Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I got an idea for his company name, given his success as a stretch goal: Aveloan Games.

Cross

Arcane
I don’t think Paradox was ever fully aware the Tyranny team had been gutted (in general, publishers don’t like hearing the resources they’re paying for they aren’t getting).
I'm sure they'll appreciate reading this then. :lol:

And when we question how it paid off, that’s a good question - because who reaped the benefits of PST’s development challenges? It wasn’t Interplay, the company who had asked for the game in the first place and needed a return on its investment in the license. inXile certainly reaped the benefit, many, many years later, when the game was regarded as a cult classic that deserved (?) a sequel. Yes, I put a question mark there (not a slam against inXile, but it was good they took the general “Torment” premise vs. doing a direct sequel to Planescape Torment). I will say for crowdsourcing 13-14 years later, it definitely paid off
How does he not know how hard T:ToN bombed? Or was this part of the interview done before it came out?

In Durance and Grieving Mother's case - and this I can say - the Creative Lead told me after my departure that the Project Lead had interfered but didn't specify the reasons. I don't even know what the reasons were
:whatisfun:

There were other people who apparently didn’t like Durance’s swearing (easy fix), and the original tie in the GM and Durance backstories were they had violated each other physically and mentally and that’s what broke both of them, which I then cut
So much for that highly touted freedom from publishers that they said would allow them to explore mature subject matter.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012...all-star-effort-to-revive-the-classic-pc-rpg/
Being free of publisher constraints and things like the ESRB ratings system will also allow the game to delve into more mature subject matter that fantasy worlds normally ignore, Sawyer said. Things like "slavery, hostile prejudice (racial, cultural, spiritual, sexual), drug use and trade, and so on" will all help flesh out the story and add a believable core to the highly fictional world, he said.

"I think the reason a lot of fantasy storylines feel hollow is because we don't treat the worlds like real places nor the characters in them like real people. I believe the existence of fantastic elements is an opportunity to ask, 'How would this change things?' When we see how the fantastic changes our reality, and how it does not, I think it can help us consider why we are the way we are."

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So much for that highly touted freedom from publishers that they said would allow them to explore mature subject matter.

I was reading the comic "Hawkwood, as in the actual Sir John Hawkwood, captain of the mercenary band White Company. And in one chapter the company loots a French village for provisions. While looting, they naturally rape the women. The main protagonist casually strolls by the street whilst his soldiers are having their bit of fun.

The comic didn't stop to lecture the reader about how wrong this is, the rapists didn't get punished and Hawkwood himself didn't give a damn. Men were killed, women were raped and the villagers probably all starved. Company rode on and got rewarded for their efforts.

Could you ever imagine something like that happening in a fantasy RPG? Nobody has the balls.

Bohr

Arcane
Interesting interview, thanks. Don't have the autistic stamina to delve back into the old poe threads but it seems some of the speculation going around back then... was in the right ballpark at least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Additionally someone (not me of course) should post this on SA to get the goon reaction to "Josh Sawyer pulled rank and messed with Durance and Grieving Milf, but was too much of a coward to criticize Chris directly to his face."

Goon response, starting with the usual suspect: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807509&pagenumber=523#post483634929

qfHPLC5.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Retard on a forum: It's bad form to hear only one side of an argument
Sane person: It's an interview
Retard on a forum: Waaaaah

Grab the Codex by the pussy

...that's it?

How is this the same studio that developed South Park: The Stick of Truth...
Remember that Ubisoft developers trashed Obsidian publically saying that when the game end up in their hands it was not like a South Park game at all and that they had change a lot of stuff. I would include swearing in the middle, that's for sure. Political correctness is a bitch. Or maybe it was just jealousy.

Septaryeth

Augur
Fair's fair, maybe MCA did wrote some characters that require too much resources to have their story completely play out.
But cutting them all down to bare dialogues... and he said he was only told after he finished the task and left?
Good luck seeing either of Gm or Durance in PoE2 I suppose!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fairfax wish you could ask Chris Avellone how his role as one of the owner/founder of the studio could led to such situations as the one described in the PoE development.
He's mentioned elsewhere that he didn't really have much power as an owner/creative director. The smallest big fish.

Like he mentioned in this interview that Urquhart and Parker went to bat for Sawyer even though they didn't read Avellone's work or necessarily understand what exactly Josh's problem was. That's two owners against him.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
He's mentioned elsewhere that he didn't really have much power as an owner/creative director. The smallest big fish.

It seems to me he just didn't want to be a "boss", and the small fish was self-imposed. He could probably "force" his vision... but he decided not to because he's too nice.
Thats why the appeal for someone to write down a clear hierarchy (someone ELSE, not him).
I am speculating ofcourse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom