Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: Project Indiana and Dark Rock Industries

I don't know about the copyright, but The Outer Worlds trademark that was discovered is registered to Obsidian, not to Dark Rock. It could be that Dark Rock is only for Eternity and perhaps similar future projects.

Thanks for the facts! (Sincerely.) Now we know.

Know what? Are you saying that The Outer Worlds is the title of Tim and Leonard's game, then? :cool:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I don't know, but my pragmatic guess is that maybe Take2 wouldn't mind Feargus and his cost padding out of the picture (Feargus, at the height of stupidity, forgot to remove it in his budget he sent to them - when asked, I told them I wasn't surprised, and they should expect him to inflate costs like that, but that's why you have to watch him very, very carefully when he submits a budget - he tried to fuck over Paradox, too, because he felt entitled to).

:lol:

Developer
Know what? Are you saying that The Outer Worlds is the title of Tim and Leonard's game, then? :cool:

Jesus Christ, Infinitron, can you give it a break for like, 5 seconds? NO. I am not saying that, I am recognizing what you posted so I could give a proper response that was in the proper context - and you're right, I don't know if it's the actual name of the game at all. Jesus Fucking H Christ, you drive me insane. Have they registered any other trademarks?

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Jesus Christ, Infinitron, can you give it a break for like, 5 seconds? NO. I am not saying that, I am recognizing what you posted so I could give a proper response that was in the proper context - and you're right, I don't know if it's the actual name of the game at all. Jesus Fucking H Christ, you drive me insane. Have they registered any other trademarks?

:flamesaw:

Quillon

Arcane
Before this storm of shit, Feargus striked me as a guy with good intentions who just liked being a boss/owning a game studio/control over people/making the rounds in the studio all day when he's not on the phone pitching games to publishers...since he became a producer very early in his career and done little else other than managing stuff/"producing" and he was a likable person through the interwebz with the help of "publishers screwing over Obs" talks all around the boards. That picture is broken to pieces now.

Chances are nothing will change at Obs upper management; as in no one will quit nor change positions nor Obs will get bought out so here's hoping they'll just stay out of real developers way and count their money silently in the corner.

Fabulously optimistic scenario is upper management's disappearing somehow with the rest of the studio intact :P

- Captain obvious reported.

Developer
Chris Avellone

Is josh's "FORM A UNION!!" stance recently have something to do to the general unpleasant work environment in obsidian.

Will unionization really help the generally industry-wide problems?

I'm not sure, and I don't know the reason for Josh's advocacy of a union on a personal level. What did surprise me, is aside from the other issues I raised, overworking and crunch time at Obsidian didn't seem to be a problem when I departed - if it is now, something must have changed for the worse, because overtime was never mandated (although people did work long hours).

Developer
Chris Avellone, do you miss your younger, somewhat optimistic about the industry self?

I used to ask my Dad if he missed being younger, and he said, "nope. I prefer the life lessons I have now, and I feel good being able to use them to make a better path."

I take that is remaining to be optimistic even with greater knowledge and experience. I worry that your question boils down to, "do you miss being naive?" If that's the question, then no. Especially for a writer, where you want to feel as much pain as you can for your craft.

Brother Rat

Novice
Chris Avellone, how many individual projects are you working on right now? Do you find it easier to juggle multiple projects as opposed to focusing on just one?

Big Wrangle

I take that is remaining to be optimistic even with greater knowledge and experience. I worry that your question boils down to, "do you miss being naive?" If that's the question, then no. Especially for a writer, where you want to feel as much pain as you can for your craft.
I mean the former, to make things more clear. Sorry about that.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Let's just keep Project Indiana out of this, shall we? If we're all itching so much for a new Tim&Leo game, what's the purpose of trying to damage their standing with Take2? You're also opening yourself up for a libel suit a size of Titanic. And you didn't actually work on Indiana, correct Chris? You have someone leaking you information, and if it's a small team that person will be identified swiftly.

This is bad sport and it's not good for anybody.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris Avellone

Is josh's "FORM A UNION!!" stance recently have something to do to the general unpleasant work environment in obsidian.

Will unionization really help the generally industry-wide problems?

I'm not sure, and I don't know the reason for Josh's advocacy of a union on a personal level. What did surprise me, is aside from the other issues I raised, overworking and crunch time at Obsidian didn't seem to be a problem when I departed - if it is now, something must have changed for the worse, because overtime was never mandated (although people did work long hours).

My hunch is that Josh Sawyer's interest in unionization and related topics is a consequence of his increasing political engagement following the 2016 US elections, and not related to Obsidian specifically.

Developer
My hunch is that Josh Sawyer's interest in unionization and related topics is a consequence of his increasing political engagement following the 2016 US elections, and not related to Obsidian specifically.

...but will directly affect Obsidian's business practices? I only bring it up b/c my natural reaction is that he must have advocated it based on being exposed to a bad practice, which I agree, isn't 100% always the case, he could be arguing for other developers - but if so, who? (I assumed Obsidian by default.)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris Avellone, do you miss your younger, somewhat optimistic about the industry self?

I used to ask my Dad if he missed being younger, and he said, "nope. I prefer the life lessons I have now, and I feel good being able to use them to make a better path."

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom