Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Battletech
http://steamspy.com/app/637090
Owners: 500,000 .. 1,000,000

Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition
http://steamspy.com/app/346940
Owners: 500,000 .. 1,000,000
well steamspy is even less accurate than before.

the only data we have is the frostpunk 250k copies and both games are comparables in numbers.
Frostpunk is also in 500,000 .. 1,000,000 category according to Steamspy.
Yes it is inaccurate, but still manages to give some sense of scale.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Keep hiding behind your rating buttons, Infinitron. Obviously, people like me who've actually played classic BattleTech can't be trusted. There's literally nothing else you could do to bypass me, such as read a digital copy of the rules yourself, ask your disingenuous question on one of any number of tabletop gaming discussion boards, use a search engine to find videos of tabletop BattleTech being played, et cetera. Funny thing: You're extremely good at finding answers when they're answers you actually want to find.

Nope, there's clearly nothing you could possibly do to learn the answer to this question. You've done all you could.

I don't know what you want from me dude, it's not like I've been crusading for Harebrained Schemes in this thread. I made an honest remark.

If I had to say something in favor of them, it would be this. This game = Shadowrun Returns, original release. It represents Harebrained starting from scratch. Seems a lot of people have forgotten how controversial that initial release of Shadowrun was. Bad campaign. No save/load functionality. No stealth. DRM drama. A lot of people wrote them off as shovelware con artists, but their 180 with Dragonfall was so rapid that it was all washed away. This is a larger scale sort of game so I'd guess things won't be as rapid now, but it's good news that the game is going to receive updates. If you rated that post negatively you're a dummy.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've really come to despise retarded fanboys crying about muh lait mecs not being useful...
I can't write a wall of text explaining this, but from walls-o-text that I've skimmed, it seems to be rooted in the fact that light mechs are useful through all stages of BT using the PnP rules. So light mechs being useless late-game in HBS's BT is seen a proxy for their inability to translate the TT rules to their game in a way that captures all the tactical nuance of the source material.
It is more to do with the fact that there is no reason to use light 'mechs EVER in the campaign game because you start with mediums. It is like a 1d2 weapon in DnD.
I used one Light mech for a long while in my run. First used a Spider and then switched to Jenner that I used for a long while. I used a Scanner/Evasion Pilot for it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The big deciding factor is what KIND of missions you are running into. In most computer games, running out of ammo is not a big problem. There isn't all that many things to shoot at. That is why Clan 'mechs are notoriously BAD at prolonged campaigns. Their warfare is all about individual fights, basically multiplayer one-on-one. In MW2M, for example, it would be pretty rare to run out of ammo for any of the procedurally generated missions. Only when you have to take down massively armoured things like DropShips or buildings would you run into ammo issues (if you are crazy enough to use ammo on stationary targets that don't shoot back, that is...). This HBS game doesn't sound like ammo would be a problem. Now, if you play something like Crescent Hawks' Revenge, on the other hand, where you can go on multiple stages of one massive mission with no resupply, then yes, it would be a major issue. Or if you are playing MechCommander, where ammo comes fixed and there is no way you can increase the ammo load, and there are dozens of targets all over the map.
I can tell you from playing this game that for my LRM15 carrier I had to equip 3 packets of LRM ammo (each costing 1 ton) and for AC10 you need to carry two packs of ammo (again each is 1 ton) and for AC20 you will need 3 packs of ammo at least. Even for AC5 and one pack of ammo you can run out in some more rare situations. Only AC2 can work safely on one pack of ammo and even you can use 2x AC2 with 1 pack of ammo for shorter missions.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

jess from online. jewish lesbian. leftist. dev. i write music and ☭ agitprop
1f3f4.png

I suspect trans looking at the pic.

Cael

Arcane
It is more to do with the fact that there is no reason to use light 'mechs EVER in the campaign game because you start with mediums. It is like a 1d2 weapon in DnD.
I used one Light mech for a long while in my run. First used a Spider and then switched to Jenner that I used for a long while. I used a Scanner/Evasion Pilot for it.
Means nothing. I can use a 1d2 weapon in DnD also. Doesn't mean it is the best or most efficient for the task.

Cael

Arcane
The big deciding factor is what KIND of missions you are running into. In most computer games, running out of ammo is not a big problem. There isn't all that many things to shoot at. That is why Clan 'mechs are notoriously BAD at prolonged campaigns. Their warfare is all about individual fights, basically multiplayer one-on-one. In MW2M, for example, it would be pretty rare to run out of ammo for any of the procedurally generated missions. Only when you have to take down massively armoured things like DropShips or buildings would you run into ammo issues (if you are crazy enough to use ammo on stationary targets that don't shoot back, that is...). This HBS game doesn't sound like ammo would be a problem. Now, if you play something like Crescent Hawks' Revenge, on the other hand, where you can go on multiple stages of one massive mission with no resupply, then yes, it would be a major issue. Or if you are playing MechCommander, where ammo comes fixed and there is no way you can increase the ammo load, and there are dozens of targets all over the map.
I can tell you from playing this game that for my LRM15 carrier I had to equip 3 packets of LRM ammo (each costing 1 ton) and for AC10 you need to carry two packs of ammo (again each is 1 ton) and for AC20 you will need 3 packs of ammo at least. Even for AC5 and one pack of ammo you can run out in some more rare situations. Only AC2 can work safely on one pack of ammo and even you can use 2x AC2 with 1 pack of ammo for shorter missions.
Again, means nothing especially the 1 ton remark. ALL ammo comes in 1 ton slot other than MG, which can have 0.5 ton lot.

You also aren't telling us how efficiently you are using your ammo based weapons. If you are firing at maximum extreme range, then you failing to hit and wasting shots, which means you have to carry more ammo. The way that you are grouping them in approximately 20 shot/weapon for the longer ranged weapons and less for the short range one indicates to me that this is the case. Noob mistake.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Means nothing. I can use a 1d2 weapon in DnD also. Doesn't mean it is the best or most efficient for the task.
You said there is no reason to use a Light at all, I disagree and used my experience of the game to prove it. That Jenner was just as useful as a medium mechs I had at the time. Lights become useless once you got top mediums and heavies but they are not useless from the start.

Cael

Arcane
You said there is no reason to use a Light at all, I disagree and used my experience of the game to prove it. That Jenner was just as useful as a medium mechs I had at the time. Lights become useless once you got top mediums and heavies but they are not useless from the start.
You just admitted that it was useless because the light was basically there as you didn't have a medium on hand to plug the gap. There was no reason to choose the light over the medium if given the choice.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Again, means nothing especially the 1 ton remark. ALL ammo comes in 1 ton slot other than MG, which can have 0.5 ton lot.

You also aren't telling us how efficiently you are using your ammo based weapons. If you are firing at maximum extreme range, then you failing to hit and wasting shots, which means you have to carry more ammo. The way that you are grouping them in approximately 20 shot/weapon for the longer ranged weapons and less for the short range one indicates to me that this is the case. Noob mistake.
You said running out of ammo is not a problem and I proved differently because I did run out of ammo using default settings for MECHs. I explained which situations those are and how I had to sacrifice something to pack more ammo so I don't run out of it.
That is directly opposite of what you claim. Ammo does matter and you have to make sacrifices to make sure you don't run out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You just admitted that it was useless because the light was basically there as you didn't have a medium on hand to plug the gap. There was no reason to choose the light over the medium if given the choice.
Are you retarded? you said you don't need lights from the start of the campaign, I just proved that is not true. I didn't say at any point Lights are useful through whole game and can be used all the time. Make up your mind (or read your own posts again if you got a gold fish level memory).

Cael

Arcane
You said running out of ammo is not a problem and I proved differently because I did run out of ammo using default settings for MECHs. I explained which situations those are and how I had to sacrifice something to pack more ammo so I don't run out of it.
That is directly opposite of what you claim. Ammo does matter and you have to make sacrifices to make sure you don't run out.
Son, if you spray and pray, I can give you all the ammo you want, and you will still run out. The only saving grace seems to be a dumbass AI who charges right at you, giving you a more favourable to-hit target before you run out of ammo.

Now, if you are telling me that you needed 15 HITS from a AC20 to complete the mission, plus 20+ HITS from all your LRM15, AC5, AC2 and whatever other ballistic weapons you have, then I'll give you the point.

I would LOVE to run into a you in a TT game, because you are the easiest noob to kill: the kind that runs out of ammo shooting at ghosts.

Cael

Arcane
Are you retarded? you said you don't need lights from the start of the campaign, I just proved that is not true. I didn't say at any point Lights are useful through whole game and can be used all the time. Make up your mind (or read your own posts again if you got a gold fish level memory).
No, I said it was the equivalent of a 1d2 weapon in DnD. When you START with a 1d2 weapon, well, guess what? You have to use it. However, it doesn't mean that the 1d2 weapon is any GOOD.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Son, if you spray and pray, I can give you all the ammo you want, and you will still run out. The only saving grace seems to be a dumbass AI who charges right at you, giving you a more favourable to-hit target before you run out of ammo.

Now, if you are telling me that you needed 15 HITS from a AC20 to complete the mission, plus 20+ HITS from all your LRM15, AC5, AC2 and whatever other ballistic weapons you have, then I'll give you the point.

I would LOVE to run into a you in a TT game, because you are the easiest noob to kill: the kind that runs out of ammo shooting at ghosts.
In many missions you fight vs static enemies, why engage them when you can sensor lock them and fire 30 missiles per turn at them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, I said it was the equivalent of a 1d2 weapon in DnD. When you START with a 1d2 weapon, well, guess what? You have to use it. However, it doesn't mean that the 1d2 weapon is any GOOD.
It is good when your other options is 1d4 weapon and the guy wielding 1d2 can mark your enemies from very long range so your 1d4 weapons can get some early shots and is almost impossible to hit and causes enemies to waste turns on them. Once your other weapons do 1d8 then 1d2 weapon other benefits no longer outweigh its cons.

Cael

Arcane
In many missions you fight vs static enemies, why engage them when you can sensor lock them and fire 30 missiles per turn at them.
I believe I made a comment about fucktards using ammo based weapons on stationary, heavily armoured targets in a previous post. Why don't you look it up?

Cael

Arcane
It is good when your other options is 1d4 weapon and the guy wielding 1d2 can mark your enemies from very long range so your 1d4 weapons can get some early shots and is almost impossible to hit and causes enemies to waste turns on them. Once your other weapons do 1d8 then 1d2 weapon other benefits no longer outweigh its cons.
And there it is the reason why you need that much ammo. Long range + indirect fire. QED.

Alpharius

Scholar
Lights are useless as soon as you get mediums, mediums are useless as soon as you get heavies, heavies are useless as soon as you get assaults. Only exception being that not all mechs can be turned into LRM boats and some mechs are just garbage (like Cicada and Banshee). So i briefly had to use LRM boat centurion when i didn't have any appropriate heavy\assaults to boat LRM, then i replaced it with a Highlander.

As for ammo, 5 shots per weapon were enough for me in late game. In early game, when i didn't have ~90% accuracy on every shot, maybe 10 shots tops.

Last edited:

Lord Andre

Arcane
No use arguing with this retard ArchAngel , he thinks he's the ultimate TT Battletech master. Some of us that are actually familiar with the game can tell that half the shit he says is just his own headcanon, nothing to do with actual mechanics. Autists gonna' autist I suppose.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And there it is the reason why you need that much ammo. Long range + indirect fire. QED.
Indirect fire works well in this game. I got 85% hit chance with my specialized guy.

Cael

Arcane
Lights are useless as soon as you get mediums, mediums are useless as soon as you get heavies, heavies are useless as soon as you get assaults. Only excpetion being that not all mechs can be turned into LRM boats and some mechs are just garbage (like Cicada and Banshee). So i briefly had to use LRM boat centurion when i didn't have any appropriate heavy\assaults to boat LRM, then i replaced it with a Highlander.

As for ammo, 5 shots per weapon were enough for me in late game. In early game, maybe 10 shots tops.
He needs that many shots because:
1. He is trying to take out bunkers with them instead of saving them for real threats and just using the unlimited energy weapons.
2. He is firing from the worst possible combinations of to-hit values praying for a hit.

Both of these are obvious from the little bit of tactical... well, I won't call it knowledge, let's just call it tactical action. Both of these were obvious from the little tactical actions I managed to drag out of him. I am betting that he is one of those noobs who fire everything at a target within range unless overheated, regardless of accuracy and chances to-hit.

Now, to a more interesting topic: The Banshee is on the same level as the Charger: Over-engined monstrosities that are acknowledged to BE over-engined monstrosities in canon BTech. In fact, the 3025 TRO has lower speed variants of both with a far more impressive weapons array and blurbs saying how much better loved they were by their pilots.

The Cicada is basically an enlarged Locust, and that was the intention of the designers behind it. Double the weight, double the firepower, same speed. It has the same role as the Locust in TT, but with the same armour, it is better to just go with 2 Locust. Unsurprisingly, the MadCaps love it...

Cael

Arcane
No use arguing with this retard ArchAngel , he thinks he's the ultimate TT Battletech master. Some of us that are actually familiar with the game can tell that half the shit he says is just his own headcanon, nothing to do with actual mechanics. Autists gonna' autist I suppose.
At least I don't have to resort to lies about my opponent in order to try and "win". Tsk, tsk, tsk. Still waiting for the proof of your accusations, boy. Put up or shut up.

Cael

Arcane
Indirect fire works well in this game. I got 85% hit chance with my specialized guy.
If someone else needs less than HALF the ammo you require, there is something you aren't telling us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom