Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Ocelot

Learned
2K13-Apr-4-Garrett-1.1365002331.JPG
:timetoburn:

This could have worked if this new thief was a brand new character instead of Garett. The way new Garett plays and looks like is a 180 degree turn from the old Garett. Using one of the least edgy protagonists ever for a fast-paced, edgier iteration of Thief is dumb af. /offtopic

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Eidos Montreal helped Open Bionics get off the ground by pairing it with the Deus Ex name two years ago, spiking their investors.

This has given a 10 year old who lost both her hands to meningitis - two bionic replacements. :cool:

:love:

Ash

Arcane
If not the first with GMDX, then the first without it. Eidos Montreal's Deus Ex games are OK but somewhat compromised, contrived and miss the point.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'd say all of them are worth playing, just play DX1 vanilla first and mod it later.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
If not the first with GMDX, then the first without it. Eidos Montreal's Deus Ex's are OK but somewhat compromised, contrived and miss the point.
Always bugged me how the level aesthetic in MK was presented like one entity obsessed with black hexagons had a monopoly on interior design, everywhere on the planet lol. Really neutered the globetrotting scope the story wanted to convey. (maybe that's the conspiracy they want to unveil in a potential reboot :lol:)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah, just wait for next decade.
But seriously the series is on hiatus, you probably aren't going to see anything for 5 years, maybe more. They ruined MD themselves and only the developers got punished for it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am replaying Dues Ex now with Ash's mod and having a blast. Must say that it is really creepy to see how accurate the game is compared to today. Another thing that i noticed is that with time i do change my final option,as a kid i became a divine AI,when i grew up a little i found out that it is stupid and i became an Illuminate,now just let me burn the world. I just gloat at the thought of seeing all the youtubers and journos dying from starvation. :lol:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I am replaying Dues Ex now with Ash's mod and having a blast. Must say that it is really creepy to see how accurate the game is compared to today. Another thing that i noticed is that with time i do change my final option,as a kid i became a divine AI,when i grew up a little i found out that it is stupid and i became an Illuminate,now just let me burn the world. I just gloat at the thought of seeing all the youtubers and journos dying from starvation. :lol:
I always took the Tong 'New Dark Age' ending as a youngling. Not because of the promised equality and self-determination, but because I wanted to be the only guy with super powers.

Today I'd think about joining the Iluminati instead, but I still would never, ever join the AI.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I would give an arm and a leg for a new Deus Ex game.

In fact, I'm going to purposefully lose my limbs, manipulate Open Bionics to put me first in the list for robotic limb replacements, then go viral with a publicity tour under the "Deus Ex Universe" brand and give it good PR again, allowing Eidos Montreal to reveal Deus Ex: Technological Liberation (alongside its day-one GEP Gun DLC).

:neveraskedforthis:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Here code from Humble for DE: MD, hope the Giftstravaganza sharks wouldn't find it here:

GK06M-IHB63-EMHT9
I wouldn't really suggest giving codes away like that in just text. Ask someone to PM you first or something.
On that note, I still have a key for Shadowrun: Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut. PM me if you want it.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's too much hassle with PMs. Fabulously Optimistic Indeed.

LESS T_T got it, so success as he is not regular there I think. Are you running scripts or smth? You are on top of things on codex a lot. :mrpresident:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.pcgamesn.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided/eidos-montreal-deus-ex-5

“Deus Ex is not dead. I confirm that.”

Deus Ex studio Eidos Montreal currently have their hands full with Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the upcoming Avengers Project, but once these projects are complete it’s been suggested that they are likely to return to the cyberpunk series that made them famous.

We talked with Eidos Montreal studio head David Anfossi about the next Tomb Raider game, and during our time with him we asked about the status of Deus Ex. His reply was adamant - “Deus Ex is not dead, I confirm that.”

Don’t expect Deus Ex 5 any time soon however, as for the moment they have too much on their plate. “Deus Ex, of course, it's the brand of the studio. We are all attached to this franchise, but we cannot do everything, you know? So we have Shadow of the Tomb Raider, we have this co-development with Crystal [Dynamics] on The Avengers, and we have a third game in development, so it's enough at the moment for us.”

This third game previously has been rumoured as another game in Square Enix’s Marvel partnership, based on the Guardians of the Galaxy. One thing it will not be, however, is a new Thief game. Anfossi has previously quashed rumours of Thief 5, and made it clear to us again that, currently, the studio has no plan for it.

“So I should be clear with Thief, in the sense that for the moment there is no plans around that franchise. You know we have three productions and developments here. We are a big studio, but we have… we like to focus on things we do and do it correctly. We’ve proven it, I believe. So for Thief there is no plan.”

We also asked Anfossi about the rumours that Eidos Montreal had been working on a Final Fantasy game that got cancelled, and you can read his response here.

And Edios head musing about the future of single-player games: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ave-to-try-new-models-for-single-player-games

[...]

"That being said, I believe that the story-driven experience is going through a generational change. Especially for people like me, the old guys... people who are 25 or older. Looking at God of War, that's a pretty good example of a great single-player experience. I like it a lot, but I might not get the time to complete it. For me, that's a frustration. Because when you start a story-driven experience you want to see the conclusion. So we have to adapt and try new models.

"For example - and this is just my opinion, I'm not committing to anything - let's say that we develop a very good narrative, with a complex universe and strong characters. You start the game and then you complete it in three hours. That costs $30. That's it. Maybe that's the way to continue with story-driven games. You bring a strong experience, you make sure that the audience is interested by it, and that they can actually complete it.

"We always ask ourselves about that. But single-player for me is as strong as before, and it should continue."

Despite the love for single-player, Anfossi stated on the Eidos Montreal website that the firm is "going to be placing an added emphasis on the online experiences in our games." Does that mean the studio might be forced to abandon its previous path and deliver a Deus Ex MMO, or a Tomb Raider battle royale?

"We need to try new things, experience stuff and learn," Anfossi explains. "We want to build strong online technology. We are doing tests, we are learning, and we are working out how to apply that to our games, but we have to be careful about the fans. Online does not have to mean multiplayer. It could, but it could also be something different. It can be a single-player experience but online.

"We are trying different things. It's a bit pretentious, but I totally like the approach done by Nintendo where they have these small groups testing stuff. Even if it doesn't make sense right now, at some point you'll come across something cool to base a game on, or to put in a game. So we are doing that here. Online, for me, does not mean we forget the single-player experience. It could be part of that experience. Or it might mean we try multiplayer things at the same time."

[...]

Inevitably, as has been the case with almost all of these interviews, the subject of Hellblade comes up. Ninja Theory's impressive, relatively short single-player game that generated decent revenue, looked amazing, won numerous awards and was made on a relatively small budget.

"It's amazing. I am playing it at the moment," Anfossi says. "It's exactly what we said a bit earlier about trying to change the business model. I believe it is six hours of gameplay. It's very cinematic, it's character-centric, it's a good experience that I like a lot. I believe they developed this game with around 20 developers. So I started to study it, because for me it's an interesting new approach, and the result is great. It's definitely a good way to stick with the older generations of fans of story-driven games."

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Eidos Montreal's Deus Ex games are OK but somewhat compromised, contrived and miss the point.

Nu DX failed at everything Deus Ex was. It is sterile non provocative lifeless doll. Deus Ex made me think about things(Trilateral Commission, Bildeberg Group, Templar, Illuminati), try different approaches, feel for NPCs. Oh boy now i want to install it.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
https://www.pcgamesn.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided/eidos-montreal-deus-ex-5

<snip>

"That being said, I believe that the story-driven experience is going through a generational change. Especially for people like me, the old guys... people who are 25 or older. Looking at God of War, that's a pretty good example of a great single-player experience. I like it a lot, but I might not get the time to complete it. For me, that's a frustration. Because when you start a story-driven experience you want to see the conclusion. So we have to adapt and try new models.

"For example - and this is just my opinion, I'm not committing to anything - let's say that we develop a very good narrative, with a complex universe and strong characters. You start the game and then you complete it in three hours. That costs $30. That's it. Maybe that's the way to continue with story-driven games. You bring a strong experience, you make sure that the audience is interested by it, and that they can actually complete it.

<snip>

Emphasis mine. I can't believe a post with this text included is getting /incline ratings! I cannot fucking stand this bullshit argument of 'the game is great but I don't think I'll have time to complete it.' Why? Are you going to die soon? Is the world going to explode in a ball of fire and flame? Are you planning on selling everything and moving to Tibet to enter a monastery? No, what you actually mean is 'I'm going to lose interest in playing it because I'll get distracted by something else.' Which means the game isn't that good to begin with!

Of course in software studio head world, this translates to 'people want a really great experience that lasts for 3 hours to avoid them getting bored.' Newsflash, if your game is constantly throwing new challenges at the player and testing his ability to overcome problems in an interesting way- they won't get fucking bored! If you want to keep the gameplay the exact same for 100+ hours, (looking at you, Witcher 3), or if you want to bore the shit out of people with talking heads or walls of text, or just simplified, degenerate gameplay because you're scared players might fail, then yes, people will move onto something else. The answer is not to put even less effort into your dull shit game to make it last just 3 hours so people finish it before getting distracted!

:x

Last edited:

Tancred

Learned
All that shit about online experiences, Christ. Executives and studio heads really are not learning animals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom