Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

2house2fly

Magister
No, he doesn't consider them balanced enough

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been lurking on the forum for over 20 years, but thought I'd sign up to at least be given the cuck tag. I was one of the dumbfuck's that backed Obsidian at the $1000 tier. The thought of Tim Cain and Chris Avellone working together got my balls all tingley - as well as getting the rest of the band back together. Then I found out MCA just did a few companions, and I didn't even play up to the stronghold that Tim Cain worked on.

Did management actually think that fans who had been exposed to Tim Cain's work from Fallout 2, to Arcanum and Bloodlines and the best of Chris Avellone's work would all embrace 3 writer's whose writing and tone they had never been exposed to before?. I'm willing to bet there isn't a single paragraph of wrinting in POE that matches this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn-O1HmlvgI

Now I find out that my money probably went to buying Feargus Urquhart's wife a giant dildo to sit on all day and pay his kid's a salary to convert Obsidian into a bouncy castle/daycare centre...along with all the other shit that goes along with the 80% of the incompetant fuck's in a company getting power over the 20% of talent that actually turn a profit, make it work, and give it a reputation. Although in this case it sounds worse, and I expect the ration was probably less than 20%.

The Codex needs to make a unique set of tag's for all us who backed over $25. We deserve it.

Having said that...if the band ever does properly get back together, I'll be waiting. Except for Sawyer - I could be wrong, but that guy's got autistic psycopath written all over him. Like when you were a kid and you accepted an invite back to the house of the kid nobody liked -because you were a good christian boy- and when you played an otherwise fun game of some kind, he tried to hack you to death for getting the rules wrong...

2house2fly

Magister
New vegas is great.
Ironically the creative differences between the main game and DLCs make me enjoy it more. The Mojave is a fairly low-fantasy setting where normal people subsist amid great powers whose blindly groping tentacles disrupt everyday life and may change it forever, with the Courier uniquely placed to move between the lower world of the common man and the higher world of the great leaders. The DLCs take place in high-fantasy settings where colourful amoral characters use wild technology for devastating purposes and you battle them for ideological control of the future. I find that the otherworldly and hostile nature of these settings reinforces the feeling of the Mojave as home, it's where you come back to after these great adventures

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Max Edge

Guys do you realize how fucking nerdy we are to discuss those people ?
I can only imagine if this thread is used as evidence down the road.

To Californian court?
Who knows. They will have to wade through Blaine's inconceivable memes, spinning "wtf am I reading" .gifs, Capitalism v. Communism debates, Sawyer, wannabe internet detectives, and newfags.

So they should hire some of us to read this crap.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
opposite approaches to team hierarchies and management
Sawyer seems like someone in favor of clear hierarchies to me.

MCA seems like Mr. Empathy; Sawyer is Mr. Autism. Makes sense that they wouldn’t exactly love each other. Josh needs no clearly defined hierarchies because they’re already crystal clear in his robobrain.

The only time I’ve seen Sawyer express an emotion was a hint of exasperation when he answered Infinitron’s question on one of the recent Deadfire streams, but you’re the expert.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, Sawyer and Avellone are mutually not following each other on Twitter. Considering Avellone does follow other developers currently working at Obsidian (i.e. Mikey Dowling), that's probably a good indication of how things stand between them.

67321dd4ee.png

aratuk

Cipher
My guess is that while Avellone might not be fond of Sawyer, Sawyer hasn’t done anything (actionably) wrong, nor was he ever in a position to.

:littlemissfun:

So, Sawyer simply doesnt bear mentioning here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My guess is that while Avellone might not be fond of Sawyer, Sawyer hasn’t done anything (actionably) wrong, nor was he ever in a position to.
He's definitely mad about how the Durance/GM cuts were handled, and JES played a part in that.

Additionally, there's a certain tinge of disappointment with regard to how Project Eternity morphed from a BG/IWD/PST successor to an IWD successor with some superficial BG-like elements (e.g. that crack about how they're making BG-like games yet disregarding everything Bioware did)

Just finished reading the thread. What a ride.

Chris Avellone, I wish you the best in the future, you seem level headed, practical and another victim of corporate incompetence that's prevalent in the West by a big margin. I know because I am at the heart of it. I have come to the conclusion and agreement that this was definitely a targeted attack against you and what you represent as a whole in the video game space and RPGs as a whole, they definitely wanted to keep you on a leash out of fear that you might create competition and eventually surpass them. Trying to keep you from making/writing/working on (future)RPGs forever is sinister, there is no other way to describe it. Which is something that I hope you would ultimately do, I want to see something fully realized with you at the helm.

I am glad and support the Codex for being an open discussion forum and free speech, but if there is one thing I cannot support, especially coming from a country that once was ruled by such ideology, is communism. The people that advocate such ideology, either culturally or economically deserves all the evil in the world, and I do not say such thing lightly.

7qgBgn.png

Max Edge

Additionally, there's a certain tinge of disappointment with regard to how Project Eternity morphed from a BG/IWD/PST successor to an IWD successor with some superficial BG-like elements (e.g. that crack about how they're making BG-like games yet disregarding everything Bioware did)

Hey! That's a brilliant summary of PoE.

Just finished reading the thread. What a ride.

I am glad and support the Codex for being an open discussion forum and free speech, but if there is one thing I cannot support, especially coming from a country that once was ruled by such ideology, is communism. The people that advocate such ideology, either culturally or economically deserves all the evil in the world, and I do not say such thing lightly.

Very mature answer like on Codex standards.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Hey! That's a brilliant summary of PoE.

I've been at this for some time. From 2015:
So when's some autist going to sue Obsidian for pulling a bait and switch? Promise Avellone, then ignore his advice, par down his characters and give them to other people, and let the draft of his novella gather dust. Promise a BG/IWD/PST successor and then deliver a IWD2 successor with some superficial BG trappings.

Max Edge

So when's some autist going to sue Obsidian for pulling a bait and switch? Promise Avellone, then ignore his advice, par down his characters and give them to other people, and let the draft of his novella gather dust. Promise a BG/IWD/PST successor and then deliver a IWD2 successor with some superficial BG trappings.

In my language there is the phrase "Cry in the wilderness". It means "situation when nobody hear truth".

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Stop comparing Commies to modern soy addled neo liberals. It does not help the discussion.
Commies are worse than SJWs and Nazis.

:excellent:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom