Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Ok, fuck it. I jumped on the decline train and bought the game, I wanted to try it out anyway and people's work should always be paid.

Hopefully it's not as bad as I fear it's going to be. Fingers crossed for the last few hours.
From what MCA told us in his thread, people's work ain't that well paid at Obsidian. Or respected that much.
At least Sawyer secured some royalties. Good for him, the dude worked his ass off to fix anything that could be from 1.0 to 3.0.

A revision he could have completely ignored since the metascore was already around 90.

Salvo

Arcane
Ok, fuck it. I jumped on the decline train and bought the game, I wanted to try it out anyway and people's work should always be paid.

Hopefully it's not as bad as I fear it's going to be. Fingers crossed for the last few hours.
From what MCA told us in his thread, people's work ain't that well paid at Obsidian. Or respected that much.

While it's a shame to hear that, you can know for sure that if the game doesn't sell well the first who are going to suffer for it are small-time employees and programmers/artists/etc etc, and certainly not the big heads like Urquhart.

So, we're a bit of an impasse. Buy the game and support the people that don't pay their employees or don't buy it and have the same employees get fired. :shredder:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Sawyer on level scaling
0b8cae56122d52d7bc8932d7fac14e82.jpg

Thonius

Arcane

While it's a shame to hear that, you can know for sure that if the game doesn't sell well the first who are going to suffer for it are small-time employees and programmers/artists/etc etc, and certainly not the big heads like Urquhart.

So, we're a bit of an impasse. Buy the game and support the people that don't pay their employees or don't buy it and have the same employees get fired. :shredder:
Oh come on now.... they will get portfolio at very least.

Dodo1610

Arcane
framerate drops in the big areas so game will be unplayable.

You spoiled people always had uber-rigs all the time? I remember I played some games at 20 fps, barely playable. If a game doesn't drop below 30 fps I'm content :P

20fps? I have played through the first Assassins Creed on a Pentium 4 and some ATI x1000 256mb, the game was on constant slowdown so I allways had to wait for the animations to finish. Now I can hardly stand 30fps

Parabalus

Arcane
Level scaling is shit in any game,pure decline. It is added when devs can't be bothered to balance their encounter in interesting way.

Better to do the open world Bg2 style where it doesn't matter whether you have 500k or 2.5 mil XP, since levels barely do anything, right?

Deadfire with its optional (up)scaling covers all bases.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with scaling is two-fold - the first one is the inability to see your character's advancement, making it meaningless. The second is making the different creatures nonsensical. As in, it can make a lowly rat as powerful as a dragon because only the numerical stats matter, rather than the logical consistency of the setting. This was obvious in Witcher 3, where the mobs didn't scale to your level, but they did scale to the level of the zone, so a dirty hobo could be more powerful than a creature of legend you defeated 5 levels ago.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
On the other hand, I usually don't want to get absurdly overleveled and blow through combat that should be difficult.

If you choose to scale - decline, because you can't see your character advancement.
If you choose to get overleveled - decline, because combat is easy and then what do you play for? Just for the story? U storyfag!1

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have ignored this thread in case of spoilers, but any non-spoiler general impressions thus far? I will not get a chance to try it until later today.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
On the other hand, I usually don't want to get absurdly overleveled and blow through combat that should be difficult.

If you choose to scale - decline, because you can't see your character advancement.
If you choose to get overleveled - decline, because combat is easy and then what do you play for? Just for the story? U storyfag!1
That is why there should be hard battles no matter the level you are on. A few optional super bosses will do the job. In a rpg the final boss shouldn't be the hardest....at least in modern rpgs.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
hard battles no matter the level you are on.
Yes, this is what scaling gives you.

If you want tough battles without scaling, you have to seek them out while you are still lower level than expected for that encounter. But then you will get overleveled for the stuff that you missed.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This was obvious in Witcher 3, where the mobs didn't scale to your level, but they did scale to the level of the zone, so a dirty hobo could be more powerful than a creature of legend you defeated 5 levels ago.

Not the best example. What creature of legend is more powerful than the dread murderhobo?

Jezal_k23

I could be wrong, but I remember reading that some of the content like dragons snd shit like that would not be subject to scaling.

That doesn't remove the possible problem of super powered badass level 18 xaurips, though.

Parabalus

Arcane
The problem with scaling is two-fold - the first one is the inability to see your character's advancement, making it meaningless. The second is making the different creatures nonsensical. As in, it can make a lowly rat as powerful as a dragon because only the numerical stats matter, rather than the logical consistency of the setting. This was obvious in Witcher 3, where the mobs didn't scale to your level, but they did scale to the level of the zone, so a dirty hobo could be more powerful than a creature of legend you defeated 5 levels ago.

So which open world RPG did this right according to you?

Baldur's gate 2, where levels mean nothing until HLAs?

Morrowind had fixed important stuff and scaling randoms, that's one of the options in Deadfire. Witcher 3 is again one of the options in Deadfire.

The scaling in PoE1 didn't suddenly make spirits and ghosts dangerous when you're lvl 16, but made them not explode instantly. It's the same as if you remove the +ACC/DEF per level for everyone, who's only purpose is to make you able to outlevel content - the plebs still didn't get high level stuff, so you still feel your advancement.

fobia

Level scaling is shit in any game,pure decline. It is added when devs can't be bothered to balance their encounter in interesting way.

Anything optional can't be decline because well...it's optional.
[Fanta's way to big picture]
Options do effect the game development.

This is a perfect counter argument for your claim, since the damn pronoun did not affect the development at all. It's basically the same mechanic when integrating your MC's name in dialogue. Also, IT'S OPTIONAL. But yeah, keep on shitposting.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
hard battles no matter the level you are on.
Yes, this is what scaling gives you.

If you want tough battles without scaling, you have to seek them out while you are still lower level than expected for that encounter. But then you will get overleveled for the stuff that you missed.
I am not talking about scaling here, i am talking about bosses like Q from MM6 or Drakensang river of time side bosses. A good side boss that doesn't scale up and is hard even on normal difficulty on max level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom