Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP] Enlist in the Royal Dragoons! Codex plays Sabres of Infinity

"They are a bit rough, but they'll do a soldier's work well enough."

Elson gives a grim little slash of a smile. He looks a lot more cynical than he was when you first met him.

"I hope you're right Ortiga. We can't afford to lose this one. The honour of the regiment depends on it." The newly-minted captain runs his thin pianist's fingers through his hair as he looks pensively northwards. He breathes for a moment, just in and out, slowly. Then, he turns back to you, his eyes intent.

"I've brought my troop here so that we may draw from replacements and bring them back to strength, but I've left another troop at the rendezvous point. Get your men together and tell them the news. I''ll get my men a meal and some saints-be-damned sleep, myself too, I suppose. Assemble here an hour before sunset. The rally point is half a week northwards on the old highway. I'll lead you there myself. Then we can set ourselves to the real work."

CHAPTER VI

In which the cavalry officer is reacquainted with two old COMRADES.
"This war's left a mark on us all," Elson muses, as he holds his horse at an easy walk next to yours at the head of your men. "I'd not be surprised if you thought us all entirely different people, my dear fellow."

The man has a point; the Davis d'al Elson you see riding beside you is not the same grandiosely enthusiastic boy which you remember from your training and sea voyage to Antar. Over the past three days of riding, you have been able to behold the changes up close, with no other source of refined conversation on the road north. He seems more subdued and quiet, more sure of himself and perhaps, possessed of less need to prove it to all around him. The pressures of command and higher rank certainly seem to have changed him for the better.

He also seems a better horseman: he sits easily at the head of his men, almost as well as you do, in fact. You have not seen him fumble in the saddle once on the long ride north.

-

Elson reins his horse to a stop just short of a post nailed into the forest floor at the side of the road. You hear the sound of several flintlocks being cocked coming from the underbrush ahead.

You hear a voice from ahead: "At 2 o'clock, the drums will sound."

Elson gives an immediate reply. "—and lure the dragon from sky to ground."

For a moment, there is naught but the sound of eighty men and horses, shuffling nervously on the road. Then:

"That's the pass-phrase. Carry on sir!"

-

Elson apologizes to you as you and your men pass by the still-alert sentries hidden in the woods.

"Sorry about that, dear fellow. We're too far north to be sure who might come calling. I sent a troop ahead to secure the rendezvous point, picked the best man I had for the job."

1) "Your best man? Who might that be sir?"
2) "Isn't that a little bit paranoid setting up such precautions sir? After all, we are still behind our lines."
3) "Very well, let's keep going sir.

As of the Summer of the 607th year of the Old Imperial Era

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 550
Income: 10

Soldiering: 74%

Charisma: 40%

Intellect: 0%

Health: 75%

Idealism: 76% Cynicism: 24%

Ruthlessness: 31% Mercy: 69%

You have no decorations as of yet.

Sixth Troop, Third Squadron, Royal Dragoons
Senior NCO: Staff- Sergeant Hernandes

Discipline: 30%

Morale: 25%

Loyalty: 25%

MICHAEL BRIGGINS
(Born 578 OIE) Lieutenant in the Royal Tierran Navy, Third Lieutenant, HMS Victorious, Baneless.

CAIUS D'AL CAZAROSTA
(Born 585 OIE) Cornet of the Royal Dragoon Regiment. Illegitimate son of the Countess of Leoniscourt. Deathborn.

SIR JOHANNES D'AL FINDLAY, DUKE OF CUNARIS
(Born 556 OIE) Lord colonel of the Royal Dragoon Regiment. Knight-Grandmaster of the order of Saint Jerome. A sitting member of the Cortes and head of the noble house of Findlay. Married with three children. Banecaster of the 8th Calibre.

LORD DAVIS D'AL ELSON
(Born 584 OIE) Captain of the Royal Dragoon Regiment, eldest son of the Baron of Hawthorne , a poor, but politically influential Cortes noble. In possession of aspirations to knighthood.Banecaster of the 3rd Calibre.

WILLIAM FENTON
(Born 578 OIE) Corporal of the Royal Dragoon Regiment, formerly in service to the Ortiga family. Baneless.

ATHELSTAN HARLECH
(Born 572 OIE) Corporal of the Royal Dragoon Regiment, popular with the men. Baneless.

LEONARD HERNANDES
(Born 578 OIE) Staff Sergeant Sergeant of the Royal Dragoon Regiment, disciplinarian. Baneless.

SOLHAMMOND LANZEREL
(Born 574 OIE) Sergeant of the Royal Dragoon Regiment, formerly of the 4th Regiment of Foot.Baneless.

DANIEL D'AL LEFEBVRE
(Born 575 OIE) A staff officer of the Grenadier Guards Regiment with the rank of captain. Baneblood.

SIR ALFRED D'AL MONTEZ
(Born 565 OIE) The Commanding officer of the Third Squadron of the Royal Dragoon Regiment. holds the rank of captain. Baneblood.

HIS TIERRAN MAJESTY, KING MIGUEL I OF HOUSE RENDOWER
(Born 586 OIE) Reigning monarch of the Unified Kingdom of Tierra as well as Duke of Aetoria. Young and impetuous, but capable. Baneblood.

RICHARD WALKEN, RN
(Born 565 OIE) Captain of the List in the Royal Tierran Navy. Commanding officer, HMSVictorious. Baneless

SIR ENRIQUE D'AL HUNTER, VISCOUNT OF WOLFSWOOD
(Born 577 OIE) An officer of the Grenadier Guards Regiment. Knight-Captain of the Order of Saint Jerome. Commanding officer of Second Battalion, Grenadier Guards. Banecaster of the 9th Calibre.

HECTOR CANDLESS, DUKE OF WULFRAM
(Born 542 OIE) Lieutenant General in command of Tierran forces in Antar. Duke of the northern duchy of Wulfram. An experienced, but conservative career soldier. Banecaster of the 6th Calibre.

antar_map.jpg

antar_map.jpg

SPRING, 602:

With the thawing of the winter snows, the Tierran Army has begun expanding its beachhead around the town of Noringia.

The King has demanded that at least three Regiments of Foot and one Regiment of Horse must be deployed reinforce the forces in Antar by the end of summer.

The Earl of Crittenden, Port-Admiral at Northern Pillars, reports the Calligian Sea to be free of Antari warships.

SUMMER, 602:

Elements of the King's Army have reached the River Kharan. Construction has begun on numerous outposts along the river.

Royal Tierran Intelligence reports that a large Antari army is being mustered to repel the Tierran Army. His Grace the Duke of Wulfram is dispatched to take overall command of the Tierran Army in Antar.

The Northern Fleet attempts to launch an amphibious raid against the Antari port of Kharangia. Shore batteries repel the attack. The Northern Fleet loses two frigates, and a third-rate of the line.

The Royal Dragoon Regiment lands in Antar, along with the 6th of Foot, the 8th of Foot and the Kentauri Highlanders.

AUTUMN, 602:

A 14 000-strong Antari army advances south from Octobirit, with the intent of retaking Noringia.

The Duke of Wulfram assembles a force of nine regiments, numbering 6 000 men, to face the Antari, with the intention of isolating individual columns and destroying the enemy by detail.

WINTER, 602:

After a twelve-day running battle, the last 4 500 survivors of the Antari army surrender to the Duke of Wulfram's troops, 70 km northeast of Noringia. Thousands of men die on both sides from the bitter winter weather.

The Duke of Wulfram makes the decision to bypass the heavily fortified city of Kharangia. As a result, the River Kharan is designated the main line of defence on the western front. Elements of the Grenadier Guards, the 9th of Foot and the White Rose Lancers are dispatched to reinforce the picket forces already present.

SPRING, 603:

Increased Tierran presence along the River Kharan has led to an increase in partisan activity.

Royal Tierran Intelligence reports evidence of a second Antari army being assembled in northwestern Antar.

SUMMER, 603:

An army of 18 000 Antari advances south from Octobirit. Their intention is to retake Noringia.

The Earl of Weathern, Deputy Privy Councilor for War, proposes that His Tierran Majesty offer the Antari favourable peace terms coupled with the payment of a face-saving level of war reparations. The proposal is dismissed out of hand.

AUTUMN, 603:

The Duke of Wulfram successfully forces the Antari to divide their army into three parts, all of which are destroyed by Tierran forces over a period of two weeks.

SUMMER, 604:

The King requests that the Cortes add an additional 2 000 000 crowns per annum to the military budget, for the purpose of maintaining the Tierran forces in Antar. The proposal passes, barely.

AUTUMN, 604:

The Duke of Wulfram leads a reconnaissance-in-force into the central plains of Antar, burning sixteen villages and disrupting the harvest in that region.

Antari envoys to the Convocation of the Orders-Militant put forward a motion to excommunicate the Unified Kingdom of Tierra and declare them Pariah-Among-Nations.

Royal Tierran Intelligence reports that Prince Mikhail of Khorobirit demanded that the League Congress supply him with the authority to recruit fighting men from the holdings of all Antari lords, for the purpose of creating an army to throw the Tierrans into the sea. He receives overwhelming support, but is vetoed by a personal rival.

WINTER, 604:

Central Antar is hit by a severe famine, thanks to the raiding of Tierran forces. The death toll reaches 75 000 by the beginning of spring.

SPRING, 605:

The Cortes votes to raise a tax on pewter bowls and plates to maintain the war in Antar. The state coffers, having once possessed reserves in excess of 30 000 000 crowns, is now empty.

AUTUMN, 605:

Antari envoys appeal to both the Court of the Sun and Heavens of Kian'Zi and the Richsenaat of Takara for aid against the Tierrans.

SPRING, 606:

The Antari begin mounting major raids into Tierran-held Antar, comprising rapidly-moving forces of one to two hundred men.

The Convocation of the Orders-Militant vote against declaring Tierra Pariah-Among-Nations by a narrow margin.

SUMMER, 605:

Royal Tierran Intelligence reports that a series of "accidental deaths" have befallen several known personal and political enemies of Prince Mikhail of Khorobirit.

SUMMER, 606:

The Ministry of the Exchequer announces that the Tierran government will be more than 2 500 000 crowns in debt by the end of 608.

AUTUMN, 606:

The King presents the Duke of Wulfram with an ultimatum: end the war in Tierra's favour within a year, or face dismissal from service.

The King requests an additional 3 000 000 crowns per annum from the Cortes to expand the Royal Army. His proposal is voted down by a margin of three to one. The Throne's political position is growing dangerously precarious.

Royal Tierran Intelligence reports that Prince Mikhail of Khorobirit has successfully enlisted the aid and resources of nearly two hundred Lords of the Congress for the purpose of building his army.

Riots break out in Tannersburg over the rising cost of bread. Without Antari imports, the price of grain has risen three-fold.

The Duke of Wulfram attempts another reconnaissance-in-force into the central plains, but is intercepted by a force of Antari cavalry. A six day running battle proves inconclusive, with heavy losses on both sides.

WINTER, 606:

The Earl of Weathern once again proposes opening peace talks with the Antari, this time, to an open session of the Cortes. His motion passes by a margin of seven votes. For the first time in three decades, a King of Tierra uses his royal prerogative to veto the motion.

Royal Tierran Intelligence reports that the League Congress has given Mikhail of Khorobirit the authority to recruit an army to defeat the Tierrans within the next year.

Richsgraav Maximillian vam Holt of the Takaran Richsenaat proposes sending observers to both Antari and Tierran armies to gain a better understanding of the Tierran-Antari war.

The Cortes votes to raise taxes on coffee and postage stamps for the purposes of financing the war in Antar and raising three additional Regiments of Foot to reinforce the Tierran Army. The average Tierran now pays twice as much in taxes as he did a decade ago.

SPRING, 607:

Antari raids increase in intensity and power, to the consternation of Grenadier Square.

Royal Tierran Intelligence reports that Mikhail of Khorobirit has assembled an army of 40 000 men and is advancing south.

Intendants representing the Takaran government arrive in Antar.

Mother of all winds knocked down about a dozen power pylons in area. No idea when power will return. Sorry if I don't update this in the meantime. On the plus side, I should have an update for the torment cyoa ready this weekend.

"Isn't that a little bit paranoid setting up such precautions sir? After all, we are still behind our lines."

Elson shakes his head.

"My dear fellow, we have not had the luxury of billeting behind the stout palisade of a major outpost or the walls and garrison of Noringia. His Grace has us moving constantly, with little time to set up encampments on strange and often unwelcome ground."

The Captain catches himself before his tone grows too strident. He gives a little smile in the way of apology and tries to soften his previous words.

"It is a lesson we have learned from our experience. I am sure that you will have lessons of your own to share with us, gathered from your own detatched duties in the east."

You and Elson emerge from the forest into a great clearing, covered in tents and that miasma of shit, smoke and general filth which serves as the universal sign of any force of fighting men on the march. In the centre stands a ruined stone hall; its stone walls are charred black, and its windows long shattered to pieces. Perhaps it had been abandoned at the beginning of the war, or perhaps it had been burned and ruined in one of the many feudal conflicts between rival Lords of the Congress which Antar holds host to on occasion.

-

Elson dismounts and motions for you and the men following you to do the same. You lead your horses to a crude, impromptu enclosure before quickly setting up an area fit for eighty men to camp in. Elson is quick, decisive, and gets the job done quickly. It appears he was right: he does seem an entirely different person.

This being done, the Captain leads you to the ruined stone edifice at the centre of the camp. The sentries recognize their new squadron commander on sight, and allow the two of you entrance with a quick snap to attention.

The interior of the building has obviously been converted into some sort of headquarters. A pair of cornets scurry about, checking reports and marking locations on a set of maps set neatly on a large stone table. However, of the officer Elson had placed in command, there is no sign.

-

You make another step forward, only to nearly trip on a chunk of fallen masonry: the head of what had once been the statue of a beautiful woman with long flowing hair and matronly features. You recognize it as the Mother of Ascension, the central figure of the Antari faith which, aside from the existence of that one central figure, is so nearly identical to your own.

With a start, you realize that every single piece of statuary in the hall has been given similar treatment. The walls are lined with beheaded figures, desecrated by fresh cuts from hatchets and sabres.

Elson seems just as shocked as you are. "Who is responsible for the defacement of these figures?" he asks, his tone commanding.

The nearest subaltern runs up, saluting. "The troop commander sir."

The Captain's face twists into a mask of puzzlement. "Why would he do that, dear fellow?"

The response comes not from the junior officer, but from a calm tenor from behind you.

"Simply because it is the duty of the faithful to destroy the marks of heresy, wherever they may be found."

You turn to confront the voice, only to find yourself face to face with Caius d'al Cazarosta.

-

Cazarosta wears the two pips of a lieutenant now, just like you. He gives a stiff salute to Captain Elson and holds it until it is returned before facing you. "Lieutenant Ortiga, a pleasure to make your acquaintance once again."

Cazarosta grips your hand firmly enough as he shakes it, but his expression is absolutely impenetrable. If anything, he has become even more frigid and unemotional since your days together at Fernandescourt.

Elson takes another sidelong glance at the defaced statues lining the hall before shaking his head and waving his hand in a dismissive gesture.

"Lieutenant Cazarosta, we shall discuss the necessity of your actions during my absence later; now, to business."

-

Cazarosta leads you to the set of maps placed on the stone table — an altar, you think — and waves the sub-alterns away. As you approach, you can see a meticulously drawn map of the surrounding forest, with the position of your camp and currently active patrols marked by wooden tokens painted dark orange.

"I've been dispatching scouting parties ever since we got here, and we now have a passable knowledge of the terrain around us." The other Lieutenant points out four or five tokens outside of the main cluster representing the camp. "These markers represent those patrols' projected positions. We update them every six hours or so."

Elson nods his head, half eager and half impatient. "Indeed Lieutenant, and any news of our quarry?"

Cazarosta smiles: a pale, malicious thing which seems sedate and vicious all at the same time. "We've good news there sir. The Antari we clashed with about a week ago have been trying to flee back into the plains ever since we disengaged with them. I had a patrol follow them. It seems that we had put enough fear into them to get them running on the open road, as fast as their legs could carry them."

The Captain scowls, his eyebrows angle in frustration. "Saintsbedamned. If they were on the Imperial Highway and making that sort of haste, they'll be halfway to Octobirit by now."

-

The deathborn lieutenant shakes his head. "That is, of course, assuming that they have kept a steady pace. I can assure you, they have not."

Cazarosta points at a cluster of tokens painted white, gathered around a river crossing not a hundred kilometres north of the camp and accompanied by copious notes in Cazarosta's neat, mechanical handwriting. "I have had Staff Sergeant Lanzerel and his men follow them for the past few days. Their reports give a most certain image: the Antari are camped here, at the river in a fortified camp."

Elson looks at the map for a moment and nods. "Perhaps they decided to rest their men and mounts after they realized that we were not in any state to pursue them," he muses.

The Captain's eyes dart around the map, a grin forming on his lips. Cazarosta notices it too. "I suppose you have a plan sir?"

The aristocratic officer nods at Cazarosta's essayed query, a full smile on his lips. "Indeed Lieutenant. Call a staff meeting."

-

Captain Elson's staff consists of the two cornets already present, yourself, Cazarosta and the senior sergeants of each troop as well as two other sub-alterns. The meeting comes together quickly and the entire assembly is brought up to date by Cazarosta's intelligence in less than ten minutes. The other officers and NCOs shuffle nervously as the full immensity of the tactical problem before them is revealed. The previous engagement had been a blind skirmish in the woods. With the full strength of the enemy force revealed, the prospect of facing that same enemy seems more daunting than before.

With the others now informed, Elson takes command of the meeting.

"Gentlemen, you are now all aware of the problem, let us turn our minds to solutions. I propose the following course of action…"

-

Elson speaks with an air of command that you have never heard before as he outlines his battle plan.

"The Antari are retreating, but they will likely also be overconfident in their numbers and in their fortified position. On the other hand, we have only enough feed and rations for four days and water for a week. If we are to strike, we must do so now, unless you gentlemen have no objections to walking back south."

The Captain gathers up the orange tokens and arrays them in front of the Antari camp. With thumb and forefinger, he pushes roughly half of them forward, into the midst of the red tokens representing the Antari.

"We shall advance half of our force forward and challenge the enemy to open battle. I doubt that whomever is in command of that force would pass up an opportunity to destroy a numerically inferior force in the open. When he sorties with his men, the second part of our force will burn the Antari camp whilst the distraction element focuses the attentions of our aggressive suitors upon themselves."

You find yourself nodding along with much of the rest of the assembled men. It is a risky plan, but you are an officer of the Royal Dragoons, and risk is your business.

-

"With the Antari camp destroyed, the enemy will be thrown into disarray. Without supplies, shelter or ammunition stores, they shall have no choice but to return North."

Elson looks around the table. "Well then gentlemen? Any questions or comments?"

For the barest sliver of a moment, there is naught but silence. The other men around the table seem well acquainted enough with Elson's style of battle, and they all seem to approve to some extent or another…

…all except one.

-

Cazarosta raises his hand, his expression unchanged.

"With all due respect sir, I have certain reservations about your plan of action. I believe it to rely too much on the cooperation of our enemies. More to the point sir, the destruction of the enemy force does not appear to have been among the final objectives of your plan, is that not so?" Cazarosta continues, the sheer force of his voice carring him past any potential accusations of excessive presumption that might have served to stop him. "Therefore, I must conclude that the victory which your plan will provide, though inspired, is incomplete."

The insinuating tone of Cazarosta's words catch you by surprise; clearly the man has cut away some of his bluntness since last you saw him. Elson turns in reply and you brace yourself, expecting the hot response of the proud aristocrat insulted by a lowly deathborn-bastard.

Instead, he merely dips his head, his eyebrows betraying only the slightest hint of annoyance. "I suppose you have an alternative then, Lieutenant Cazarosta?"

The deathborn officer looks to the two men standing in front of him. Without a word, they step aside with all the resistance of a cloud of smoke. Cazarosta steps up to the edge of the table into the recently vacated space, his face fixed in a predatory grin.

"Indeed I do, sir."

To your complete surprise, Elson responds not with indignity, but merely with a calm expression trying very hard to hide a set of gritted teeth. It seems that despite their enmity, Elson has learned to at least give Cazarosta's often rude demeanour some minimal amount of tolerance.

"Very well Lieutenant, I set you at liberty to enlighten the rest of us."

Cazarosta examines the map for a moment, his expression tight. Then his hands reach out and begin moving the orange counters to their original position as he explains his proposed plan of action.

"I believe the Captain's plan to be fundamentally sound; however, I must respectfully point out that he has overlooked two factors which I believe to be fundamental. First, the Antari are unprepared, they are retreating towards their own lines already and their failure to post pickets implies either a supreme arrogance or an absolute weariness which would leave them easily panicked."

You can't help but notice that Cazarosta has grown more verbose over the years. Perhaps it is Elson's influence. Or perhaps the deathborn officer has finally learned to turn his words to his advantage.

"Secondly, we must not ignore the fact that a substantial Antari force has penetrated deep into territory held by the King's Army. Despite their current complacency, I would, based on their performance in their previous engagement against us, rate them as accomplished amateurs, if not merely careless veterans. In either sense, it behooves us to deprive the enemy of a body of fighting men of such quality."

Cazarosta locks eyes with Elson, as if he and the Captain were the only two standing around the map.

"Thus, I present the following plan, with the objective of destroying the Antari force as utterly as possible."

The others seem unruffled as Cazarosta begins moving the counters. Clearly, this is not uncommon. You pick out an almost uniform air of unease and annoyance from the other officers, but none move to stop him. For a deathborn bastard to have won the grudging tolerance, if not the respect, of so many banebloods is extraordinary in itself.

How do you think he has managed it?

1) Perhaps he has won their tolerance through his exploits in battle.
2) Maybe he has taken the effort to be more civil with his fellow officers.
3) He is likely manipulating them, making them more permissive of his eccentricites for his own purposes.

Alaric d'al Ortiga

As unlikely as it may seem, it may indeed be possible that Cazarosta has become a more agreeable person.

-

Cazarosta splits the orange counters into two groups. One, he begins placing in the forest south of the Antari camp.

"My plan will also require splitting our forces in two. The main force will take positions in the forest, in ambush along the road." The Lieutenant's expression seems to take on some warmth as he takes the other handful of counters, the smaller one, and sweeps them eastward along the river, to a place marked in ink.

"Our scouts have identified a ford further up the river. The Antari have failed to guard or post lookouts there. We must then assume that they do not know of its existence. Thus, I would have the smaller portion of our forces cross this second ford under cover of night and circle around to the rear of the Antari encampment and thus catch them unawares."

His voice grows louder as he moves the smaller group across the river, and around to the Antari encampment. "Using darkness and surprise, this second force will drive the Antari in disarray further southward, towards the majority of our force." He pushes the Antari back towards the first group, his voice now burning with crusading zeal. "I have no doubt that the great majority of the enemy would scatter or surrender in the face of such a hopeless situation, allowing our forces to hunt down the remainder at our leisure."

With a sweep of his hand, he brushes the scattered red tokens aside. You find yourself holding your own breath. The entire table is enraptured as if Cazarosta were a virtuoso violinist.

-

It takes the quiet sound of Captain Elson clearing his own throat to bring your attention back to the meeting as a whole.

"I would rate it a good plan, Cazarosta, certainly one worth considering," he announces, with almost no sincerity whatsoever. He turns to the other gathered officers, who seem to be strongly resisting the urge to break out into debate over the merits of opposing plans. "Gentlemen, your thoughts?"

The meeting disintegrates into half a dozen voices all arguing for one plan or the other.

Which do you favour?

1) Captain Elson's plan.
2) Cazarosta's plan.
3) I haven't decided quite yet.

Alaric d'al Ortiga

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom