Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Any word on how bat the companions and the writing are? I am still waiting for the download,half an hour or so left.
only read a couple of dialogues so far(those that managed to load) and I must say its nothing too great, still too heavy on the descriptions and the dialogue is clunky and lacks characterization, the initial plot exposition has also been really heavy handed and pretty stupid to be honest
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png

iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png

iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png

iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png

iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png

A serious post from you is a thing bordering on a miracle!

hivemind

So you're saying this is the next Arcanum?
they wish
I honestly had big hopes because of the unique setting but I am mostly getting dragon age vibes from it so far, the superficial novelty can't overshadow the generic, factory produced, feel of the content itself

Sergioso

Novice
Works fine under Debian 9.4 during 2 hours of gameplay (no bugs) with smooth graphics. The combat system is much better than the first one.

Jinn

Arcane
fun game so far but I really regret picking Eder as pure rogue.

Multi-classing with Eder seemed like the best bet, but yeah, those stats will fuck you pure rogue.

I honestly had big hopes because of the unique setting but I am mostly getting dragon age vibes from it so far, the superficial novelty can't overshadow the generic, factory produced, feel of the content itself

Have yet to experience any of this. How far are you?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Hot take: Feargus is the fall guy for money laundering operations of Obsidian when they funnel profits of Dumpsterfire through him into European far-right parties. Feargus will be complicit with overlapping MCA case and will take the hit, company will disband and the cash flow will be secured.

hivemind

any impressions about quest design and how open it is
the functioning quests I have managed to get done so far were reasonably ok(nothing amazing tho, some feel a bit out of place with their objective) and there are attempts at open ended solutions but the various checks seem very arbitrary, it feels more like the quests are there to highlight character system mechanics rather than for the quest solutions to be logically and narratively justified

Works fine under Debian 9.4 during 2 hours of gameplay (no bugs) with smooth graphics. The combat system is much better than the first one.
>first post
lol is obsidian actually hiring shills
it's especially funny reading a post like this when I just crashed again(third time in an hour)

I'm probably gonna call this until we have a patch out

Jinn

Arcane
The only bug I've experienced so far is the weapon icon not switching when I switch weapon sets. No crashes after 5 hours of playing and multiple alt-tabs out of the program. I am running it on a fairly newly built system, however.

Valtiel

Scholar
The tune in the first inn seems to me a blatant ripoff of a witcher 3 one, maybe the gwent theme?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
eder is too much comic relief so im gonna swap him out anyway. wonder when you get to meet some followers (not companions)

lampstaple

Novice
Any word on how bat the companions and the writing are? I am still waiting for the download,half an hour or so left.

Aloth and Eder are well-written IMO and I'm glad that the OG bois were well-written. I haven't played enough to say definitively but Xoti is pretty likeable too - she's like Eder girl edition. I thought Tekehu was going to be a super chill guy but he's mostly just flamboyant, but hey, I just recruited him - maybe there's more to him.

The writing is pretty good for the most part, the only time I actually noticed bad writing was in some of the Watcher's "funny" dialogue options sounding like cringey/low-effort/tumblr-y humor. To be honest, I feel like that's simply because everything else is voiced and it's a lot easier to identify shitty writing when you speak it out loud - the watcher's silent dialogue makes it a lot easier to miss shitty writing.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bit update about soundtrack since i've played a bit. The soundtrack is amazing, Justin did very well.
Only exception is a single horrible combat track that i hope i can remove with some mod.
You can always find the .ogg file within the game's folders, delete it, and make a copy of another one which you like, and rename it to the same name.

I've been playing for like 3 hours, and the game seems great so far.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Hoping day 1 patch will remove reading of all that text outloud, now I can't even properly ignore how that dwarf cackles and smirks and puts a finger in his nose etc

Seethe

Arbiter
I doubt it's hard to implement muting narration. DOS2 had all kinds of options for muting or unmuting sounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom