Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
At this point I agree 100% with toro. Although, toro, he did *not* sign the NDA.

If I had signed the first de-ownering contract, however, with the non-competes, the problem would be that Tyranny would actually be the only RPG option I would have to work on (and any other Obsidian-sponsored RPGs they chose to exclude from the de-ownering agreement), so rather than being an olive branch, it was more, “here’s how we own you twice, still get you to write as always, but at a fraction of the cost.”

This implies that he signed a "second" de-ownering contract. Am I losing my mind?

He's probably referring to the "Oh, so you aren't signing? Fuck right off then." documents he signed to actually legally sever his ties with the company, which in all likelihood lead to his de-ownering without receiving a dime.

Bohr

Arcane
This implies that he signed a "second" de-ownering contract. Am I losing my mind?

Through the thread he's maintained that he didn't sign anything which restricted his ability to talk about Obsidian or his departure, which meant he left cash on the table. There would obviously have been some formal separation when he left, but according to his account he left with practically nothing.

Mustawd

The only information we actually have is that owners wife is on the books doing some shit that's probably useless.

MCA said he could never verify that she actually did anything. Also Feargus wanted to put his young children on the payroll even though they are not of legal age.

Shit like that is extremely common

The above is not common.

if you think 30 armored squads are about to start busting down doors at Obsidian because some of the owners have hired their wives, you need to lay of Mountain Dew.

No one is saying that. In fact, go back a few pages and I said that bester’s attempt is futile because the IRS isn’t going to investigate based on a forum post.

What we have been discussing now are the possible avenues of where Chris could go if he thought something illegal was happening. Of course it’s just conjecture. What else would it be?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
giphy.gif

m_s0

Arcane
More information: The de-ownering separation contract I was given was pretty strict (which again is good business, especially if you’re pretty sure the person is going to have to sign).

Among the first elements I objected to was that the contract had a “you must sign this in 10 days or else you get nothing.”

For the record for any other employees in this situation (at least in California), this is something you can absolutely fight back on, so do check with your lawyer.

To be fair, they were pushing for a swift resolution along with the NDA, which again is good business - and according to discussions after the departure, that clause seemed to have worked with other employees who didn’t check (they were in similar financial situations, though).

What was troublesome was the fact the NDA wasn’t mutual despite the mutual separation agreement (they could say whatever they wanted, but I would have no legal recourse – not only about that, but anything), which understandably, made me uncomfortable.

Again, that’s good business if you can get someone to sign that. I did argue that a mutual separation agreement should, in fact, be mutual.

As I said, the 10 days or else did turn out not to be legally binding when confronted on and may have been dropped, but that was the specs of the contract I was hit with, and another reason I didn’t sign it. (The medical insurance time limits I couldn’t do anything about.)

I don’t recall much about the Tyranny contract offer because I didn’t want to work on it based on what was going on, and arguably, I was too focused on the primary contract.

If I had signed the first de-ownering contract, however, with the non-competes, the problem would be that Tyranny would actually be the only RPG option I would have to work on (and any other Obsidian-sponsored RPGs they chose to exclude from the de-ownering agreement), so rather than being an olive branch, it was more, “here’s how we own you twice, still get you to write as always, but at a fraction of the cost.”
I'm curious: how does (let's say) current Obsidian compare with late era Interplay in regard to project management (cancellations etc. resulting from Interplay's financial situation aside) and employee treatment?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No wonder the situation blew up: Chris Avellone is a lawful good paladin, while Feargus is a poorly optimized chaotic evil wizard with maybe 12 intelligence (if we’re being generous). Perhaps neutral evil? These contracts certainly reek of Baatezu, but I can’t imagine a true denizen of Baator would be so terrible at managing the company finances.

FEAR-GUS ORC-HEART:

lvl 7 half-orc wizard

STR: 11
CON: 12
DEX: 8
INT: 11
WIS: 9
CHR: 7

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Contract a lawyer and find out what you can tell us without endangering your returns from Obsidian!!

He already said he has enough money for 200 years. He doesn't seem interested in extracting money out of them.

I know the idea of someone acting out of something else than a profit motive is inconceivable to Americans, but we may have such a case on our hands here.

m_s0

Arcane
Also, wth is wrong with all of you people??!!!

This is Chris Fracking Avellone we are talking about. How can we simply dissect disinterestedly what happened to him page after page?

Chris Avellone

Also, for heaven's sake, please protect your rights!!! Contract a lawyer and find out what you can tell us without endangering your returns from Obsidian!!
I think he's just confident enough in his professional standing to air all of this. If he is indeed in such a position, I'm very glad, and I envy him.

This (any, actually) industry really needs this crap out in the open - just to spread the good business around a bit.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Contract a lawyer and find out what you can tell us without endangering your returns from Obsidian!!

He already said he has enough money for 200 years. He doesn't seem interested in extracting money out of them.

I know the idea of someone acting out of something else than a profit motive is inconceivable to Americans, but we may have such a case on our hands here.

Stop being obtuse. Some communist you are that allows the labourer to be divested from his labour's worth.
закрой рот сука

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At this point I agree 100% with toro. Although, toro, he did *not* sign the NDA.

Dude, the other contract he’s distinguishing this one from is the Tyranny contract he mentions in the preceding paragraph. Please be more careful with your MCA exegesis.

Delterius

Arcane

Stop being obtuse. Some communist you are that allows the labourer to be divested from his labour's worth.
Joke's on you. The money involved in this equation comes from ownership royalties. Therefore its a matter between the bourgeois.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
K

I'm just gonna stick to lurking instead.
Don't,we need stupid posters to remind us how superior we are.
Don't we have you for that? :?
I really want to come back at you with some witty retort....but my soul is crushed by the fact that i spend 10 euro and three hours of my life watching the nu 'vengers: Infinite vomit.Only worst thing than the movie's writing was the music. Please excuse me while i go and cry in the corner.
:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I doubt Obsidian will respond online, as that will only cause more attention to the issue, but I will be curious if Chris gets a letter in the mail soon.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I doubt Obsidian will respond online, as that will only cause more attention to the issue, but I will be curious if Chris gets a letter in the mail soon.

Probably. Legal threats are cheap and often effective.

But does Obsidian have the money to pay a lawyer to draft up something? At this point of Deadfire development they are probably already running out of rats to eat.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

But does Obsidian have the money to pay a lawyer to draft up something? At this point of Deadfire development they are probably already running out of rats to eat.
They may be cash strapped now, but I would expect Deadfire to sell enough on May 8 to provide some spare cash. Plus, depending on how their counsel bills, they may have some additional to make the payments.

2house2fly

Magister
Chris Avellone is Infinitron on Obsidian's payroll too?
Wow, didn't know Feargus has son who works for Israeli Defence Force, wrote Tyranny and is mod on RPG Codex while only being 10 year old!

That's why Avellone has been teasing him entire thread, cause he knows him from Obsidian but won't go too hard on him cause he's well, 10 year old and sins of father are not passed on son. Money is though...

My role at Obsidian is "that RPG Codex dude who sends passive-aggressive shitposts to Josh Sawyer's Tumblr Q&A at least three times a week, trolls on Pillars of Eternity Twitch chats, tries to insert inappropriate memes as Kickstarter backer content, and stirs up drama on the forums every chance he gets"
It was funny when I realised that guy who keeps sending Sawyer openly hostile questions was you, considering your forum reputation as an Obsidian bootlicker

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Chris Avellone is Infinitron on Obsidian's payroll too?
Wow, didn't know Feargus has son who works for Israeli Defence Force, wrote Tyranny and is mod on RPG Codex while only being 10 year old!

That's why Avellone has been teasing him entire thread, cause he knows him from Obsidian but won't go too hard on him cause he's well, 10 year old and sins of father are not passed on son. Money is though...

My role at Obsidian is "that RPG Codex dude who sends passive-aggressive shitposts to Josh Sawyer's Tumblr Q&A at least three times a week, trolls on Pillars of Eternity Twitch chats, tries to insert inappropriate memes as Kickstarter backer content, and stirs up drama on the forums every chance he gets"
It was funny when I realised that guy who keeps sending Sawyer openly hostile questions was you, considering your forum reputation as an Obsidian bootlicker
Infinitron has been playing the long game all along.

Fry

Arcane
Also, wth is wrong with all of you people??!!!

This is Chris Fracking Avellone we are talking about. How can we simply dissect disinterestedly what happened to him page after page?

Chris Avellone

Also, for heaven's sake, please protect your rights!!! Contract a lawyer and find out what you can tell us without endangering your returns from Obsidian!!

If you're going to be a bootlicker, at least change your avatar.

Prime Junta

They may be cash strapped now, but I would expect Deadfire to sell enough on May 8 to provide some spare cash. Plus, depending on how their counsel bills, they may have some additional to make the payments.

Maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling a standard-issue nastygram might not do much to dissuade him.

The Codex, of course, is in Australia, so that would be even harder to sue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom