Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Fry

Arcane
Anthony just said that a lot of Chris' post is inaccurate.

Can't be. Free your mind! Fight the conspiracy! MCA shall set you free!

1988They_Live_poster300.jpg

Azarkon

Arcane

What did people expect him to say? Chris Avellone is 100% right, Feargus is killing us over here, HELP!!?

All I know is, Obsidian's company reviews site consistently repeat a theme about the top management, and Chris's post is consistent with that theme. Beyond that, it's all just your words, my words. No one from Obsidian is going to come out and confirm what Chris said. It's just a piece in the puzzle that is becoming more obvious every day.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The truth is the reason for separation was a drunken fight between Fergus and Chris over the merits of the Cheesecake factory, and neither party is willing to admit it because of how embarrassing and high school the reasons behind these high and mighty adult decisions really are.

Latro

Arcane
The truth is the reason for separation was drunken fight between Fergus and Chris over the merits of the Cheesecake factory, and neither party is willing to admit it because of how embarrassing and high school the reasons behind these high and mighty adult decisions really are.
strawberry cheesecake or chocolate cheesecake? who gets to eat the brown bread? very tough decisions at obsidian entertainment

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's funny: When I read about or see the infamous Japanese face-saving and self-effacement rituals in the context of professional working environments, it all seems so alien to me.

Yet we have our own sets of interpersonal mechanisms that serve the same functions here in the West, and much like the Japanese, are blind to them unless some event suddenly brings them into the limelight. They're pretty much the same mechanisms, really, but all of the little cultural differences obfuscate the truth.

Close ranks, disavow, deflect, and deny, deny, deny. Anyone senior must save face at nearly any cost. The truth? Unimportant. It occurs to me that when law enforcement does this, people notice much more readily, which is understandable since they have police powers and the ability to meddle in everyone's business.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We've known about the Feargus problem for 20 years.

Lil' bitch Feargus:
You see your nephew, Feargus, crying about something as usual.

1-FO2_3_1.png

And perfidious Feargus:

8-FO2_29_4.png

Blaine, that's a good point. Face saving is very effective given the way people respond to authority. It's hard to command obedience when you're a punchline. No wonder it holds across cultures.

Still, far too few organizations realize that, while honesty may not be the best policy, it nevertheless has its uses.

Prime Junta

There are three different things here: the split, its causes, and how Obs handled it. I take issue with the last of these. The first two are necessarily going to be full Rashomon, especially the causes of the split, which must have developed over many years.

Latro

Arcane
someone ask anthony if cassie patel is single

Alas, she's married.
another one?!

there are no single women in game development...

Maybe you should trawl your local neighborhood bars instead of continuing to try to hit on female game developers by way of a message board that none of them would ever frequent (at least since Annie left). :)
can't do any of that, i'm catholic

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
There are three different things here: the split, its causes, and how Obs handled it. I take issue with the last of these. The first two are necessarily going to be full Rashomon, especially the causes of the split, which must have developed over many years.
Is there a reference video I can listen to while I work?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
someone ask anthony if cassie patel is single

Alas, she's married.
another one?!

there are no single women in game development...

Maybe you should trawl your local neighborhood bars instead of continuing to try to hit on female game developers by way of a message board that none of them would ever frequent (at least since Annie left). :)
can't do any of that, i'm catholic

I'd accept that if I didn't know so many catholics.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
It's for the best anyway. Any woman in the gaming industry with purple hair can't be good for a proper catholic man.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
WOW. Catholics are ok. I am one, per the communion ceremony.
Most of my family is catholic too. Like all people of all types, catholics can be ok or not ok. But someone being catholic in no way prevents them from trying to pick up women in a bar unless they truly subscribe to the no sex until marriage thing.

Having spent many years in the bible belt, I can safely say very few of those I've met do hold to that stance.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Well, if he lied then that's just monumentally stupid, not the least because it opens up for a libel case. It's not really like he is in a position of power here, he is a freelancer depending on his good name to get work. Shitting on previous employers in an untruthful manner just prior to an important release is not conductive to getting more freelance work...

Last edited:

Mustawd

WOW. Catholics are ok. I am one, per the communion ceremony.
Most of my family is catholic too. Like all people of all types, catholics can be ok or not ok. But someone being catholic in no way prevents them from trying to pick up women in a bar unless they truly subscribe to the no sex until marriage thing.

Having spent many years in the bible belt, I can safely say very few of those I've met do hold to that stance.

Yes. This encapsulates MOST Catholicis tbh.

Latro

Arcane
But someone being catholic in no way prevents them from trying to pick up women in a bar unless they truly subscribe to the no sex until marriage thing.

My friend. You've met him. It's this guy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Blaine, that's a good point. Face saving is very effective given the way people respond to authority. It's hard to command obedience when you're a punchline. No wonder it holds across cultures.

Still, far too few organizations realize that, while honesty may not be the best policy, it nevertheless has its uses.

I think what I find exasperating is that these people front like informal, relaxed, progressive, super with-it gaming nerds who appreciate the fans and even let the fans get in on the action a little bit, but then instantly transmogrify into conservative Japanese businessmen with their loaf loppers clenched tighter than an over-torqued lug nut whenever shit gets real or a dime is on the line.

Really underlines the fact that that superficial shit is just a set of lifestyle accessories.

I expect food packages at the store to pretend to be all-natural and wholesome and to imply that the food came from paradisiacal farms filled with animals who are over the moon to have the privilege of living in such a magical place, but food packages don't walk, talk, and try to sell me blinky-beepy things to play on my cam-pu-tor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom