposed, he cannot be removed, he literally fucking owns you.

The Tibetan people were living in a feudal serfdom, one step away from slavery, 95% of population was illiterate, and those eary monks, while they weren't busy making their cute mandalas, would beat and rape and torture anyone who stepped out of line.

It's not an understatement to say that Dalai-Lama led Tibet makes North Korea look like paradise on Earth. And this is a guy for whom many westerners unironically campaign that he needs to be brought back as ruler and "save" the locals from opression.

wtf.

As much as I sympathize with the plight of Tibetans and under-industrialized people, this is just plain wrong. Dalai Lama did most *certainly* not oppress people of Tibet. Neither did he dictate the way you cynically suggest the actual individual choice of Tibetans. There is stupidity in accepting a poor and backward life and at the same time equal amount of obtuseness in wanting a radical change in the lifestyle just because it is the right thing/direction. The latter is what the "progressives" are guilty of.

Having your population live in slavery is literally a definition of oppression. As for people not having their choices forced on them, what do you think Tibet was? A friendly and benevolent feudalism? Enlightened aristocracy ruled with gentle hand, repaying hard work of their feudal subjects with kindness and spiritual enrichment? How naive are you?

Anna Louise Strong visited an exhibition of torture equipment that had been used by the Tibetan overlords. There were handcuffs of all sizes, including small ones for children, and instruments for cutting off noses and ears, and breaking off hands. For gouging out eyes, there was a special stone cap with two holes in it that was pressed down over the head so that the eyes bulged out through the holes and could be more readily torn out. There were instruments for slicing off kneecaps and heels, or hamstringing legs. There were hot brands, whips, and special implements for disembowling.

Yeah, it surely sounds like the individual choice of Tibetan people was respected.

Dalai-Lama is in a unique position - the left sucks his dick because of spiritual woo-woo, and the right sucks his dick because he resisted communists. As such he was never under any scrutiny and could spend his days posing as the enlightened overlord.

Absinthe

Arcane
I don’t think California has document retention laws that cover ordinary email communication within a business. Even the SEC doesn’t require this of publicly-traded corporations in the US, if I’m not mistaken.
Pretty sure this is true.

So, I don’t believe there is anything stopping Feargus from deleting all the incriminating emails he can find before any discovery process begins. It is perfectly legitimate for an executive to claim they delete every email as they read and respond to it, and people do this in order to insulate themselves.
And I'm pretty sure this is false. You can still get slapped with destruction of evidence for that. Just because you weren't taken to court yet doesn't mean you weren't destroying evidence of wrongdoing so it couldn't be held against you in court. Even if it was a routine deletion.

https://corporate.findlaw.com/litig...reserving-electronic-evidence-during-the.html (Archive link since it seems to be down right now.)

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Not exactly on topic, Armenians were not colonised. Also Armenian genocide is related to nationalism; a mental disease.
Not exactly, while the last killings have been committed by the young turks, the reason is simply: Islam. No such atrocities have been made against a non turkic muslim population in the late Osmanic empire and early Turkey, but against all christians. And it would have happened also in this time in the balkans and greece if this region wouldn't have split away from the Osmanic empire in previous century.
I recommend for you to read:
Qur'an 8:12, Qur'an 8:39, Qur'an 8:60, Qur'an 9:29, Qur'an 9:123, Qur'an 48:29, Sahih Muslim 33-, Sahih al-bukhari 6922 and etc...
You have no idea what you are talking about. Three pashas were anti-religious scientific materialists, Armenians, Ponts, Arabs etc. were persecuted because they weren't Turkish. Check what Djemal Pasha did to Muslim Arabs that were rebellious.

You anti-Islam types get so lost in your ideology you discredit your own legitimate arguments against atrocities committed by non-Europeans.

Of course three pashas being influenced by nationalism is a thorn that's outside of narrative painted by European nationalists.

I don't care about Qur'an and hadith you quote, it's not related.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

aratuk

Cipher
And I'm pretty sure this is false. You can still get slapped with destruction of evidence for that. Just because you weren't taken to court yet doesn't mean you weren't destroying evidence of wrongdoing so it couldn't be held against you in court. Even if it was a regularly scheduled deletion.

https://corporate.findlaw.com/litig...reserving-electronic-evidence-during-the.html (Archive link since it seems to be down right now.)

Well, yes, of course if he were provably erasing evidence he could get pinned for it. But if there were a “regularly scheduled deletion” that left the years-old recollection of a disgruntled former business partner as the as the only remaining evidence of conspiracy to defraud the shareholders, the IRS (or whomever), then so much the better for Feargus.

Absinthe

Arcane
No, read the link. A "regularly scheduled deletion" of incriminating evidence is still something you would get in trouble for.

aratuk

Cipher
Yes, provided that someone can prove the incriminating evidence was there before it was deleted.

:M

From what I gather, if they didn’t have any email more than three years old, it certainly wouldn’t look good, and it could make the situation worse for them if there is evidence elsewhere. But, in itself they aren’t legally required to have the old email. It would just be a matter of reasonably justifying their retention practices and hoping they didn’t miss anything and no one (beyond Avellone) snitches.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not exactly on topic, Armenians were not colonised. Also Armenian genocide is related to nationalism; a mental disease.
Not exactly, while the last killings have been committed by the young turks, the reason is simply: Islam. No such atrocities have been made against a non turkic muslim population in the late Osmanic empire and early Turkey, but against all christians. And it would have happened also in this time in the balkans and greece if this region wouldn't have split away from the Osmanic empire in previous century.
Qur'an 8:12, Qur'an 8:39, Qur'an 8:60, Qur'an 9:29, Qur'an 9:123, Qur'an 48:29, Sahih Muslim 33-, Sahih al-bukhari 6922 and etc...
You have no idea what you are talking about. Three pashas were anti-religious scientific materialists, Armenians, Ponts, Arabs etc. were persecuted because they weren't Turkish. Check what Djemal Pasha did to Muslim Arabs that were rebellious.

You anti-Islam types get so lost in your ideology you discredit your own legitimate arguments against atrocities committed by non-Europeans.

Of course three pashas being influenced by nationalism is a thorn that's outside of narrative painted by European nationalists.

C'mon Codex, I'm still semi-lurking - don't let me down with your response to this one. :killit:

Absinthe

Arcane
Chippy, that is some seriously off-topic shit and it needs to fuck off to the politics board. GD is leaking over a quality thread right now, and you dumbfucks need to GTFO already. That includes IHaveHugeNick's sudden interest in derailing the thread towards his strange hatred of Tibet as his latest effort in discouraging Avellone from posting.

The Bishop

Cipher
As for what games I worked on - there isn't much of those, but me and Chris Avellone once worked together on an unreleased game called The Collapse.

It was supposed to be published by Electronic Arts, and the action was actually set in Hell.

You, the protagonist, are a young demon, making your way up through Hell's corporate ladder. And Hell is in crisis - there's too many sinners out there, and we are running out of space in fiery pits. Lucifer, King of Hell, sends you on a quest to find Jesus and convince him to make some space in heaven for the neverending influx of sinners.

The production was going great, we had amazing vertical slice, EA loved it. But then Feargus told us to "sex up" the succubus companion. I don't need to explain what happens if you sex up a succubus.

Feargus took the demo to the EA, but all the 20 men in the board room immediately had a raging boner from hell. They couldn't even hear Feargus talk, because the only sound heard was their erect penises, furiously bumping the conference table. Boom-boom, boom-boom, boom-boom, I still hear that sound in my nightmares. One older corporate VP actually passed out, because all the blood drained from his head and into his dick.

Obviously no one wanted to admit what actually happened, so EA cancelled the game just to keep that story from ever leaking. It is now but a legend, known only to the most veteran Obsidianites.

Anyhoo lads, that's all questions I can answer for now. Me and Josh are going to protest global warming tonight.
Even if you're not an Obsidian employee, you should be. I say, just walk into their building and stay there for a while. The place is so chaotic they won't even notice something's wrong. Once they get used to you being there, you start getting involved with their writing. If somebody asks just show them your Codex badge, and it should be ok.

Prime Junta

Even if you're not an Obsidian employee, you should be. I say, just walk into their building and stay there for a while. The place is so chaotic they won't even notice something's wrong. Once they get used to you being there, you start getting involved with their writing. If somebody asks just show them your Codex badge, and it should be ok.

And tell the CFO you're Feargus's nephew. You'll be on the payroll no time flat.

rohand

Cipher
As for what games I worked on - there isn't much of those, but me and Chris Avellone once worked together on an unreleased game called The Collapse.

It was supposed to be published by Electronic Arts, and the action was actually set in Hell.

You, the protagonist, are a young demon, making your way up through Hell's corporate ladder. And Hell is in crisis - there's too many sinners out there, and we are running out of space in fiery pits. Lucifer, King of Hell, sends you on a quest to find Jesus and convince him to make some space in heaven for the neverending influx of sinners.

The production was going great, we had amazing vertical slice, EA loved it. But then Feargus told us to "sex up" the succubus companion. I don't need to explain what happens if you sex up a succubus.

Feargus took the demo to the EA, but all the 20 men in the board room immediately had a raging boner from hell. They couldn't even hear Feargus talk, because the only sound heard was their erect penises, furiously bumping the conference table. Boom-boom, boom-boom, boom-boom, I still hear that sound in my nightmares. One older corporate VP actually passed out, because all the blood drained from his head and into his dick.

Obviously no one wanted to admit what actually happened, so EA cancelled the game just to keep that story from ever leaking. It is now but a legend, known only to the most veteran Obsidianites.

Anyhoo lads, that's all questions I can answer for now. Me and Josh are going to protest global warming tonight.

Reminds me of George Costanza getting fired and coming back to the office as if nothing had happened.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Reminds me of George Costanza getting fired and coming back to the office as if nothing had happened.

Why do you think all the pink hairs are there? You get fired, you change your hair color, and go back to work like nothing happened. You get fired again, change your hair color again, go back like nothing happened. Eventually you settle on pink because it makes people not even want to look at you.

Darkzone

Arcane
Taqiyya and Kidma works only on retards, not on people who are educated. And if you continue on this path i will educate the people even further.
The Ponts were christian greeks and most of the killed Arabs in Lebanon and Syria were also christians. Djemal Pasha is one of the main actors in the Armenian (christians) genocide, the Greek (christians) genocide, Assyrian (christians) genocide and was also involved in the Balkan wars.
As the governor of Syria he was hanging Lebanses (chrisitans and druze), Shia Muslmis (different Muslim branch than his Sunni Islam) and also Syrian (christians) and yes he killed 34 political opponents that were also like him Sunni.
That are a lot of christians and very very few muslims, especially Sunni. And for someone that was anti-religious he killed many people who were of different religion than he was.
Btw. Sahih al-bukhari 6922.
I dont care if you care what the Qur'an and Hadiths are saying, but i care that people act upon them.
And if someone needs more info about different Qur'an and Hadith verses that say that Muslims are that best people that should kill disbelivers (christians and jews the worst of animals) and enslave / kill someone who does not pay his Jizya, then just make an infosign below. And i will also explain the lying in the name of islam: Taqqiya, Kidma, Muruna, and Tauria. And as a special bonus i will explain how muslims should beat their woman according to islam and whom they are allowed to rape.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wow dude those are all just metaphors I mean like holy shit, listen up bigot take your hate speech back to GD because this is clearly still a high-quality, happening thread and you're ruining it.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Taqiyya and Kidma works only on retards, not on people who are educated. And if you continue on this path i will educate the people even further.
The Ponts were christian greeks and most of the killed Arabs in Lebanon and Syria were also christians. Djemal Pasha is one of the main actors in the Armenian (christians) genocide, the Greek (christians) genocide, Assyrian (christians) genocide and was also involved in the Balkan wars.
As the governor of Syria he was hanging Lebanses (chrisitans and druze), Shia Muslmis (different Muslim branch than his Sunni Islam) and also Syrian (christians) and yes he killed 34 political opponents that were also like him Sunni.
That are a lot of christians and very very few muslims, especially Sunni. And for someone that was anti-religious he killed many people who were of different religion than he was.
Btw. Sahih al-bukhari 6922.
I dont care if you care what the Qur'an and Hadiths are saying, but i care that people act upon them.
And if someone needs more info about different Qur'an and Hadith verses that say that Muslims are that best people that should kill disbelivers (christians and jews the worst of animals) and enslave / kill someone who does not pay his Jizya, then just make an infosign below. And i will also explain the lying in the name of islam: Taqqiya, Kidma, Muruna, and Tauria. And as a special bonus i will explain how muslims should beat their woman according to islam and whom they are allowed to rape.
I had too many drinks today to give you a thorough history lesson on three pasha history. Go on your righteous internet crusade, it's fun to live in your head.

Absinthe

Arcane
Yes, provided that someone can prove the incriminating evidence was there before it was deleted.
That's not as hard as you think. It's one thing to delete e-mails to prevent the public from knowing what existed, and another to delete e-mails and try to lie to your own employees and coworkers about them ever existing. They know better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom