Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

jdinatale

Cipher
I preloaded the game yesterday and overnight the game uninstalled itself somehow from Steam. Anyone have this happen?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I absolutely despised PoE 1 and feel only wasteland 2 can compete for being a bigger disappointment when it comes to recent rpgs. Since I brushed it from my mind it was a surprise to see Poe2 in the steam charts today.

Curious to see Poe 2 is any better then its predecessor, although that shouldn't be too hard.

Trash Player

Scholar
The game has to be silly easy when a blind solo non-monk martial class PotD run can go to the main city with a good selection of equipment.
Some observations:
1.DR change may look obtuse but it is more meaningful than just threshold: switching armour or stacking dr make clearcut differences. It also works as a natural gating mechanism like D20 style x/+y but less binary.
2.The food and drugs, boy. Those bonus are enough to make every trash setup playable. The eq too. It is probably random loot but an quasi-unbreakable per rest amulet in the starting town? A wyvern summoning amulet without a fight?
3.Like I expected, the entire management sim is safe to ignore. Free resources everywhere and non-aggressive AI.
This game remind me a lot of SOZ: world map, CYOA encounters, small tactical maps, tropical themes.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Thoughts so far

+ character development is a massive improvement over the first game. Massive, it's not even a contest.
+ same goes for loading screens
+ same goes for graphics. More accurately, static graphics have had a mild bump, but animations are fucking light years ahead of the first game.
+ Can't say about the story much, but it certainly opens up with a wallop

- Awful performance. Granted I have a fairly ancient rig, but If I can reasonably play 2018 AAA games on medium-ish, an isometric cRPG shouldn't have FPS drops
- Narrator is infurating
- full voice acting, as predicted, gets in the way in larger conversations

I'm neutral with the intro = it was quite atmospheric way to introduce a save import, I think people who may have skipped, or didn't finish the first game, will find it confusing and overly long.

2house2fly

Magister
Anyone else getting some weird stuttering or is the hot weather melting my GPU/CPU? Running around with 60 fps, but occasionally it stutters when moving around, also it is noticeable in combat when Edar gets hit. Kinda thinking it is sound related maybe?
I'd check task manager / perfomance tab. Sounds like accessing storage for virtual memory. If you've made any custom changes to your virtual memory allocation, reset it to defaults.
Once you launch deadfire, change the CPU affinity to your last 50% of cores (so Core 2 and Core 3 for a 4 core cpu).

Apparently all release builds of Unity are single threaded, and windows (at least up until 7) tends to put the greatest load on Core 0, so you'll get Unity competing with windows for execution priority. I'm simplifying here, but that's the gist. This reduced jitter for me on Battletech (Unity game), and even with KCD (CryEngine) being multithreaded, taking all tasks off Core 0 also sped the game up.
I'll have to give this a go, on my machine the game runs just-JUST-acceptably on lowest settings. Any bump will be a big help

2house2fly

Magister
Also for as much as they belabour the events of the first game and explain this game's intro to you multiple times, they seem to have skipped a full explanation of what my exact mission is. All Berath said was "find Eothas and figure out what he's up to" but also I seem to be collecting souls and there's an implication the reincarnation cycle is messed up. Am I collecting souls to... fight Eothas with? Keep them safe until they can be returned to the Wheel?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Holy shit, I found what's wrong with the voices. At least one of the things anyway. All the selection and command sounds are played only from the rear speakers:

FFS...

latest

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone else getting some weird stuttering or is the hot weather melting my GPU/CPU? Running around with 60 fps, but occasionally it stutters when moving around, also it is noticeable in combat when Edar gets hit. Kinda thinking it is sound related maybe?
I'd check task manager / perfomance tab. Sounds like accessing storage for virtual memory. If you've made any custom changes to your virtual memory allocation, reset it to defaults.
Once you launch deadfire, change the CPU affinity to your last 50% of cores (so Core 2 and Core 3 for a 4 core cpu).

Apparently all release builds of Unity are single threaded, and windows (at least up until 7) tends to put the greatest load on Core 0, so you'll get Unity competing with windows for execution priority. I'm simplifying here, but that's the gist. This reduced jitter for me on Battletech (Unity game), and even with KCD (CryEngine) being multithreaded, taking all tasks off Core 0 also sped the game up.
I tried this, but as with KCD, no difference in framerate. Apparently my GPU is the bottleneck.

Polanski

Scholar
I have no voice-over for any characters, neither in or out of dialogue. Has this bug happened to anyone else?

Also just found out, that if any characters die in the initial pirate battle, they are dead for good. I was wondering why I hadn't encountered Eder yet. :P

AwesomeButton

Patron
I have no voice-over for any characters, neither in or out of dialogue. Has this bug happened to anyone else?

Also just found out, that if any characters die in the initial pirate battle, they are dead for good. I was wondering why I hadn't encountered Eder yet. :P
What about when you put headphones?

BTW, the really shit news is that when this gets fixed they will probably have to re-release all the audio that's coming through the wrong channels. What a glorious fuckup.

Shadenuat

Arcane
NPC: - Hah talking piss, (points to <PlayerRanger>) he has a beast which goes everywhere and probably pisses everywhere

Ghost Heart kit Ranger:

85698178.jpg

:balance: : Still, we did aknowledge the choice and even voice acted it

This was almost cruel I felt sad for my character.

Imagine some little elf girl ranger with ghost wolf
- Well you probably been pissed on by a ghost, you know
- Ah-
- Cause my pet died terribly during avalanche made by gigantic god statue
- Was totally crushed I barely managed to scrape her back paw with a paddle from a mountain of rubble my keep turned into (gigantic elfgirl anime teary eyes intensify)
- Im so--
- I still carry that paw as amulet here near my heart. And her ghost comes to me
- .....I'm just going to shut up forever now.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron

I tried this, but as with KCD, no difference in framerate. Apparently my GPU is the bottleneck.
Yeah, I keep forgetting to include the caveat: if you're CPU, not GPU limited.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love how you get to choose who tries which check in the "CYOA" segments, much better like that

jf8350143

Liturgist
The companion relationship system seems a little broken at the time, with the relationship points increases way too fast.

I recruit Maia, 10 min and two talks with random NPCs later she has one positive relationship point with my watcher and triggers a flirt conversation. Similar things happens with Pallegina, I recruit her, talk to her once and Xoti suddenly has a breakdown and saying she has had enough with Pallegina constantly talking **** about her religion.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
What about when you put headphones?.
Nope, nothing
I tried setting my speakers to "Stereo" from Right clicking the audio indicator > Playback devices > Right click on the speakers > Configure Speakers. Now I hear selection/command sounds through the only two speakers that Windows utilizes.

I don't know what your problem might be, I guess just open a thread in the Obsidian Support forum for Deadfire.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A few hours deeper and i must say that i am pleasantly surprised by the writing,it feel very fitting for the setting. A lot of vulgarity and genuine assholeness. The voice acting on the other hand is terrible,it feels like the gathered bunch of drunken russians and a few rednecks to speak in the microphone. As a whole the game is an improvement over the first one,even if it have a few stupid things. Oh and i didn't find anything that is much SJW, outside of the fact that everyone is a nigger/overcooked arab or a shark,but this is part of the setting so i can't blame them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom