Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment [PS:T] What do you think of Curst?

Silva

Arcane
Funny that Ive never paid much attention to Curst in my previous playthroughs, but now trying the enhanced edition I went slow, taking my time with it and I've found it pretty cool in a Fallouty/Mad Max way. Come on, look at this guard..

CurstGuard.jpg

It's almost an apocalyptic Transformers! :lol:

The city is surprisingly immersive and atmospheric. The landscape, ambient sound, NPCs, quests etc. all mesh together into this harsh/cutt-throat fallouty whole that's pretty exotic for a fantasy game (I almost pictured Lord Humungus as the town leader). I'm intrigued on why I never gave the place much thought until now. Maybe it's the enhanced edition zoomed out graphics that brought the city to life? Or perhaps the fact I always felt down for the shift in tone of narrative that goes from "everything about you/your condition" in Sigil to your typical "external sponsors-based fetch quests" in Curst.

So, what do you guys think of Curst? An interesting RPG city, or just another Mad Maxiesque piece of crap?

Last edited:

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
I liked Curst, a lot. But it is also where the game started to feel rushed. Sigil was fleshed out by all the little sidequests which added to the story and the setting one way or another. By comparison, Curst hands out huge amounts of xp for a handful of menial tasks.

But yeah, the art is pretty good. I also liked the concept of it being a border town in the neutral planes which could slide over to either side depending on what alignment holds the most influence.

Prime Junta

It would've been a very good area in any other game. After Sigil, I was disappoint.

Dux

Arcane
The latter part of PS:T - Curst included - shows signs of fatigue, in my opinion. It's still good but perhaps not as good as one would've hoped. Sigil spoils you.

Ocelot570

Educated
It was definitely a cool place to go with great ideas as well as atmosphere, but it just started to get slow and menial at that point. The game was rushed at that point, and Sigil was just so cool that Curst fails to compare to it.

frajaq

Erudite
Loved the entire rusty metal design of the place, like the guard in the OP
Shitty quests aside I really liked the place

Fuck Planescape was a good setting

Neanderthal

Arcane
The entrance to the underworld in the dump trivialised the betrayal quests that gave you the key, that should have not been in.
I wanted to find the stash of shit Grimscalp the Anarchist knicked from me, as mentioned in Bones of Night.
Should have been an option to infiltrate/legally enter the prison.

Few more minor grumbles but overall i'd say it was a good hub, now Baator that was a fucking travesty and totally wasted opportunity.

kintake

Savant
The entrance to the underworld in the dump trivialised the betrayal quests that gave you the key, that should have not been in.
First time I played the game I went down that entrance as the first thing I did, I didn't even know all the content I missed out on til my second playthrough, so I wholly agree with you there.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Loved it.

Only reason it fails is by comparison(s). It's a bit sad that it's introduced as part of the increasingly railroaded experience starts taking place, and like others have commented, compared to much of the game it starts showing signs of fatigue and being rushed.

I fully realize that it's an absurd desire in a game the scope and quality of Planescape, but had Curst been more of a hub and closer to the narrative size/exploration of Sigil itself, the pacing of Planescape would've felt so much better, because it would mean that you're basically "settling down" after a "railroaded" section. But then again, if this were the case, Curst tying together and representing the Outlands and Carceri, I'd probably sit here and wish that some part of the Mounting Heavens of Celestia would've been represented in the game. There's always something more, something that could be better, something that isn't perfect. C'est la vie, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom