Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
It would be cool of all those detalis were depended on lore in respective aspect
But I ques programmer would commit sudoku over amount of work...

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Dude what's with the npcs dissapearing not even 10 feet away from me? I mean is the game that fucking demanding that they have to take out the npc even if you have the camera right in the fucking center? Jesus christ, I'm moving around the city and npcs pop out all over the place right in front of me, it feels like I'm playing Oblivion with the lowest settings all over again. Is there a setting to alleviate this shit because it's getting on my nerves.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Picked ranger pet and druid summon on level 4. Forgot you are only allowed 1 summon per character at all times. Thought they balanced it and since you PICK TWO ABILITIES, YOU GET TO USE TWO, THATS WHY I DUAL CLASSED, EVEN IN DIABLO CLONES YOU GET TO USE TWO, WHY NO FUN--

had to get back to town to respec back to level 1.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
5 hours and 50 minutes and on Veteran. Far too easy. All fights last no more than a few seconds and I steam roll everything. :(

Cross

Arcane
deadfire-elias.jpg

Call me autistic if you will, but:

book of Aedyran poetry by the artist Scilba

How do our characters know that? Can they see the book's cover? And if they can: does it really matter to me, as a player? Also

Looking more closely

So the first thing we noticed was

1. What the book was about, and
2. Who wrote the book.

As opposed to the dude picking a padlock with his free hand? What?

EDIT:

This reminds me of something my Screenplay professor told us the other day: don't focus on meaningless details; the only details worth describing are those that are actually important (e.g. the eagle foreshadows that character's affiliation with a certain faction or group of people). I understand there's a difference between a book and a film, but IMO videogames are much closer to movies than books are. And Obsidian insists on focusing on the meaningless details that provide NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER on the characters, as opposed to the ones that actually do.

It is one thing to describe Cass' breath smells like alcohol (in an isometric Fallout game). It is another thing to descibre what material her shoes are made of. Granted, I have no idea if this lanky dude's love for poetry comes into play at any moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.
I agree, although I'd say you're still being a bit too lenient on Obsidian and understating the problem. To put things into perspective:

3GEPywL.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
It is still not easy to find a good read on just how the fuck things like accuracy, pen, power levels and other stuff work together without clicking between many many tabs and LONG tips
Funny, I felt it was a major improvement there. Mind you, it might have to do with me being an autistic fucker and having a taste for looking for meta information.
I like how the combat log, with the shift command, breaks down enemies' deflection for instance. Clearly displaying what bonus comes from where (level, abilities, equipped items). I just learnt that panthers (or whatever the fuck they were) have +10 deflection at night that way.
Also, is it just me or buffs/debuffs are much more readable now ? Or is it just because I'm low level and it turns into an unreadable mess later on ?

On another note, map travelling is cool for a first playthrough, as it makes exploration very interesting. I suspect however that it's typically the kind of features that turn annoying and tiresome for subsequent playthroughs, and hurts replayability overall.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is still not easy to find a good read on just how the fuck things like accuracy, pen, power levels and other stuff work together without clicking between many many tabs and LONG tips
Funny, I felt it was a major improvement there. Mind you, it might have to do with me being an autistic fucker and having a taste for looking for meta information.
I like how the combat log, with the shift command, breaks down enemies' deflection for instance. Clearly displaying what bonus comes from where (level, abilities, equipped items). I just learnt that panthers (or whatever the fuck they were) have +10 deflection at night that way.
Also, is it just me or buffs/debuffs are much more readable now ? Or is it just because I'm low level and it turns into an unreadable mess later on ?

On another note, map travelling is cool for a first playthrough, as it makes exploration very interesting. I suspect however that it's typically the kind of features that turn annoying and tiresome for subsequent playthroughs, and hurts replayability overall.
Aren't the rules still explained in a special section in the Journal? Not counting the official wiki, where there is a section explaining the rules too. Overall PoE2 is much more clear.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I can't believe people were slamming this game for having too much blatant social justice. Here we've got blacks and natives as the evil colonizers! That's the kind of justice I can get behind.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From what I've been reading, the setting presents history's ironies and cruelty without getting the teacher's pointer and designating "This is Bad". Pretty admirable, I hope it stays that way throughout.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone else getting some weird stuttering or is the hot weather melting my GPU/CPU? Running around with 60 fps, but occasionally it stutters when moving around, also it is noticeable in combat when Edar gets hit. Kinda thinking it is sound related maybe?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Anyone else getting some weird stuttering or is the hot weather melting my GPU/CPU? Running around with 60 fps, but occasionally it stutters when moving around, also it is noticeable in combat when Edar gets hit. Kinda thinking it is sound related maybe?
Tiny chance it would help, as I'm pretty sure that's not your problem, but I had a weird ass choppy camera movement until I deactivated the "smart cam" option, or whatever it's called.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
deadfire-elias.jpg

Call me autistic if you will, but:

book of Aedyran poetry by the artist Scilba

How do our characters know that? Can they see the book's cover? And if they can: does it really matter to me, as a player? Also

Looking more closely

So the first thing we noticed was

1. What the book was about, and
2. Who wrote the book.

As opposed to the dude picking a padlock with his free hand? What?

EDIT:

This reminds me of something my Screenplay professor told us the other day: don't focus on meaningless details; the only details worth describing are those that are actually important (e.g. the eagle foreshadows that character's affiliation with a certain faction or group of people). I understand there's a difference between a book and a film, but IMO videogames are much closer to movies than books are. And Obsidian insists on focusing on the meaningless details that provide NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER on the characters, as opposed to the ones that actually do.

It is one thing to describe Cass' breath smells like alcohol (in an isometric Fallout game). It is another thing to descibre what material her shoes are made of. Granted, I have no idea if this lanky dude's love for poetry comes into play at any moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.
I agree, although I'd say you're still being a bit too lenient on Obsidian and understating the problem. To put things into a wider perspective:

3GEPywL.jpg

There are a lot of cherries being picked in this specific comparison, even though PoE is often more wordy than PS:T.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm wondering whether the fact that the combat in this game is too easy is really a drawback.

PoE 1 combat was mediocre and not really challenging even on PotD. The only thing I can say for certain is that it took too long. From my experience playing on PotD, if I just selected all of my party members and clicked on the enemies once hoping my party would sort this shit out themselves, I'd get anally devastated by even a tiny pack of wildlife (I remember how a boar ran up to Aloth and critically hit him for more damage than his max HP). But if I actually paused the game and started micromanaging shit, there was no way I could lose.

What that meant is that in every battle I did pretty much the same things (which usually involved pulling the mobs to some narrow area and spamming AoE damage spells, preferably with some crowd control effect attached). It took a lot of pausing, a lot of clicking, a lot of menu-navigating, but very little thinking, which is what I'm hoping tactical party-based combat will make me do.

So if PoE2's combat will be more of the same, maybe it's for the best that it's easier.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'd check task manager / perfomance tab. Sounds like accessing storage for virtual memory. If you've made any custom changes to your virtual memory allocation, reset it to defaults.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Only had a little bit of time to play last night. I thought the opening was fine the first time. Given that I am a serial restarter and had trouble deciding on an MC, the appeal wore off by start #3. I did check to see if you could save at Berath, right before char gen, but they appear to disable saving in the prologue. Lame.

Game-wise, I'm liking what little I've seen, though it's very easy. Xoti's accent (and that of the other Readcerans) is annoying as hell. Eder seems fairly bro-ish still. I like the SoZ feel of the overmap, and was surprised to find the first town actually had multiple districts.

Playing a monk/rogue atm. No performance issues at all so far although I did get a really weird issue on my first start where I hit one of the boarding pirates during the beginning, and then jumped straight to the text adventure stuff. Apparently, that one hit was enough for the game to decide I'd already killed all of the pirates on board?

tripedal

Augur
Try to transition to a different area, game dumps me to the main menu in order to prevent save game corruption.

Try to load, and my saves are corrupted anyway. How do they manage to do this every time...

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'd check task manager / perfomance tab. Sounds like accessing storage for virtual memory. If you've made any custom changes to your virtual memory allocation, reset it to defaults.
Once you launch deadfire, change the CPU affinity to your last 50% of cores (so Core 2 and Core 3 for a 4 core cpu).

Apparently all release builds of Unity are single threaded, and windows (at least up until 7) tends to put the greatest load on Core 0, so you'll get Unity competing with windows for execution priority. I'm simplifying here, but that's the gist. This reduced jitter for me on Battletech (Unity game), and even with KCD (CryEngine) being multithreaded, taking all tasks off Core 0 also sped the game up.

Salvo

Arcane
I'm wondering whether the fact that the combat in this game is too easy is really a drawback.

PoE 1 combat was mediocre and not really challenging even on PotD. The only thing I can say for certain is that it took too long. From my experience playing on PotD, if I just selected all of my party members and clicked on the enemies once hoping my party would sort this shit out themselves, I'd get anally devastated by even a tiny pack of wildlife (I remember how a boar ran up to Aloth and critically hit him for more damage than this max HP). But if I actually paused the game and started micromanaging shit, there was no way I could lose.

What that meant is that in every battle I did pretty much the same things (which usually involved pulling the mobs to some narrow area and spamming AoE damage spells, preferably with some crowd control effect attached). It took a lot of pausing, a lot of clicking, a lot of menu-navigating, but very little thinking, which is what I'm hoping tactical party-based combat will make me do.

So if PoE2's combat will be more of the same, maybe it's for the best that it's easier.

Nah bro, thing is PoE was filled with trash fights to fill in more content and that diluted the game. In this regard Deadfire seems much more finely tuned, with less trash mobs overall, which is why combat being far, FAR too easy is a problem.
Take the Adra Dragon in the first game. It gets hyped up since the first ten hours and you only manage to reach it after a long time. Imagine if the fight was piss easy (it's not), and how big of a fool you would feel for defeating such a foe so easily.

Now take that feeling and apply it to the whole of Deadfire. Once again, the game NEEDS a patch.

Jezal_k23

The Fort Deadlight quest was pretty incline imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom