Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Naesaki

Novice
http://www.dlsite.com/soft/work/=/product_id/VJ009178.html this the link for it.

Geofront's translation patch can be applied to the psp ver, the chinese pc release and the japanese pc release. I also believe it could be applied to the evo version on the vita.

https://imgur.com/a/ra5u4 there is a link to the last beta patch in here as well.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hope leads to disappointment with that translation patch, those percentages are untrustworthy.

Also holy hell that is way more Sharon than I ever expected to see

Naesaki

Novice
Well they had finished the translation late last year, right now though they are basically just going through it with a fine tooth comb to edit and fix any errors and the like.

So it is technically 100% translated now. Its just not available for download yet.

I believe they said, overall, that they are 60% done now and are still hoping to be done by middle of summer.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
g9ATFlY.png
Now that's some awesome looking dragon.

Deleted member 7219

Naesaki

Novice
http://www.dlsite.com/soft/work/=/product_id/VJ009178.html this the link for it.

Geofront's translation patch can be applied to the psp ver, the chinese pc release and the japanese pc release. I also believe it could be applied to the evo version on the vita.

https://imgur.com/a/ra5u4 there is a link to the last beta patch in here as well.

Tried using my MasterCard credit card and my Visa debit, both were declined.

Oh well.

Hmmm... I was able to use my visa debit with no issue.

Did you attempt to make a purchase as a guest or with an account. As far as I'm aware as long as you log in with an account you should be able to use your card no problem but if doing it as a guest it throws up an error.

A user in the falcom subreddit did make this little image guide https://imgur.com/a/x9TS1 that might be of some help.

Deleted member 7219

Tried using my MasterCard credit card and my Visa debit, both were declined.

Oh well.

Hmmm... I was able to use my visa debit with no issue.

Did you attempt to make a purchase as a guest or with an account. As far as I'm aware as long as you log in with an account you should be able to use your card no problem but if doing it as a guest it throws up an error.

A user in the falcom subreddit did make this little image guide https://imgur.com/a/x9TS1 that might be of some help.

That worked, thanks for the tip!

Naesaki

Novice
No problem. Now the wait for geofront to be done with the final editing of their translation patch. Though the current beta patch is passable, or so I've been told anyway.

Naesaki

Novice
I wouldn't ruin the first experience with a barebones version :love:

Yeah thats what I've been telling myself to resist the urge to play, given how long we've waited for other parts of the franchise this kind of wait is nothing, haha!

I've still got Darkest Dungeon, God of War, Ni No Kuni II, Atelier Lydie and Suelle to occupy my time.. oh and a ridiculously modded Skyrim.

Deleted member 7219

Yeah I bought it for the sale, waiting for the translation patch to be finished so it can be as close to XSEED quality as possible.

Naesaki

Novice
There is also another team/members of the same team (honestly not sure which) currently translating Ao no Kiseki / Trails to Azure (I believe the general translation is 85% done but thats still really the beginning stages, since you have all the editing and quality testing stages) but given there's only really the japanese psp release or a DRM-heavy filled chinese pc release. I can see that one being a bit more awkward, although I suppose if there is a decent iso for the psp emulator that would be a way around that issue I guess.

Deleted member 7219

Geofront hasn't been updated for a while now. I'm hoping the next update comes soon and that it will be at 80%.

They've said that they've improved other things, not just the translation but assets and performance as well. Really looking forward to it.

I've installed the Japanese version of Trails from Zero - I was momentarily confused by the fact that extracting the setup files also places a copy of the .exe and config in the same folder. I installed the game and tried running the .exe from the setup folder and it crashed. It worked when I actually ran it from C:\FALCOM.

My machine doesn't have Japanese text installed so everything looks garbled. I ran it once to check it all worked. Got past the opening bits of dialogue, ran around for a few seconds, then I quit the game. Waiting for the translation to be finished now.

Naesaki

Novice
I've installed the Japanese version of Trails from Zero - I was momentarily confused by the fact that extracting the setup files also places a copy of the .exe and config in the same folder. I installed the game and tried running the .exe from the setup folder and it crashed. It worked when I actually ran it from C:\FALCOM.

I was really confused by this as well, I launched it from the folder it created where the installer was and just no matter what i did I was getting no sound at all.

It was only when I reinstalled it thinking i botched the installation that I even noticed it was also installing to the C:\ drive.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Git gud :positive:

Seriously though, if you find the enemies difficult to avoid in TiTS, it's only an issue in the beginning. Very soon into the game you'll get Eagle Eye quartz which lets you see enemies far away and also shows them in the mini map. This makes it much easier to avoid them. Later in the game (at the end of Chapter 1, if you didn't miss too many BPs), you get Haze quartz which makes you completely invisible to enemies so you don't have to worry about them chasing you for the rest of the game. And even before you get Haze, it's not that hard to avoid enemies if you just slow down a bit and run past them once their back is turned.

As for the combat speed, it should be completely non-issue with the turbo mode if slowness is a problem for you. Combat gets progressively better as the game goes on as you get more party members, abilities, spells and tactics to use. Encounters also get more complex. TiTS 2 and 3 also have even better combat (encounters) too.

Alkarl

Learned
I have been trying to get into this series. Still stuck at Trails in the Sky FC, not very far in.

I had some questions for you, more refined, gentlemen:

So, Trails appears to be a sub-series of Legend of Heroes, are all of the games connected? Only the Trails games? All of TLoH games? Or only some of the sub-series/main series?

What is the main pull of the series, and how would you characterize it?

I've been told it's the dialogue system from some and the combat from others, but I'm also playing Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time atm, and, imo, that game is so superior in just about every way while also being quite similar to TitS FC. Mysterious Protagonist (although I guess the girl is more the actual protagonist in TitS?), Equipable Magic System, even the combat system is comparable, though Growlanser is obviously closer to rtwp :negative:

Anyway, really wanting to break into this series. I actually rather enjoyed TLoH 2, Prophecy of the Witch or whatever it was called. At least what I played of it way back when on my psp.

My main problem right now is that I haven't really hit that narrative hook. So far, I'm playing what amounts to a couple of goofy kids taking up their first part-time job cleaning sewers and running errands. It's not terrible, and it has a certain charm, but it isn't really holding me either.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
All the Trails games are connected ie. every game since TiTS FC. They take place in the same setting and have some recurring character between the story arcs. The earlier LoH games are unrelated.

As for TiTS FC, almost everyone seems to have the same experience: it feels like nothing happens at the start and it seems meh but they get hooked later. The story really picks up pace when 'men in black' start appearing more frequently, which is about at he halfway mark (TiTS FC is the shortest game in the series). If you still don't see the appeal around Chapter 3, it's probably not a series for you.

And to quote my previous post:

Combat gets progressively better as the game goes on as you get more party members, abilities, spells and tactics to use. Encounters also get more complex. TiTS 2 and 3 also have even better combat (encounters) too.

Trails games work the same way as Baldur's Gate for example, meaning that the next game starts at the same level as the previous ended and you have all the abilities from the previous game right from the start. So, in the later games the combat is more complex from the start since you aren't restricted to one or two abilities in the beginning.

Naesaki

Novice
I always look at Sky FC and SC as that it is one whole game its just the sheer scope of it split it into two games.
In that SC does literally take place 5 minutes later.

FC is very slow and does take some perseverance and like Somberlain says I would also agree that around Chapter 3 is when you'll get a good idea of whether you want to continue but it is genuinely a series that deserves a lot more love, so I do personally think its well worth it to keep going as you are in for some very pleasant surprises.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom