Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Quillon

Arcane
Just remembered Gonzalez's GDC talk, where Efens and Travis Stout(IIRC) was sitting next to him, talking very little. Must have been hard for Efens.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't remember the details very well, but I remember that interview overall because it stung that the man behind some of my favorite games was asked what his favorite obsidian game was and couldn't bring himself to say a single positive word about any of them

The infamous Sugarbombed Interview. Yeah, I remember that but still I wouldn't go as far as saying that it conveyed that he thought New Vegas was the worst. I think he's more likely to say that FO2 was the worst actually.

2house2fly

Magister
Only because he was more involved, and therefore more responsible for any given person not liking it

Grab the Codex by the pussy
While entertaining, a listing of Fenstermaker's many follies doesn't seem pertinent..? The guy acknowledges he's messed up, and going into detail in public comes across as lashing out because his feathers are obviously ruffled. Really now, an explanation for how "Chris wrote too much" shouldn't be pinned all on Chris is enough.
The "Chris wrote too much" criticism encapsulates all the envy and jealousy of the people involved in that toxic place. You can just as well complain that he makes everyone else looks bad because is much more talented and have impeccable work ethics. Eric's ridiculous excuse involving dialogue editor is even worse. I would expect something along the lines of "Avellone punched Feargus in the face and called him a disgusting chubby, and that's why we ignored him on Pillars" excuse. Anything less than that just reinforces the notion that they are bullies ganging up on one of the best guys in the genre. This is really disturbing on so many levels.

Last edited:

Imoens pet

Prospernaut
Shitposter
While entertaining, a listing of Fenstermaker's many follies doesn't seem pertinent..? The guy acknowledges he's messed up, and going into detail in public comes across as lashing out because his feathers are obviously ruffled. Really now, an explanation for how "Chris wrote too much" shouldn't be pinned all on Chris is enough.
The "Chris wrote too much" criticism encapsulates all the envy and jealousy of the people involved in that toxic place. You can just as well complain that he makes everyone else looks bad because is much more talented and have impeccable work ethics. His ridiculous excuse involving dialogue editor is even worse. I would expect something along the lines of "Avellone punched Feargus in the face and called him a disgusting chubby, and that's why we ignored him on Pillars" excuse. Anything less than that just reinforces the notion that they are bullies ganging upon one of the best guys in the genre. This is really disturbing on so many levels.

Fucks sake man, no matter how you look at it this shit is just fucked.

Harold

Arcane
Just when I thought I couldn't love Chris Avellone more than I already do, he finally goes ahead and unburdens his soul, creating an epic thread in the process.:salute:

I would like to bring to your attention something you may not be aware of. Over the past few weeks, Obsidian's community manager has started a Churche of Durance on twitter, photoshopping his face over all other PoE & PoE2 companions, case in point:

It's almost like he's making a statement, a sort of 'never forget', every day, just as PoE2 is nearing its launch.

Is he your mole on the inside, Chris?

Could that ska-loving fratboy secretly be #ourguy?

Also, with regards to this
Reading Chris Avellone's comments about the Gonzales/Fenstermaker beef

They seemed to be getting along ok during GDC 2010

Was all that just theater?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow that Sugarbombed interview throws some heavy punches at Feargus & co.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Chris Avellone, would you mind answering one question for me?

I don't remember whether any gossip or revelations have ever surfaced about this, but if there is one thing that completely boggles my mind about Obsidian's last 10 or so years, it's the Onyx Engine, and what happened to it. Obs kept touting all the time how they were making this brand new, sparkling in-house engine specifically suited for RPGs that would finally let them do all the things!!! and avoid all the bugs!!! since they'd be working top to bottom on their own code.

Then Onyx was finished and... I think only one game ran on it, which was Dungeon Siege 3? After which it was discontinued, with the official explanation being that iirc "all the middleware for it was too expensive to license/maintain" (tm)(c)(r), which to me sounds either like a crock of bollocks or (another) sign of abysmal management with no sense of foresight.

So in other words - what the hell really happened to the Onyx engine?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't remember whether any gossip or revelations have ever surfaced about this, but if there is one thing that completely boggles my mind about Obsidian's last 10 or so years, it's the Onyx Engine, and what happened to it. Obs kept touting all the time how they were making this brand new, sparkling in-house engine specifically suited for RPGs that would finally let them do all the things!!! and avoid all the bugs!!! since they'd be working top to bottom on their own code.

Then Onyx was finished and... I think only one game ran on it, which was Dungeon Siege 3? After which it was discontinued, with the official explanation being that iirc "all the middleware for it was too expensive to license/maintain" (tm)(c)(r), which to me sounds either like a crock of bollocks or (another) sign of abysmal management with no sense of foresight.

South Park also used it (although apparently that was a notorious technical mess)

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The "Chris wrote too much" criticism encapsulates all the envy and jealousy of the people involved in that toxic place. You can just as well complain that he makes everyone else looks bad because is much more talented and have impeccable work ethics. Eric's ridiculous excuse involving dialogue editor is even worse. I would expect something along the lines of "Avellone punched Feargus in the face and called him a disgusting chubby, and that's why we ignored him on Pillars" excuse. Anything less than that just reinforces the notion that they are bullies ganging up on one of the best guys in the genre. This is really disturbing on so many levels.
You two need a room?

Prime Junta

South Park also used it (although apparently that was a notorious technical mess)

It worked really well though, QA wise it was almost flawless as published. Only bumped into a couple of really minor issues.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Reeee is so nice having Chris posting so actively on the codex i feel like a teenager in a live concert of her favourite rock star!!! Yeah i am a Fan of Avellone work.. You Avellone always been a legend in my eyes i am sorry for what happened to you... And Obsidian if you read this i dare you to show your face in the codex but you will not because like all the most vile backstabbers you won't show your nose in places where torch and pitchfork awaits you
Come to us... Face the Inquisition!

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Peste

Arcane
DpZkRk4.gif

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Reeee is so nice having Chris posting so actively on the codex i feel like a teenager in a live concert of her favourite rock star!!! Yeah i am a Fan of Avellone work.. You Avellone always been a legend in my eyes i am sorry for what happened to you... And Obsidian if you read this i dare you to show your face in the codex but you will not because like all the most vile backstabbers you won't show your nose in places where torch and pitchfork awaits you
Come to us... Face the Inquisition!

giphy.gif

Imoens pet

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Augh trying to spread this to other places is hard. Most are quick to dismiss this website, but then again they're at fault for missing out on such a juicy story! Don't worry Chris we an't gonna let this die out!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member

Dungeon Siege 3 had great music/gfx, certainly better story/writing than any other Dungeon Turd game that came before but I remember the engine didn't quite get the basic functionality right. You would try to attack a mob and perhaps your character would indeed attack that mob - OR - your character would turn around and shoot a vase or some other destructible, environmental object instead. You had a mob targetted and there was this circle around their feet indicating "this is your current target". You'd press 3 to cast the fire pillar thingie and your char would cast the pillar out there in the distance with no enemies even close. We're talking about the basics here, your ability to attack the mob that you wanted to attack.

And somewhere in the project lead there was a guy in a decision maker position who saw this and said: Yes. This result of our software development efforts is acceptable. Let's keep it like this.

That's why they're called Obshitian.

tl;dr fuck the Onyx engine

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Shit I didn't check the thread for a day and it turned out to a spectacular drama show :lol:
Well, seriously fuck Obsidian
:mob:

polo

Magister
Oh my, just when i thought my cock couldn't get any bigger... Please Chris, give me more of that sweet sweet shitstorm.

2house2fly

Magister
I actually thought Gonzalez had been laid off, didn't know he quit. If it was because Fenstermaker is racist please don't say so or you might send support to his side...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom