Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
passive agressive conflict-mongering

Thought MCA started to do dat after his departure, seems it started well before that.

Did you also think he was the only one? It's the entire office, my dude.

We had a big gay Codex discussion a few months back about development teams full of B-type personalities and the many ways in which passive-aggressive nonsense is a way of life in such environments. I'm sure someone can dig it up.

It's probably drama central in there 24/7 when the cameras aren't rolling—not football team and cheerleader style drama, but debate team and anime club style drama.

It's the way of life in most office based work spaces.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm really surprised that this didn't get more coverage from mainstream media like kotaku since they usually report studios drama

Reporting one man's allegations without verifying with another source or at least getting a comment from Obsidian might not reach sufficient journalistic standards for the higher tier sites (yes, believe it or not). If nobody from Obsidian is willing to talk, there might be nothing.

:lol:

Everyone loves to point out that MCA is "one man," but he's a man that Obsidian trotted out onto the runway countless times to show off: "YOO-HOO! WE'VE GOT AVELLONE ON BOARD, HERE! CHRIS AVELLONE, EVERYBODY! GOT CHRIS AVELLONE WRITING, BUY OUR GAMES! YOU'RE GONNA LOVE 'EM!". The point being, his word carried a lot of weight with both Obsidian and the fans up until yesterday at least. He's not the building janitor or an intern.

They have zero journalistic standards and can and do report rumors prematurely, if they want to. The only reason they won't in this case is because their paymasters (i.e., developers and publishers) wouldn't like it for reasons that should be obvious. If it were any other kind of unfounded juicy rumor that could get them clicks, it'd be up in an instant.

Your ability to delude yourself and remain in denial about certain things even in the face of so much obviousness truly beggars belief. Is it a special Israeli talent?

Rotschild gene indeed

Rev

Arcane
There is no forgiving anyone in Obsidian management after hearing their actions during and after New Vegas, their best game and some of the best writing in gaming in general. They have sabotaged talent and they have given completely into inane work place politics. It's petty and a disgrace. All to attain some misguided failing visions of few talking heads, who couldn't care less about the medium or the creativity in it.
Weren't you an Obsidian/PoE/Sawyer fanboy just until some weeks ago? I'm asking just out of curiosity, since your last comments seem much more negative than they used to be.

Btw, Avellone's claims about Feargus and upper management draw a terrible picture about them. I'd still like to hear the other side of the story, although it's not likely to happen (and MCA would be stupid to lie completely about all this stuff), but we will see.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am further curious how Josh Sawyer may or may not fit into this. I presumed a lot of tension came from a Avellone/Sawyer divide, but it appears more and more like Fenstermaker drama.

Mikeal

Arcane
Holy fuck, I should be writing my master thesis, but this thread is to entertaining/interesting to get back to writing. Damn Chris if I will have to defend in september you will be one to blame. All this good Obsidian's games like KOTOR2, NWN2, MOTB, F:NV, AP, PoE it will be hard to play in them now, when I know what kind of shitty company Obsidian is. I know it's pretty stupid but I can't separate product from creator/publisher. With all this information you shared, you should finally answered on Codex ultimate question. What happened between you and Josh Sawyer? All users on Codex are dying to know the truth and create shitload of crazy theories. Enlighten us finally Chris. Please.

Using Chris's debts to effectively force him out of the industry is not just business as usual; it's highly immoral behavior that is border line, or even straight up, criminal

It is business as usual. Companies are greedy and will always do everything they can to maximize their profits. They don't think about their action in ethical terms, they think only about what they can do and get away with it. Don't trust PR liars who are there to manipulate you. There is no such think as morality in business. There are more psychopaths at the CEO positions then they are in prisons.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Damn, using cancer as leverage. Stay classy, Obsidian.
LOL

In Infinitron's eye, anyone who says mean things about Obsidian, Larian, CDPR, HBS, PB et al. or any of their games is being an edgelord. I'm not sure if inXile is still under his protection after they've disgraced themselves so many times.

424440df64.png

BTW, this is also how Infinitron has rated all of my posts critical of Obsidian, Larian, CDPR, HBS, PB et al. or any of their games.
A few pages back he was rating every post that was critical of Obsidian "creative", suggesting that it was mere confabulation in classic passive-agressive fashion.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Was there anything more juicy than this though?

Bro, I hung up on my sister earlier than I usually would last night so I could get back to this thread. You can see the gap in my posts from about 0040 GMT to around 0150? GMT last night (for me).

Jobs have literally been quit to ensure that nothing is missed in Codex drama eruption threads.

2house2fly

Magister
Holy fuck, I should be writing my master thesis, but this thread is to entertaining/interesting to get back to writing. Damn Chris if I will have to defend in september you will be one to blame. All this good Obsidian's games like KOTOR2, NWN2, MOTB, F:NV, AP, PoE it will be hard to play in them now, when I know what kind of shitty company Obsidian is. I know it's pretty stupid but I can't separate product from creator/publisher. With all this information you shared, you should finally answered on Codex ultimate question. What happened between you and Josh Sawyer? All users on Codex are dying to know the truth and create shitload of crazy theories. Enlighten us finally Chris. Please.
I doubt many game experiences would be improved by unfiltered behind the scenes access

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm really surprised that this didn't get more coverage from mainstream media like kotaku since they usually report studios drama

Reporting one man's allegations without verifying with another source or at least getting a comment from Obsidian might not reach sufficient journalistic standards for the higher tier sites (yes, believe it or not). If nobody from Obsidian is willing to talk, there might be nothing.

I'm sure a memo has gone out through everyone's shock collars at Obsidian that they are not to comment in any way.

+1 to the list of developers Codex is blacklisted at :obviously:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom