Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP] Enlist in the Royal Dragoons! Codex plays Sabres of Infinity

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
3>2

Surely I can intercede on my men's behalf and find some better quarters for them!

You go to the quartermaster's office to attempt to find better quarters for your men. Unfortunately, it seems that every other officer with a substantial command in Noringia is doing the same. After waiting for the better part of a day, you reach the clerk at the desk.

Sadly, you are neither senior enough, nor prominent enough in the garrison to get better quarters for your men. Your troop take the news hard, but thankfully, do not take it out on you, as they seem to understand that you have tried your best to get them better quarters.

The men suffer through the winter in their wretched lodgings. Morale and discipline suffer.

-

Spring brings with it a renewed vitality, of sorts. While the men throw into their drills and evolutions with more vigour, they also seem to have the unfortunate habit of working out their energy through less acceptable outlets.

One afternoon, you are interrupted by Staff Sergeant Hernandes. He has brought one of your common Dragoons with him. With them are two burly line infantrymen with provost's armbands and a man in the garb of an Antari freeholder. Despite his inability to speak your language, the farmer manages to communicate, through with rough hand gestures, the message that he has some sort of grievance against your Dragoon.

The Antari farmer attempts to communicate through a rough pantomime. After a few undignified minutes, you seem to grasp his message.

It appears that your Dragoon has broken into the man's farm and killed the man's son in a knife fight! Your subordinate, of course, denies everything.

Unlike baneblooded officers like yourself, baneless enlisted men do not have the right to a court-martial. Instead, any disciplinary action is to be summarily ordered by their unit commander, namely: you.

What do you do?

I ask my staff sergeant for advice.

Staff Sergeant Hernandes glowers at the accused man. "We must m-make an example of him," he whispers in your ear. "Have him hanged, right now. P-prove to the men that violations of the King's Articles of War are to be punished with greatest severity."

1) Hang the man, examples must be made.
2) Have him pay recompense; six months' wages should do it.
3) A light punishment would be best: Have the guilty man on stable detail for two weeks.
4) Do nothing! I will not take the word of an enemy over that of one of my own men!

As of the Spring of the 605th year of the Old Imperial Era

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 325
Income: 10

Soldiering: 74%

Charisma: 40%

Intellect: 0%

Health: 75%

Idealism: 76% Cynicism: 24%

Ruthlessness: 41% Mercy: 59%

You have no decorations as of yet.

Sixth Troop, Third Squadron, Royal Dragoons
Senior NCO: Staff- Sergeant Hernandes

Discipline: 35%

Morale: 10%

Loyalty: 10%

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
4) We would take a world of enemy over our man? Where is the proof? The Freeholder can lie for plethora of reasons, and i think one of our Dragons would use sabre or riffle while going robbing the people and not risk his life in knife fight; Can we make inquiry over this? Look what is opinion among comrades and superiors is? Anyways if we have proof he is guilty or he is such bad apple we decide to throw him out its better 1) to hang him then use half mesures and leaving man who is pissed at us guarding our back.

So 4>1

Last edited:
With a brisk wave of your hand, you set the provosts to dragging off the impudent farmer. Your man gives you a gaptoothed grin, ignoring the struggling Antari as his foreign curses fade out of earshot.

Your men seem rather gratified that you have taken the word of your fellow soldier over that of some enemy rustic. You hear a rolling cheer as the acquitted Dragoon announces your decision to his fellows. Though their spirits are high, the men are more proud and impudent than before. It seems you have given them the impression that they can get away with anything.

The troops are more loyal than ever, but discipline suffers.

-

A year passes without incident. The men seem to finally be getting used to life as a part of a larger army. Although they are still stuck in Noringia on "reserve" duty, they have begun to train of their own initiative. Familiarity with your style of command and each other has bred both confidence and some small shreds of loyalty in these former thieves, gutter rats and thugs.

Only the changing seasons and the constant news from a front not quite two hundred kilometres away keeps you apprised of the passing of time.

The army seems to be locked into a state of constant stale-mate with its Antari foes. The League Congress' armies camp on the southern edge of the central plains, ready to destroy any Tierran force that marches out of the forest. Meanwhile, the Duke of Wulfram's regiments remain in the forests around Noringia, snapping up the ad-hoc force of any Antari Banelord foolish enough to send his men into the firmly Tierran-held forest.

-

Unfortunately, inaction has its own share of problems.

One day, after musketry practice, one of your sergeants approaches with what had once been one of your men's carbines in his hands. The weapon has been thoroughly wrecked. The steel tube of the barrel is blown wide open, the ruptured ends splayed out like a burst reed.

"The damn thing burst on firing sir. The lad got a face full of fragments. Healers say he'll be alright but this should have never happened in the first place."

You can't tell what had gone wrong exactly, but you have no doubt that the weapon was not made to regulations, after all, the Royal Army's firearms are supposed to be tested with triple charges before being shipped. No carbine should have burst after firing a normal load of ball and powder.

You grit your teeth. Corruption was common enough in the Ordnance Board, though this was likely to be mere penny-pinching. There is a good chance that your entire unit has been issued with these substandard weapons. Worse still, it would take months, if not years for replacements to be shipped. Even the Duke of Cunaris himself has the authority to pull new guns out of stores only if they are to replace broken ones. You would have to buy replacements for the rest, even those in danger of breaking, with your own funds.

In the end, you choose to:

1) Replace the burst gun and hope none of the others break so spectacularly.
2) Call an inspection and buy replacements for the carbines that seem the most decrepit.
3) Replace all the carbines in your troop with my own funds.

As of the Spring of the 606th year of the Old Imperial Era

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 445

Ruthlessness: 31% Mercy: 69%

Discipline: 30%

Morale: 25%

Loyalty: 25%

Kipeci

Arcane

Ouch, that discipline penalty. Well, we have a fair amount of cash so let’s see if we can afford that many guns... probably doesn’t help any stat if they think their guns will blow up in their faces.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, 2 would look like a reward for those who did not took care of their own rifles, getting a new one in the process. 3 is better.

Ouch, that discipline penalty.

We've lost 5% discipline and gained 15% both in morale and loyalty. I'd say it's a faire trade and worth a possible injustice.

Kipeci

Arcane
Well, 2 would look like a reward for those who did not took care of their own rifles, getting a new one in the process. 3 is better.

Ouch, that discipline penalty.

We've lost 5% discipline and gained 15% both in morale and loyalty. I'd say it's a faire trade and worth a possible injustice.
You’re right. I was thinking of earlier stats where we’d been at I think 55% discipline and thought the drop was all due to this, but that drop was more due to the flood of conscripts I think.

You immediately call for an equipment inspection. You spend the entire afternoon and evening going over every single carbine in detail.

The results are not encouraging.

Over a dozen weapons are in no shape whatsoever to be carried into combat. The defects range from worn barrels to fouled rifling to locks on the verge of snapping. Perhaps you should be grateful you have found the defective arms now instead of in the heat of combat. Regardless, it costs you some 15 crowns to have replacements commissioned and shipped in from Tierra.

-

As the new year begins, Noringia begins to buzz with more than the normal crop of political conjecture and personal gossip: rumour begins to spread that some hot-headed Antari lordling is gathering an army to throw the King's forces into the sea. Not only that, but it is said that his army would be bigger than any previously faced and that the North has been stripped bare of fighting men to fill its ranks. Even more excitingly, it is said that the Duke of Wulfram is gathering a substantial number of the King's regiments to not only throw back the impending Antari offensive, but to do so in a way as to end the war by the autumn harvest.

One summer day, as you approach the entrance to the Duke of Cunaris's office to hand in your weekly report, you see another man stumble out of the door. He wears the grey-green and red of your regiment and the the three gold pips of a captain on his shoulder. He seems in a fearful state. Aside from his conspicuously new tunic, his uniform is splattered with the dust of hard riding and what appears to be dried blood.

As you approach the officer to greet him, you recognize him with a start: he is none other than Elson!

-

His face is newly lined, scarred and covered with summer dust, but the features are unmistakeable. Taller, slimmer and more confident since last you saw him four years ago, you see the light of recognition flare in his eyes as he sees you.

Captain Elson approaches, his hand extended in greeting.

"Ah, Ortiga, I see you've made something of yourself in the past few years."

You take his hand, and the two of you shake politely, your expressions civil, but not overly friendly.

"Tell me, fellow, are you and your men in the mood for some blade work?"

-

You ask for details. Elson gladly obliges.

"We ran into some Antari two days back, maybe three or four hundred of them, a big group. We threw everything we had at them and fought them back, but they bloodied us just as well as we chastised them. I've just gotten permission to call out the reserve, that's you by the way, to reinforce the squadron so I can go back north and finish the poor fellows off while they're still reeling."

You look up at your friend with confusion. "Shouldn't Captain Montez be leading the squadron?" Elson answers with a sad shake of his head.

"Montez is dead," he breathes. "An Antari lance got him in the chest when we closed into a melee." His expression turns gentle for a moment. "It was quick, a good death," he says, his voice barely a whisper. "As the lieutenant with most seniority, I was called to replace him. His Grace just gave my commission a minute ago. Third Squadron is my command now."

-

Elson turns to you, his expression serious.

"So fellow, I shall finally have a chance to fight alongside the compleat soldier himself. Do you think you and your men are up to it?"

You do a quick assessment of the men under your command. Ultimately, you can conclude that your troop is acceptably disciplined, decently steady, and barely trustworthy.

You meet Elson's gaze and reply:

1) "My men stand as ready as they'll ever be. They won't disappoint you."
2) "They are a bit rough, but they'll do a soldier's work well enough."
3) "They could stand a fair bit of work. I can offer no guarantees."
4) "They're a right awful mess. Not much use, I'm afraid."

As of the Summer of the 607th year of the Old Imperial Era

Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 550

Ruthlessness: 31% Mercy: 69%

Discipline: 30%

Morale: 25%

Loyalty: 25%

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom