Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frostpunk - ice age city builder from This War Of Mine devs

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I must admit, I'm kinda envious at the more inclined people feeling playing this on normal is just easy going.

I'm envious of people building all those fucking metropolises in games like Skylines. I'm way too intimidated by those and I'm not autistic enough to keep all those goddamn moving parts in my head and thinking straight. Maybe that's why I like the simple, tight gameplay of Frostpunk. I'd definitely love something more complex but not by much.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
When i thought a little bit about it,the long shifts feel idiotic. Why overwork when you can have two or three shifts. By the end of refugee you have far more people than jobs to feel. There should have bee a night shift at least.Another thing is that you can't make the generator as some kind of refuge for when it becomes far too cold. You could just hurl all the people around it,in a closed isolated place and make a Russian bath out of it :lol:. Also you can have far more than 10 people in a two storey building,i have tried it,managed to gather 50 people at a party. In a moment of actual ruff times people to get creative to survive,they won't be like "You can't sleep on the floor because we only have 10 beds,back to the cold streets!". Why devs can't use simple logic is beyond me :cry:. If something happens all the video game devs will die first,haven't seen really logical game in my life.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
When i thought a little bit about it,the long shifts feel idiotic. Why overwork when you can have two or three shifts. By the end of refugee you have far more people than jobs to feel. There should have bee a night shift at least.Another thing is that you can't make the generator as some kind of refuge for when it becomes far too cold. You could just hurl all the people around it,in a closed isolated place and make a Russian bath out of it :lol:. Also you can have far more than 10 people in a two storey building,i have tried it,managed to gather 50 people at a party. In a moment of actual ruff times people to get creative to survive,they won't be like "You can't sleep on the floor because we only have 10 beds,back to the cold streets!". Why devs can't use simple logic is beyond me :cry:. If something happens all the video game devs will die first,haven't seen really logical game in my life.
Yeah, the game lacks many common sense laws like this.

You can double up people in hospitals, but never more than 10 in one house. Can force 10 dudes to work a 24 hour shift, or constant 14 hour workdays but having a night shift is apparently impossible, despite being a saner way of handling things (at least for the various mines). A lot of the options don't make much sense to me either. The only advantage of a coal mine compared to a thumper is using less space, and I have absolutely no idea why anyone would build a charcoal kiln (except for a challenge run). Generator range upgrade also makes little sense to me, steam hubs seem like the better option every time.

People without housing do seem to huddle up near the generator though.
I have barely touched the 3rd tier of tech and the main scenario just ends? What the fuck? Did they run out of funding to finish the scenario or what? Or did I not notice and installed the demo by accident? I barely got to use the resource camp expeditions, I thought this was the mid-game!
I have no idea how you managed to finish that fast (or maybe you researched very slowly, but if that's the case I don't see how you didn't freeze to death).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, good point about triple shifts. They should definitely implement that - if you have more workers, enable double/triple shifts.

Another annoyance - workers just randomly wander off building shit whenever they feel too. That's super annoying on Hard where you sometimes have to micromanage individual workplaces and workers. They should implement a "lock this worker in this workplace" feature or some such. Also sick workers keep occupying workplace spots and if you manually dismiss them you can't just assign "fresh" ones. If you cilck "Max" some of those sick workers wander in again.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I have no idea how you managed to finish that fast (or maybe you researched very slowly, but if that's the case I don't see how you didn't freeze to death).

I had 300+ people die at the end from the cold. Granted, I didn't really focus on research with just one workshop that was idle half of the time due to lack of resources so you may have a point.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I had 300+ people die at the end from the cold. Granted, I didn't really focus on research with just one workshop that was idle half of the time due to lack of resources so you may have a point.
I feel like having 90% of your population die doesn't really count as a victory. A finish sure, but a really bad end :M

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I feel like having 90% of your population die doesn't really count as a victory. A finish sure, but a really bad end :M

Yeah. So many people dying decimates your hope so at least you should lose that way. Right now you have what, 3 days to restore a bit of hope after zeroing which is ridiculous, especially at the end. Losing hope should be much more serious threat.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Sooo guys,which path did you took,Religion or Order?

I always take religion but don't think it really matters. I just like the Shrines that gives you OP production boost.
2%? Order has a better version of that.

I've tried both and they are fairly similar in the broad strokes, most buildings match 1:1.

Some differences though like faiths utility buildings and orders foremen.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Foreman works with automatons, so that's nice. I don't think the agitator nor shrine boosts efficiency for automatons.

Puteo

Learned
I must admit, I'm kinda envious at the more inclined people feeling playing this on normal is just easy going.

For you and anyone else who is having difficulty with the game, a tip: always rush double scouts. Two scout teams means 10 less people you need to feed and each team can bring in many times the resources per day they would be making at an early game facility.

Honestly they're so OP it's not even worth writing more tips unless you're playing on hard.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
always rush double scouts

Generally yes but it's not always so simple. Scouts can bring in a lot of resources but unupgraded it takes them days and in Refugees you have -50 on day 7. You have to rush basically everything else first or you'll just freeze to death. It's a fine balance.

rezaf

Cipher
Thanks for the tipp Puteo, maybe I'll try that.

Though my main gripe with the game was that I tended to get into a downward spiral there seemed to be no way out of.
There seems to be a somewhat mandatory "build order" of which things you HAVE to have, if you fail to get them at a certain point it's basically game over long before you realize it.
For example, in my very first attempt, I neglected to research the heating updates in time. The effects of cold are so harsh, even before serious freezing, I had like 30 sick people, and a clinic staffed by valuable engineers takes sooooooooo long to cure them. Also, wtf, 5 engineers tending 5 people? Clinics should be able to handle like 50 patients with 1 engineer and a couple of childworkers.
And then everybody is freezing their arses off because I can build huge ass factories in which heaters are installed, but people still have to stick around in tents. And when I increase their working hours so they could stay longer in their warm and cozy workplace they complain, yet when they head home they enter the door and go like "I'm home sick honey!"?
I realize managing the cold is the main mechanic of the game, but ... well, I'm not sure it's correctly balanced.

Maybe it's supposed to be this way, but then I go back to my point of wishing for some sort of inverted game mode. Maybe modding will save the day. I think they said they wanted to open up the game for modding eventually (despite promising it as a feature pre-release).

Puteo

Learned
Generally yes but it's not always so simple. Scouts can bring in a lot of resources but unupgraded it takes them days and in Refugees you have -50 on day 7. You have to rush basically everything else first or you'll just freeze to death. It's a fine balance.

Honestly I always think that too but then I get the scouts out and I go "huh, it's not so hard to manage without them after all." I haven't beaten Refugees on hard yet (got to day 10 and realized my coal economy was shit and the generator shut down, need to go thumper instead of mines) but it seems like child labor is a must in that scenario. Picking it day 1 solves a lot of problems.

And when I increase their working hours so they could stay longer in their warm and cozy workplace they complain, yet when they head home they enter the door and go like "I'm home sick honey!"?

FYI, long hours will cause sickness no matter how warm the workplace is.

Personally, I get the workshop up and running as my first build item and make sure it always has something to research and it's always on extended shift. Time is your most limited resource and it's very hard to increase research speed.

If I have a low sick queue and low discontent I'll pop a 24 hour shift to catch up on research. It puts you way ahead.

You are right about sickness though, it's such a burden on the economy and takes so long to recover. I call it the sickness spiral. Once you have more than 10 people sick and not in treatment you are screwed, I generally just start over at that point.

rezaf

Cipher
I actually never tried having people stay at work longer to keep them warm, but it ought to be a thing. Like, give them an 16 hour extended lunch break but have them stay at the well heated factory instead of heading home into the harsh cold. Or just allow heaters in tents, maybe at a discount coal consumption ratio (since the tents are smallish).

The thing with starting over with is that there's no randomness. You always get the same temperature drops and stuff at the exact same times.
Wait, that's not true. There's some randomness. For example, I often fail to trigger the "we need homes" mission right at the start, dunno why. :P

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The game doesn't need much randomness in temperature drops (although a little more wouldn't hurt), it needs randomness on the world map. The scavenge locations are flat-out missed opportunity. There are only like 3 of them in the main campaign with different outcomes and NONE in the scenarios. Most of them are static. This is incredibly boring and disappointing. They should do something vastly more engaging with them going forward.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there anything that affects whether your guys die at the scavenge locations that can be fatal, or is it just the flip of a coin? I would at least want my guys to have a +3 polar bear slaying rifle before going to the gloomy cave if that were an option. Maybe the chance to include an engineer to help with the Tesla City thing would be nice.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Yes, the first 2 times my scouts were vaporized at Tesla City, third time they survived. Did nothing different. E: I didn't plan to savescum, was merely curious. I had saved about 8 hours before my scouts had entered the place and it was the first time I had something like that happen.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom