Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
PoE 2 = FF15 !?!?!?!
FFXV-Cindy.png

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Apparently there are Texans in game. For reasons unknown Eothas is god of the south, even if Magran is much more about arming bears.

I mean seriously, VO is one thing. But who had a twisted idea to actually use southern accents in a fantasy RPG that happens on tropical islands?

I guess their line of thinking was: 'Hey, tropical islands are south of equator right?Yep. Do you know anyone who lives south of equator? No. Ok, do you know anyone who lives in south? Well I am from Texas. Great, close enough, call some of your relatives to do VO an we'll pay them in corn and Sawyer will fix their bikes for free. But they're not proffesionals and may not do the most stellar job plus isn't that nepotism? Phhh, we are all here one big (Feargus') family, just invite them over. Ok I guess, I'll call my cousins from aunt's side: Bee, Beau, Bettina, Delilah, Frankie, Francis and Finch. Wew, you have a lot of cousins. That's only from one aunt's side there are also Georgina, Glory, Grey, Julia, Jones, James, Josephine and Pepper from second aunt. Ok, invite them all and I'm off to buy corn and tell Josh that bug fixing takes back sit and bike fixing we'll be his job for next month. '

Sawyer: Give me your bike Frankie, it seems dangerously unbalanced.
:whatisfun:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Agents Obsidian used to hunt best voice acting talents south of Mississipi river making Deadfire the best voice acted RPG in states of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina. You RPG fellows will be happy as dead pig in sunshine when you hear VOs and Feargus will get enough money to burn a wet mule once the sales figure start commin.

duck.jpg

Fry

Arcane
Apparently there are Texans in game. For reasons unknown Eothas is god of the south, even if Magran is much more about arming bears.

I mean seriously, VO is one thing. But who had a twisted idea to actually use southern accents in a fantasy RPG that happens on tropical islands?

But northern English and cockney accents make more sense for some reason?

Choice of accent in a fantasy game is completely arbitrary. The fact you're used to hearing accents from LotR and Game of Thrones doesn't make them more legitimate.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
But what we've heard before does establish legitimacy. English or Midwest American accents are the norm for fantasy. I'm not saying getting a Texan accent in there is wrong, though. It should serve the purpose of making the islanders more exotic.

Fry

Arcane
Twitcher 3 gave Irish accents to people who were clearly Norse-inspired.

Fantasy is dumb.

Parabalus

Arcane
Why would you draw parallels from Earth's accents to fantasy ones geographically?
It's important accent usage is consistent in-universe, not it's relation to real places. Aedyr(Aloth) could have just as easily been Jamaican or Russian accents.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
You draw parallels because the audience already has ideas of how things should go. The audience hears Aloth's accent and expects him to be prim and proper. He is our introduction to Aedyran culture. A Jamaican accent in that situation would be off-putting. Maybe utilizing such an accent could (and will) normalize our notions of what a sophisticated fantasy character should sound like, in the name of social justice, but the culture warriors haven't gotten there yet.

2house2fly

Magister
Why would you draw parallels from Earth's accents to fantasy ones geographically?
It's important accent usage is consistent in-universe, not it's relation to real places. Aedyr(Aloth) could have just as easily been Jamaican or Russian accents.
Yes, of course they could. Just like the Skellige people in Witcher have Irish accents rather than Norse, even though they'd probably have got more Skyrim Points if they used Norse accents there

Parabalus

Arcane
You draw parallels because the audience already has ideas of how things should go. The audience hears Aloth's accent and expects him to be prim and proper. He is our introduction to Aedyran culture. A Jamaican accent in that situation would be off-putting. Maybe having one could (and will) be used to normalize our notions of what a sophisticated fantasy character should sound like, in the name of social justice.

They expect that because here British=prim and proper stereotype. Eora isn't Earth - they can have Jamaican=prim and proper, why not? It would even fall under that subversion Obs is famed for.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You draw parallels because the audience already has ideas of how things should go.
Fuck the audience and their preconceptions in this regard. That's not an argument. That may explain why people are whining about it on a knee-jerk emotional level, but it doesn't actually defend the idea of it being an issue.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You draw parallels because the audience already has ideas of how things should go. The audience hears Aloth's accent and expects him to be prim and proper. He is our introduction to Aedyran culture. A Jamaican accent in that situation would be off-putting. Maybe having one could (and will) be used to normalize our notions of what a sophisticated fantasy character should sound like, in the name of social justice.

They expect that because here British=prim and proper stereotype. Eora isn't Earth - they can have Jamaican=prim and proper, why not? It would even fall under that subversion Obs is famed for.
Because it is shit. Eora isn't Earth but the money are coming from Earth. Subconsciously people connect jamaican accent with something very different from Aloth. You can scream "stereotype" as much as you want,it won't make it less offputting. It seems that this will be my first solo game.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
The only argument I'm making is if you want your audience to slide into the story smoothly, you go along with the conventions. If you want to challenge the established norms, do whatever you want. But if everything breaks conventions, the whole thing will feel alien and crazy, so you better have some good reasons.

I'm all for giving the islanders Texan accents, anyway. It's something that differentiates them from the mainlanders. I like southerners' drawl, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom