Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The Obsidian shills at the obsidian boards are making my piss boil. I don't want anyone to take MCA's comments as 100% facts, but there are some idiots who are brushing everything aside, saying that this is how good businesses are ran.

That's how most official boards look like. Why would anyone other than complete dicksuckers want to post on a forum where devs can delete all criticism and ban all dissidents. In fact that's exactly why fanboys flock to official boards - to post about the game shielded by all the icky people who aren't as thrilled about the game as they are.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Avellone: muthafucka I'm so loaded I never have to work again, can sustain myself for 200 years and can easily fight 300-men corporations in courts if I so please.
All that freelance money.

Probably easy to ask for a pretty good going rate when the mere invocation of your name visibly disrupts kickstarter funding projection trend lines in kickstarters with 10s of thousands of backers.

But these obs forums cucks talk about good business huh?

So I wonder if the sequence of feargian dickery was this:

Chris asks about finances and why his wife had the equivalent of a political spouse's no show job at a lobbying firm given the financial difficulties of the company.

Feargus goes home and tells wife.

Wife gets enraged that he called a spade a spade and demands Feargus whose the only "real" boss do something.

Feargus, being the timeless schoolyard virgin without a spine and having spent years telling himself he deserves as much recognition as all the other old flags, comes in and does what he does with completely malicious intent.

FU: That Chris Avellone makes me so mad!

MU: De-owner him.... then make him work on Tyranny.

FU: Mwahahahaha *showers her with "Consultant" paychecks

IGHuK2R.jpg

Developer
Speaking of Boyarsky, how come he leaves cozy high level position at fucking Blizzard of all places, and goes to Obsidian if its such a horrible place to work?

Leonard would probably tell you if asked, but I will say that he likely would have more creative voice at Obsidian and for all the company’s problems, they would probably give him more control over his own work. For example, I believe the company specifically asked the Design Director not to interfere (beyond advice) for their project, which I don’t know would be true of every company where you might have many, many people weighing in and changing your work – having a “cozy” job isn’t usually something a real creative wants.

Creative freedom is a powerful motivator. Still, Leonard and Tim did leave Feargus/Black Isle once already and may have concluded over time the experience with Feargus/BIS wasn’t as bad as they remember – although memory can fade over time, and I wouldn’t be surprised if many of the issues that led to the initial departure are starting to resurface as they are reminded of practices they had forgotten about, and the closer you get to the top, the more you see.

There was some mention that Leonard’s story for their upcoming game was attacked unfairly by the Obsidian owners as being lacking, when, in fact, PoE2’s story had all the same “problems” that were being raised except at a much higher level - but PoE2 got a pass for it. This kind of disparity can get increasingly frustrating over time because it can come across as favoritism. Me, every design and quest arc I’ve read from Leonard in the past was pretty good, so I’m dubious that there would be anything wrong with his story proposals, and the Obsidian owners are probably the last people I would listen to when it comes to game story critiques.

There was some mention that Leonard’s story for their upcoming game was attacked unfairly by the Obsidian owners as being lacking, when, in fact, PoE2’s story had all the same “problems” that were being raised except at a much higher level - but PoE2 got a pass for it. This kind of disparity can get increasingly frustrating over time because it can come across as favoritism. Me, every design and quest arc I’ve read from Leonard in the past was pretty good, so I’m dubious that there would be anything wrong with his story proposals, and the Obsidian owners are probably the last people I would listen to when it comes to game story critiques.

What does Fergie bring to the table, if it has been established he is nepotistic, despotic, preferential and drives away big publishers with lots of money?

Serious question, does he have intangibles or something? IE say a shrill autistic scream that paralyzes his friends and enemies alike or something like dwarf nose but for beautiful nerd girls at comicon?

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
in fact, PoE2’s story had all the same “problems” that were being raised except at a much higher level - but PoE2 got a pass for it.
This mirrors something I've been thinking last week - FNV's story starts with you being no one of importance, getting hit on the head and setting off in pursuit of the guy who hit you. PoE2's story starts with you being (nominally) somebody of importance, for the first few minutes, then getting hit on the head, and then setting off in pursuit of the guy who hit you, in a land where you are... no one of importance all over again :D

Would you agree?

Flou

Arbiter

Do the owners, I mean all four of them give critique over storylines or is it just Feargus and Parker? We rarely even hear Jones' name being mentioned and isn't Darren more of a working in the background kinda guy?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
MCA, are you still planning to found a studio? You already said (I think in pre-TTON release, but I could be wrong) that you hoped someone would make another game in the Planescape setting. Are you still of the same idea? And if so, would your hypothetical new studio try to explore this avenue?

Last edited:

Molina

Savant
Well, I hope that anyone reading anything I wrote would not accept it blindly. I don't preach, I do want people to question and ask and contradict. And it's fine if they don't agree, and I freely admit I've been wrong countless times.

As for Tim and Leonard (and Jason), I feel that the franchises they created (inc. Bloodlines) resonated with a lot of RPG gamers and shouldn't be ignored, but respected for what this accomplished. That's all I meant - and yes, there might be a large and uncomfortable upfront cost to that, but imo, it would prove itself out over time, and I would support that looking at their work history.

I don't think broken processes always even out at all - but I think there are performers who you should bank on based on their track record because they do things players enjoy.

With all my respect...

Don't forget Arcananum plz. They became Gods with this game.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
MCA, are you still planning to found a studio? You already said (I think in pre-TTON release, but I could be wrong) that you hoped someone would make another game in the Planescape setting. Are you still of the same idea? And if so, would your hypothetical new studio try to explore this avenue?
No Wolves Entertainment, Inc.

Fry

Arcane
If hypothetically, the game industry is an overall "no" next year, I could relax for 200+ years and not worry about a thing. Even my funeral is paid for.

I don't have many expenses, and I don't need to work anymore - I work because I love writing for games, so I do. Shocking, I know, but... yes, it's the truth.

You went from being in debt in June of 2015 when you left Obsidian, to now being in a position where you have the financial resources to cover 200 years of sitting on your behind?

That's quite a remarkable turnaround, and seems outside the scope of what you'd likely be paid for the work you've done in the past three years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom