Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What is it with Obsidian and putting their dullest foot forward? The intro and first island are so dull I wonder if people refund this before they get to the second island where things pick up.

duanth123

Arcane
That opening sequence is going to be annoying on following playthroughs.
And I kurwa wonder when they are going to understand that nobody interjects words from their language when they are mówić (translation: speaking) in other language.
This is actually something Californians would have relevant experience in. Tons of the Spanish speakers inject Spanish when they're speaking English and English when they're speaking Spanish. Well at least with each other. It is silly when they're talking to someone who wouldn't understand it.

Bilingual speakers do this when speaking to another bilingual. They unconsciously interject words in either language that better convey their meaning. They do not randomly insert one word to remind you they speak another language or more like for the writer to heavy handedly remind the player of what kind of person they're talking to in game. And they usually wouldn't regardless to a mono lingual

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Hyperlinks are cool, why remove them?
Because what's in them is mostly irrelevant - lore dumps and lingo explanation. Tranny did some stuff with links like secret messages but here it's just that.
You need to explain something relevant, use actual characters.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
This is actually something Californians would have relevant experience in. Tons of the Spanish speakers inject Spanish when they're speaking English and English when they're speaking Spanish. Well at least with each other. It is silly when they're talking to someone who wouldn't understand it.

fuck i didnt see this post when i made that comment, fuckin' puta
No me fuck

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
That opening sequence is going to be annoying on following playthroughs.
And I kurwa wonder when they are going to understand that nobody interjects words from their language when they are mówić (translation: speaking) in other language.

A really small thing - but in District 9 people said that it was a plot hole that the Prawns spoke in their language, the humans spoke back in English - but they understood each other. It never stuck out to me because in South Africa its pretty common to have a conversation flow between two people speaking two different languages. Perhaps its a byproduct of having a population where most speakers are at least bilingual.

Languages and culture are extremely interlinked.

Tigranes

Arcane
The writing - again, they should really just give up on 95% of the narration text
also
- Hide/remove all hyperlinks, presentation seems to take care of it well enough
- Reduce amount of lingo

= PoE game with good dialogue.

It's way less bright and shiny than Tyranny, so I'm OK with it.

The custom lingo, I'm fine with it being there but it's a missed opportunity to do better. All the Di Verus stuff seems tacked on because they don't really add any kind of expression or idea that couldn't be expressed in common. When you had the lingo in Torment you saw it being used to express relationships or emotions or activities that are particular to that culture. Here, you'd want to see, say, Vailian expression that has to do with people who skimp on their contractual obligations, or an Aumaua saying about weathers and storms, instead of DI VERUS the avocados cost so much PUTA!!

Mazisky

Magister
Performance is too inconsistent for me.

World map navigation is a pain with huge stuttering all around.

Big areas like fort dreadlight have fps drops just like the white march. I guess i'll wait some patches.

Patches cant solve this stop using outdated hardware.

I7 - Geforce 1070 - every other game goes 60+fps with max settings.

U meant stop using outdated engine in making games i guess.

Pillarrs of eternity 1 intel pentium dual core e5200 3Ghz 4 GB 800Mhz ram DDR2 ATI HD 6670 2 Gb Gddr3 35+ FPS most 22 FPS Worst

I7 gtx 1070 my who the fucks spend this amount of money to play rpgs lol
Lear how to properly configure your PC
Stop mentioning GPU IN CPU intensive game(s)... Educate yourself FFS

U are saying random stuff without any logic.

"who the fuck spend this amount of money to play rpgs lol"

Didn't u just say stop using outdated hardware?

Also, cpu intensive game, a i7 isn't enough for pillars2?

You are clearly a retarded scumbag without any clue on what u're writing, stop smashing the keyboard pls

Jezal_k23

Big areas like fort dreadlight have fps drops just like the white march. I guess i'll wait some patches.

Just fyi, I had performance issues with the fort too. It ran pretty badly (25-30fps) until I restarted the game. Then it ran perfectly.

Also, gotta say, exploration of the world map with the ship is genuinely fun. And the map is huge.

Xunwael

Educated
Bilingual speakers do this when speaking to another bilingual. They unconsciously interject words in either language that better convey their meaning. They do not randomly insert one word to remind you they speak another language or more like for the writer to heavy handedly remind the player of what kind of person they're talking to in game. And they usually wouldn't regardless to a mono lingual
I've never experienced this in my entire life of english conversations with scandinavians, germans, french, belgians, even the british. Only time I've ever seen this happen is in american movies and TV shows. Then again, I notice my sample size is all northern europeans. Perhaps culturally inferior southerners like the spanish and italians and the greek and other non-whites do indeed do this compulsively.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
btw, always love to see posts on the codex by europoors jealous of others' computers saying shit like "lol you have an i7 to play crpgs" etc. maybe they play other genres? maybe they do a lot of photo/video editing...maybe they did a cost benefit analysis and realize it is better to pay a little more to have room for creeping computing needs, etc

Parabalus

Arcane
The shanties are brilliant.

Just fyi, I had performance issues with the fort too. It ran pretty badly (25-30fps) until I restarted the game. Then it ran perfectly.

Also, gotta say, exploration of the world map with the ship is genuinely fun. And the map is huge.

Same experience here, when it starts getting laggy a restart fixes it.

Jezal_k23

One thing that has always seemed weird to me in PoE, and still is in Deadfire, is how owned loot (loot that you're stealing if you take it) is distributed along the map. It always seems COMPLETELY RANDOM, whether inside or outside of buildings.

For example:

This box is totally fine to loot.

jLAlS3f.jpg

But THAT one I can't loot, because it's STEALING, AND STEALING IS BAD:

thCfRwR.jpg

:despair:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Motherfucker put his box on the left instead of the right, duuuuh

Hellion

Arcane
I remember another funny instance of loot placement. In the slums district of Neketaka you find a beggar that says "please help me, I haven't eaten for days" etc etc, RIGHT NEXT TO HIM is a lootable barrel full of vegetables and rice.

Suicidal

Arcane
Pretty surprised at the generally positive reaction to the game in this thread. But then again, this is the Obsidian subforum, so all the people who absolutely loathed PoE 1 are probably too busy shitting up GRPG with complaints about how there aren't any good games in the world anymore or something.

I though PoE1 was pretty good (not great, but entertaining enough) but I liked White March a lot (kinda felt like a less severe NWN 2 OC - > MotB jump in quality to me). So from what I've gathered PoE 2 is shaping up to be the Storm of Zehir of the series? I want to give it a shot, but at the same time I want the "complete version" with all of the DLCs they promised. So I guess I'm gonna have to wait for that. Or at least wait for a few months till they patch it, cause, you know, Bugsidian and all that.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember another funny instance of loot placement. In the slums district of Neketaka you find a beggar that says "please help me, I haven't eaten for days" etc etc, RIGHT NEXT TO HIM is a lootable barrel full of vegetables and rice.

sounds like a beggar, tbqh..

so many times someone has come up to me on the street and said they needed money for a bus, when I offer to give them a bus pass that has $4 dollars on it they become dismissive and walk away... really activates the almonds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom