Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

hivemind

So, when can we expect the codex review? The first one anyway, I hope Darth Roxor is already on the job?
already have my structure set up

expect it in 1-2 weeks

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I will agree, that the voice of Eothas, while not bad, is bit of a let down. I expected more epicness and grandueur. Oh well. I loved Thaos' voice, very cool and memerable

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Arggh Lightning strikes vs Swift flurry for the monk, holy shit that's a difficult decision. Both are just extremely great.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
The game seems to sell like crap, on 4-5th place, was even on 6 at one moment, guess going over-budget with the second-handed voice acting wasnt the brightest idea, eh Josh?:lol:

What are you talking about?

Now:

poE.png

fobia

The game seems to sell like crap, on 4-5th place, was even on 6 at one moment, guess going over-budget with the second-handed voice acting wasnt the brightest idea, eh Josh?:lol:

VO was a decision made by the owners.

Thonius

Arcane

VO was a decision made by the owners.
But it's Josh fault - Feargus.
Game sells well - that's because of good leadership of top level managers.
Game sells bad - that's because Josh did a bad job despite top level managers trying to save the game.

Prime Junta

Wait a few days for the data to stabilise before going full Schadenfreude/despair/whatever. Also remember that Steam changed their reporting system so data from September 2017 and now aren't directly comparable.

So, when can we expect the codex review? The first one anyway, I hope Darth Roxor is already on the job?

Don't hold your breath. Unless you're into that sort of thing of course, I don't kinkshame

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
First consensus based on CodexSpy: It's a disaster! While looking good, the combat lacks and is way to easy (just cleared starting island, C L E A R E D). Every companion is a cringe-fest and SJW-infested, while the female narrator makes my ears bleed (does she talk all the game or what?). Also it's a huge flop so JES will loose his job by end of this month. Game breaking bugs around Fort Deadlight, beware. Obsidian is finished.

Eisenheinrich I think that's because the steam store only shows you regional topsellers when you check it directly through the steam app.

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=win&filter=globaltopsellers

Considering all games above Deadfire have a huge player base and are cheaper, it's not the end of the world.

Huh, you're right. Checked worldwide, just fourth place. Guess I have to apologize, dragonul09!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A question. When you sneak up to someone and attack, do you get some kind of stealth bonus? I did the same amount of damage as fighting normally when I checked, but maybe I have missed out on something.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Eisenheinrich I think that's because the steam store only shows you regional topsellers when you check it directly through the steam app.

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=win&filter=globaltopsellers

Considering all games above Deadfire have a huge player base and are cheaper, it's not the end of the world.

Really? Because FrostPunk was numba whuan for a few days, with almost 30k people online and I can't say that it had a release with a big fanfare, similar to PoE 2 or even worse. People may think what they want, but this doesn't bode too well for PoE 2 at all, it just shows that the game couldnt retain a large part of the player base from the first game. Imagine that they even went over-budget with this one and it pales compared with their first release.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
My main char is 3CON/3RES - I found him getting knocked down in Deadfire much more than the beginning of PoE1, more ranged enemies and they focus him instantly, even if they were out of range, in PoE1 he would have to walk into them, so he could attack frontline safely.

Orlan baby bug is just if you didn't complete the quest, i.e. you kidnapped the baby and never talked to either of the two questgivers.

I completed the quest by trying to poison that one dude but failed and ended up fighting and killing him.. no Vela for me.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Played for a couple hours now. Initial thoughts:

-The beginning areas are cool. Good mix of questing and dungeon crawling. Much better than Gilded Vale. I'm liking the setting.

-I'm levelling up lightning fast. Fine by me, although I do hope it slows down soon.

-The stash/inventory seems even worse now? There's probably some way to sort it but it's getting real cluttered.

-This is WAY easier than the first game so far. I'm playing "Veteran" mode and breezing it.

-Too early to tell on the writing. I don't think I like the premise much. The watcher stuff is lame as ever.

-First new companion found, Xoti. Her accent is horrendous. Not sure I'll be able to get past this to appreciate the character.

-Quality of life stuff is much improved over PoE1. Being able to preview stuff in the level up screen is great.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a lot more hype (often misplaced) for POE1 because it was "omg the return of da baldurz gate style RPG!" and "omg it is going to save obsidian!!! do it for chris!"

anyone who thought POE2 would be as popular is a fool

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I didn't like PoE all that much, I found that excessive loredumping lazy and much of it was just... boring. As much as I wanted to like it.

Still bought and downloaded last night. Good thing my weekend's almost here.

Prime Junta

A question. When you sneak up to someone and attack, do you get some kind of stealth bonus? I did the same amount of damage as fighting normally when I checked, but maybe I have missed out on something.

Only if you're a rogue and pick Backstab.

Parabalus

Arcane
Of course ... hehe.

Just attacking from range in stealth will trigger sneak attack, for backstab you need to be <2m.

Unrelated to that sometimes when attacking from stealth the first attack won't trigger recovery, I'm guessing the arrow launches and combat only triggers on hit, so the character auto recovers since OoC, letting you double hit at start.

Don't hold your breath. Unless you're into that sort of thing of course, I don't kinkshame

Well, that's a damn shame. Where's the fun if all we get are boring by-the-numbers apologist developer-ass-licking reviews? How are we ever going to break the review record (was it 4?) of PoE1 now?

Prime Junta

Well, that's a damn shame. Where's the fun if all we get are boring by-the-numbers apologist developer-ass-licking reviews? How are we ever going to break the review record (was it 4?) of PoE1 now?

Don't hold your breath for those either.

Prime Junta

Looks like it's time to abandon thread while I still like POE2....

Okay fine, here's something I like: the new rogue and fighter mechanics. With the new stealth system with vision cones as such, backstabbing is much more viable, and with engagement now being a fighter thing, the two melee classes are much better differentiated. And you can make one that does both pretty competently although not quite as competently with a swashbuckler. So good job with that Josh :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom