Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

If you like platformers, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is one of the best in recent memory. Play that if you haven't already.

deuxhero

Arcane
Splatoon was pretty good, but without online and without the controls working there's not much point. The Persona/Fire Emblem crossover is apparently not bad, but has a horrible reputation in Japan from being for from what anyone asked for and in the US from being one of the worst translations in video game history, so it's only worth a try if you can read Nipponese.

Yes, it's very much worth it. Retroarch's timing/sync method is peerless and if you're sensitive to issues like input delay (as I am) it's almost impossible to go back to other emulators (PCSX2 being the most egregious example). The shaders are also the best in the business.

There's an initial barrier to get yourself acquainted with the interface and how everything works, but it's blown out of proportion by a lot of people - it's not that hard if you can read.

Retroarch's PSX core (Beetle PSX) is extremely accurate. I'd recommend trying it with an open mind.

I recently spent a good long while getting Beetle PSX setup on one of my machines. Hours. Turns out the lookup it does for psx bios files are actually case-sensitive. Was a bit frustrating until this dawned on me, but overall I'd agree that it's a great emulator and it's convenient to have everything in one place.

Just curious, what do you generally use for shaders with PSX or even SNES/NES era stuff? I've never really dicked around with them- up until this point most of my retroarch time has been spent on my PS Vita, and older games look amazing there just with bilinear filtering and the vita's great OLED screen.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Speaking of retro arch 1.7.3 version got released:
https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-7-3-released/
The major highlight is a new gui,currently is it mostly just a library viewer,but they do mention it will get expanded through time.
MD.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Splatoo online is working on Cemu. I haven't read the FAQ but you can YouTube a video. Basically they got the friends app of Wii U working on Cemu, and Cemu users can use online functionality of certain games in "cross-play" with Wii U users.

lightbane

Arcane
Fuck Fatlus and their butthurt at emulation. Their fault for not translating their stuff into Spanish to get a wider market and/or not using marketing at all.

Hopefully this remake of Strange Journey is less grindy, or at least there are already codes to get infinite crafting materials.

lightbane

Arcane
I remember being it a bit finicky with getting the specific skills of a demon if you wanted to do good fusions, as well as having to use crafting materials that were somewhat expensive to acquire that required foreknowledge to get what you wanted, but perhaps I'm misremembering. As long as the awesome soundtrack and gameplay is kept, it's okay.

Nathir

Liturgist
That's true. Getting the skills and perfect demons you wanted required some effort, but that's how it should be imo. I liked that you needed to level up a demon for atleast a level if you wanted it's source. And that you couldn't control which skills were inherited. Makes for a better experience then just transfering whatever you want whenever you want in fusion. In SMT 4 for example demons felt very disposable to me. That's just my opinion though.

But as far as completing the game goes, it's very doable without any grinding and it really isn't that difficult imo. Although some of the maps can be really painful to get through.

deuxhero

Arcane
I stopped playing pretty late because there was no way for me to get a demon anywhere near my level that would inherit healing spells and so I was stuck without a fuck ton of grinding to fix that.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Considering the english version SMT:SJ Redux isn't even supposed to be out for at least another 10 days, that's definitely illegal.

Just curious, what do you generally use for shaders with PSX or even SNES/NES era stuff? I've never really dicked around with them- up until this point most of my retroarch time has been spent on my PS Vita, and older games look amazing there just with bilinear filtering and the vita's great OLED screen.

I turn off bilinear filtering and I really like the GTU-v50 shader (it's under the 'CRT' folder). It does a reasonable job of approximating a good CRT TV without the over-sharpening of many shaders. It also de-dithers quite respectably. The parameters are also easy to set and self-explanatory. I usually have to up the gamma a little as the default is too dark for my tastes.

For arcade games, I use CRT-Royale, which at 4k is a great simile of RGB arcade monitors that were in the player's face.

How do you setup the boxart/screenshots? I'm testing with PSX but no luck so far.

You have to download the thumbnails using Retroarch's "online updater" feature. Then you have to scan your content directory and hope it matches their checksum (doesn't work for everything but I've had reasonable success with the PSX database).

You can also edit everything by hand (it's all XML-based) but it's a pain in the ass, I've done it for some custom arcade playlists I've created but wouldn't do it again as it's too much work.

lighteningforce-quest1rril.jpg

One of the best shmups available for 16-bit home consoles. Perhaps the very best. It's a joy to play in Retroarch, the Genesis Plus GX core has a very accurate YM2612 audio core, a decent lowpass filter and there's next-frame latency now, so it's very responsive.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom