Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

After ages I finally found the time for some vidya and finished arc 2 (vnr makes everything x10 slower).

That was some :obviously: ending.

Many great feels:
The moment the game switches from "You"/El back to Rance with My glorious Days playing was great.

Rance asking "Have I actually fucked a dragon/hanny?"

OP Human (Level 400) Rance casually killing that first class devil like he just stepped in a bug.

Liked the end fight, even if the boss ends up being a pushover (but when your party is made of level 200+ people, including NotJesus and Ultimate Rance there is virtually nothing in the world that can stop them).

And of course coolest girl is 2cool2die :cool:
I was fully spoiled, but didn't expect Crook's endgame.

I understand that she used her wish to have an audience with Ludo and then convinced him to incarnate as a mortal, but does El switch forms or does El live independently from Ludo? In the end you can see Crook talking with Ludo about his next adventure, not El.

And I suppose that she didn't tell DK Rance about Sill being alive on purpose, to keep the fun going just long enough.

The fact that "Anata / "You" is used when dealing with both Ludo and El is an obvious 4th wall thing right?
WE WAZ WHALES AND SHIT

Jason Liang

Arcane
After ages I finally found the time for some vidya and finished arc 2 (vnr makes everything x10 slower).

That was some :obviously: ending.

Many great feels:
My favorite arc 2 moments
- Arc 2 really got to me in chapter (4?), when you visit JAPAN and see Kouhime grown up. I hadn't been spoiled by any of the Arc 2 MILF images, so seeing her grow up to be this beautiful, regal woman after the shit that was done to her in Sengoku Rance moved me more than any other video game story since... ever. Even more than Phantasy Star IV or FFVIII.
- That ending movie, when it got to Sengoku Rance and the Sengoku Rance theme starts playing. It's crazy powerful since I was already on the verge of tears from hearing the Rance VI theme, so that SR theme really broke the dam. The memories. Bravo to AliceSoft for refraining from using that refrain until the perfect moment. I'm a sucker for video game music medleys (check my sig)
- While the Memories of Blood battle was as you say a pushover, it was cool as fuck. Of course, when you try that fight on hard mode, it's epic instead of a pushover:D
- Chaos finally defeating the Demon Kings and saving Rance is ultimate redemption. Especially when Rance becomes DK, Chaos is probably as low as he's ever been when he appears in the Toushin tournament
- Arc 1 was anti- fanservice, while Arc 2 was complete fanservice, and Arc 2 was ultimate fanservice for Shizuka fans. You find out that Nagi is not just her sister but also her daughter with Rance, and she sacrifices her body to save the kids from being brutalized by their father (Shizuka now playing the maternal role). If you are a non-Shizukafag it sucks, but if you are a Shizukafag like me it feels good that she got a bigger role and had her character epilogue saved for the last act.
- Crook explaining what happened to Sill totally made complete sense! Feels good that TADA and co had the endgame all worked out all the way back to Rance 9.

I was fully spoiled, but didn't expect Crook's endgame.

And I suppose that she didn't tell DK Rance about Sill being alive on purpose, to keep the fun going just long enough.
Remember that Crook couldn't have predicted Quelplan sucking the DK blood out of Rance, so revealing Sill really didn't solve anything on its own. For a while, Rance seemed to be the best host for the DK blood, until it was apparent that Rance was on the brink of permanently losing control to the blood. Sill was her final play.

Also, remember that Crook is an autistic pyromaniac. She does cold, fucked up things. There's a bit of Rei Ayanami in her character design.

Speaking of music, searching for "Rance" on xiami ended up finding these:

14995324411399532441.jpg@4e_1c_100Q_185w_185h

https://www.xiami.com/album/m8oRHH7eec7?spm=a1z1s.3521865.23309997.24.2ybki6
But none of the tracks are available:(

These have tracks though -

Shade's page on xiami (if any of the links are broken you can still get the songs from here)
https://www.xiami.com/artist/wZSDMM9d8ab?spm=a1z1s.6659513.6856585.1.yCY0lV

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
These links don't work.

Also, I think I'll re-read the Rance LPs here, play the 5th and 6th ones, and perhaps the Sengoku again, I forgot if I completed the last one or read the lp here only.
By then the following games will be translated already, hopefully. In less than three decades, right?

Jason Liang

Arcane
The links work for me so if they don't work for other people, I'm not sure if it's a firewall/ ip address issue or if it's a cookie issue. Just hit the headphone button next to the track you want to hear and an audio manager should pop out in a new tab.

xiami.png

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Biscuitta not in the top 50 is probably the biggest surprise for me. La Vaswald #50 when she isn't even in the game... Cessna got patched in and still placed #28. Other suprising omissions - Hunty, Full Kalar, and Annise. Aegis as well, since I expected her to have more popularity carry over from RQ.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I didnt felt like sizuka was too relevant, in arc 2 nagi kept distracting me with her melons. How isnt she in top 10?
You could only vote for 1. Most people who would have voted for Nagi probably voted for Shizuka instead. Also, the last time Shizuka went head to head with Reset (in the Rance Quest poll) Reset won, so that probably activated and consolidated the Shizuka voter base this time around.

Nagi did well enough. No shame in finishing 1 spot behind Pastel, when Pastel's H scene was incredibly fappable.

For those not on haniho, here's a comparison table between the haniho poll results and the Japanese official poll results. The haniho poll was multi-vote 10 girls ranked. The Japanese poll therefore favors polarizing characters like Sill and Hornet. But also keep in mind that the Japanese voters are the ones that can actually read more than 60% of the text...:

Last edited:

dark knight

Literate
I am really obsessed with knowing what crook wished for. Unforunately i can not understand japanese, any help?

Last edited:
I am really obsessed with knowing what crook wished for. Unforunately i can not understand japanese, any help?

Supposing you beat arc 2

I don't think it's especifically metioned, but she essentially used it to have an audience with Ludo-Rathwon (the Creator God) and convinced him that the world would be more fun if he lived it as a mortal. El Mofus (the MC of Arc 2) is essentially Not-Jesus (and iirc is also supposed to be the RL player).

Is likelly that Crook has been playing with everyone (Mankind, Gods, Majin and Rance) as a way of dealing with the Ludo issue.

Last edited:
Supposing you beat arc 2

I don't think it's especifically metioned, but she essentially used it to have an audience with Ludo-Rathwon (the Creator God) and convinced him that the world would be more fun if he lived it as a mortal. El Mofus (the MC of Arc 2) is essentially Not-Jesus (and iirc is also supposed to be the RL player).

Is likelly that Crook has been playing with everyone (Mankind, Gods, Majin and Rance) as a way of dealing with the Ludo issue.

If this is right then does this mean that:

Crook did what Amu failed to set out to accomplish in Rance Quest Magnum? Amu wanted to break the cycle of Ludo Rathowm and Crook did the job for her? Crook basically had the same idea as Amu but planned it out long term and without so many casualties like Amu's plan would have caused? Is this interpretation correct? And if so and Ludo Rathowm turned into a mere human, what happened to the Giant Whale holding up the Rance World intact? Since this is not a planet but it relies on the body of Ludo Rathowm to maintain its existence what happens to that "foundation" when the whale is transformed into a human? Nothing would be holding up the world then, was that ever explained?
Is not that Ludo transforms, El is not exactly Ludo, but more an avatar or alterego, or maybe just his Player Character (Ludo is probably dormant during this time). At the very end of the game Crook is talking to regular Ludo and telling him some ideas for his next great adventure. Ludo is overall dormant and I think most of reincarnation system goes through Quelplan. The point of Arc 2 seems to be about Ludo learning to be a mortal, making friends and understanding the value of life and so on

Quelplan does turn into a mortal, and Ludo being dormant seems to weaken all the divine related stuff. Most "clerics" cannot cast any regular divine magic like healing, El being the obvious exception. Furthermore devils are messing around since the angels have more trouble keeping them in check. But by the end game a Level 400 Rance and the Rancespawn can easily counter any remaining threat to the world.

But overall I'm not sure if Ludo just switches perspectives, or he is more like a real life human player being aware of all the actions of the PC, while the later is not aware of the former. Crook seems to adress Ludo with a clear "You" that seems like she is breaking the 4th wall.

Is also funny that there are a bunch of theories floating arounds, from the crazy to the more serious:
  • Ludo being actually us, the players
  • Sill being somewhat related to Quelplan, maybe some kind of alter ego (the clothes she wears as a mortal, or both being "inactive" at the same time, or Sill just dissapearing in the last slide with Rance's soul) personnaly I think it's bollocks. Quelplan is obviouslly the real identity of Pink Mask.

And I suppose Alicesoft plans to revisit the setting, maybe with a Toushin Toushi sequel/remake.

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
On turn 8 of my first run, got my favorite CG yet.

rx_007.png

Patton ex machina (more like Hunty ex machina)

I have a question about the vnd capture software. Does it capture the Kanji text allowing you to copy paste it to Google translate or is it just a forcible machine translation of English?
I'm looking for a software to just paste the original Japanese so I can copy it myself. Trying to handwrite unfamiliar Kanji online to figure out the right one is too time consuming, is there some way to copy out the Japanese (NOT translate only put it in a text format you can copy and paste on Word for example).

I also went on /haniho/ and couldn't find any translation of Part 2 did they delete it? http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/215273134/haniho-alicesoftrance-general

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom