Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
lol I'm not sure who he's trying to fool. He can't seriously think that they're going to solve the FPS problem in the cities. Bigger environments with more actors will always cause framerate dips. Especially if you're running a shit engine.

Inspirer

Barely Literate
giphy.gif

PoE2 build for streamers communicates with Obsidian servers and Josh just modified stats of whoever killed Cohh to OP level so people would stop poking him with complaints about difficulty.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Why would you draw parallels from Earth's accents to fantasy ones geographically?
It's important accent usage is consistent in-universe, not it's relation to real places. Aedyr(Aloth) could have just as easily been Jamaican or Russian accents.

In general, yes.

But from what I've seen so far of Xoti, it's not just her accent that is Southern.

She speaks in terms of agricultural myths - reaping, harvesting, etc.
She takes a personal responsibility in the saving of souls.
She's written as a fairly naive young person who takes her faith seriously ("I read all the old scrolls...").
She's a follower of Eothas/Gaun - the god who was recently killed and brought back to life.

She belongs to the Children of the Dawnstars - If you changed their name to Southern Baptist both her accent and her religion/ideology would come from the American South/Southwest.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Why would you draw parallels from Earth's accents to fantasy ones geographically?
It's important accent usage is consistent in-universe, not it's relation to real places. Aedyr(Aloth) could have just as easily been Jamaican or Russian accents.

In general, yes.

But from what I've seen so far of Xoti, it's not just her accent that is Southern.

She's written as a fairly naive young person who takes her faith seriously ("I read all the old scrolls...").
She's a follower of Eothas/Gaun - the god who was recently killed and brought back to life.

She belongs to the Children of the Dawnstars - If you changed their name to Southern Baptist both her accent and her religion/ideology would come from the American South/Southwest.

Good analysis.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
edgy: i wish she had died in childbirth

actually, wait, no, that would mean poe2 was alive

edgy: i wish she had died during conception

tripedal

Augur
In general, yes.

Can you tell her the gods are fake? I imagine I'm going to run into a lot of roleplaying limitations wrt that...

Delterius

Arcane
In general, yes.

Can you tell her the gods are fake? I imagine I'm going to run into a lot of roleplaying limitations wrt that...
before or after the giant megazord appears

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Right. The gods aren't fake. They're real entities that shape the world. Better words might be artificial, manufactured, or man-made.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
They're supernatural entities with extraordinary powers. The inhabitants of Eora worship these entities as gods. Calling them "not gods" just doesn't make sense. If real world humans could create these beings, what would prevent us from calling them gods? That they're unnatural? They didn't create Eora, sure, but they certainly control it.

Star Trek has the crew meet a Greek God, Apollo, who was basically just an alien. The term god can be pretty loose.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
No divinity and no association with creation. We call them gods because they call themselves gods, and worship them because they desire worship. Whether you think they should still be called gods and worshipped depends upon the extent to which you believe power is its own justification.

Jezal_k23

Children can't choose their parents but I bet little Deadfire wishes she didn't have mother like her.

Ahh...if only Chris Avellone could have given birth to Deadfire...

It isn't grown up just yet. Baby needs a few years of patching before it's grown up (also POTD rebalance, and expansions).

Maybe also optimization. Baby needs to be optimized further.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pizzashoes

Scholar
They're man-made, hence by definition not supernatural.
Supernatural can mean relating to a god.

No divinity and no association with creation.
Divinity also relates (explicitly) to a god. The logic against calling the Eoran gods gods on those grounds is circular. Anyway, there's a lot of leeway on what constitutes a god. So much that whatever enough people call a god, might as well be a god. Calling them "not gods" only says they're not fundamental to the universe or they weren't involved in the creation of the world. But practically, these gods currently control the afterlife of the current inhabitants of the world. Just call them gods and move on. And my friend, power is always its own justification.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No divinity and no association with creation. We call them gods because they call themselves gods, and worship them because they desire worship. Whether you think they should still be called gods and worshipped depends upon the extent to which you believe power is its own justification.

Saying they have no divinity therefore they’re not gods is a tautology. As for creation, the Greek pantheon usurped the Titans, who actually created most of the world, and even after taking over Zeus had his tame Titans do most of the remaining construction. Yet we’d have no problem calling Zeus a god. The Norse pantheon, aside from Odin and his two brothers, hardly created jack shit, but Thor is most certainly a god.

And “might makes right” was the basic philosophy of every ancient pagan religion. Ancient peoples worshipped their gods out of fear. Needing to be loved is more of a modern monotheistic development.

They’re gods like the Olympians or the Aesir, not like Allah or Yahweh. What’s it matter if they were born from the souls of an entire human civilization rather than from the armpit sweat of a frost giant?

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I just looked up the difference between a tautology (a word I've never heard of) and circular logic, thanks to our colleague, Kyl Von Kull. Yes, the thing I was getting at was a tautology. The argument I defended against was they aren't divine/supernatural, therefore they are not gods. Gods, by definition, are divine/supernatural. So, when I say something is a god, just attacking my proposition by saying my gods are not divine/supernatural is not sufficient to deny their godhood. It's like if I said, this is a god, and you said this is not a god because this is not a god.

Anyway, the difference between the two is real but inapplicable for informal discussions. Just call them gods for fuck's sake. Use everyday language. Be a real human being.

We are gods!

Prime Junta

Sawyer: Give me your bike Frankie, it seems dangerously unbalanced.

Damn, it just occurred to me that one of the most time-consuming, even meditative things in bike maintenance is... balancing. The wheels, that is. You carefully tune the spokes until all wobble and throw are eliminated, and it is perfectly balanced.

:mindblown.gif:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kit changed to the Nihilus avatar anyway, just to make the MCA interview thread harder to follow.
But he changed to the version which has a nose showing under the mask. I was surprised this version is also available in the avatar gallery.

Twitcher 3 gave Irish accents to people who were clearly Norse-inspired.

Fantasy is dumb.
I should play Witcher 3 in English at least a little but Geralt's voice actor's faithful imitation of Batman is so lacking in originality that I always switch to French. Also, the irony of French Geralt being voiced by a black guy :)

She speaks in terms of agricultural myths - reaping, harvesting, etc
But will I get to reap her harvest? Plough the fields and all...

Saying they have no divinity therefore they’re not gods is a tautology. As for creation, the Greek pantheon usurped the Titans, who actually created most of the world, and even after taking over Zeus had his tame Titans do most of the remaining construction. Yet we’d have no problem calling Zeus a god. The Norse pantheon, aside from Odin and his two brothers, hardly created jack shit, but Thor is most certainly a god.

And “might makes right” was the basic philosophy of every ancient pagan religion. Ancient peoples worshipped their gods out of fear. Needing to be loved is more of a modern monotheistic development.

They’re gods like the Olympians or the Aesir, not like Allah or Yahweh. What’s it matter if they were born from the souls of an entire human civilization rather than from the armpit sweat of a frost giant?
This may be too common knowledge and stuff you already know, but for the younger readers:

One explanation I've read of the recurring motive in indo-european mythology of a group of younger gods revolting and overthrowing an older group, is that these myths are a retelling of a prehistoric tribal conflict in which the younger alpha male overthrows the reigning leader of the tribe.

Another interpretation is that the story of battle between old and young gods symbolizes man's first expression of pride of having mastered nature. The older group of gods are always shapeless, gigantic, and terrifying. They represent the forces of nature, on whose whims the first human tribes depended, were defenceless against, were unable to predict, anticipate, protect against, and hence strongly feared.

The younger gods are antropomorphic, and carry many human features of character and appearance. They reflect the aestethic views and moral coordinate system of men. They are definetly the later concept of the two. Their having "professions", and the fact that in the myths they push back, defeat or subdue the primal gods, represents man's gradual transfer from hunter-gatherer to settled life, with accumulating knowledge of the same activities which are the god's professions - agriculture, smithing, wine producing, herding, etc.

Note that the primal gods are not extinct - time and death are still a reality, hence Kronos and Thanatos remain alive, they are merely cast away and lack the power they used to have.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Kit changed to the Nihilus avatar anyway, just to make the MCA interview thread harder to follow.
But he changed to the version which has a nose showing under the mask. I was surprised this version is also available in the avatar gallery.

Balance. If they allow the no-nose version which Avellone prefers, they must also allow the nosed version that he hates. :P

:balance:

Mazisky

Magister
When the game is released i will rush to Neketaka so see if performance is still shit and i'll post here.

Elex

Arbiter
I just looked up the difference between a tautology (a word I've never heard of) and circular logic, thanks to our colleague, Kyl Von Kull. Yes, the thing I was getting at was a tautology. The argument I defended against was they aren't divine/supernatural, therefore they are not gods. Gods, by definition, are divine/supernatural. So, when I say something is a god, just attacking my proposition by saying my gods are not divine/supernatural is not sufficient to deny their godhood. It's like if I said, this is a god, and you said this is not a god because this is not a god.

Anyway, the difference between the two is real but inapplicable for informal discussions. Just call them gods for fuck's sake. Use everyday language. Be a real human being.

We are gods!
what is the definition of god?

Parabalus

Arcane
I wrapped up my PoE1 run and decided to betray all 5 gods, I wonder whether there will be any tangible repercussions in Deadfire. Dyrford getting mauled in the epilogue seemingly means little since you wave it goodbye.

Skaen's reaction, him getting also getting butthurt at you for betraying the Gods (him), is kinda ironic, considering his portfolio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom