Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic VII turn-based combat question

the_shadow

Arcane
I've just started M&M VII and am a bit confused by the turn-based combat because it's not explained well in the manual. My main question is how do you know which character is selected to attack/act during combat? Sometimes two or three of the portraits will go yellow around the edges (which means each character will attempt a ranged attack), but no indication is given as to who will go first. Intuitively I feel that only the character who has the next attack will have their portrait highlighted...

the_shadow

Arcane
Actually, I'm noticing that even PC's whose portrait in yellow in turn-based combat can sometimes hit with melee weapons. So there is no definite indication of who will attack next, and whether they will attack with a melee or missile weapon?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm starting it too. What's the formula for hitting/missing with spells?

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
1. Make sure every character can use a bow or a good magic spell
2. Become powerful
3. Hold down the attack button and run away when enemies get close then turn around
4. Profit

Citizen

2. Become powerful
3. Hold down the attack button and run away when enemies get close then turn around
4. Profit

FLYING + AREA DAMAGE SPELLS = EXPERIENCE THE BEST FPS EVER MADE

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm starting it too. What's the formula for hitting/missing with spells?
in mm6 spells that could miss were using your accuracy + skill in magic school.
It is different from spells with chance to hit, like instant kill, that not only got built in percentage but are also subject to magic resistance

I assume its similar in mm7... Didnt bother to learn mechanics as it was designed around invis spell...
Frankly I have a feeling I miss when I don't have my mouse pointed very accurately at mobs and push the auto-cast button.

the_shadow

Arcane
2. Become powerful
4. Profit

Is it possible to buy ranged weapons? Sounds like a dumb question, but both of the weapons stores I've went to only have melee weapons, and they don't change their inventories over time.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
2. Become powerful
4. Profit

Is it possible to buy ranged weapons? Sounds like a dumb question, but both of the weapons stores I've went to only have melee weapons, and they don't change their inventories over time.
Yeah, I fitted 3 characters with bows before leaving the first island. Upgraded to better bows in the first village after the island.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
2. Become powerful
4. Profit

It's been probably 10-15 years since I played the might and magic games but I remember for sure you can buy ranged weapons, not sure if you can get any on emerald island though if they don't have any. I seem to remember weapons stores being randomly generated but I might be wrong .

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A guy gave me a quest to find what happened to his nephew or something, telling me he was an avid arcomage player. I thought it was a hint that I'd find a deck there on his body. I found his ring in a chest, but no deck. I turned in the quest and got a 5k gold reward, but no deck.

Where's the deck? I don't want a spoiler, just give me a hint.

the_shadow

Arcane
2. Become powerful
4. Profit

It's been probably 10-15 years since I played the might and magic games but I remember for sure you can buy ranged weapons, not sure if you can get any on emerald island though if they don't have any. I seem to remember weapons stores being randomly generated but I might be wrong .

I'm not sure about Emerald Island, but you can't buy and train in bows in Harmondale, you need to go to the Elven provinces where you can not only buy them, but find at least a couple of Elven Bows just lying on the ground.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
2. Become powerful
4. Profit

FLYING + AREA DAMAGE SPELLS = EXPERIENCE THE BEST FPS EVER MADE
Have four wizards with grand mastery in air and sparks.

Might and Magic? More like Might and Magic Carpet, amirite?
urrite mate,it is the strongest spell in the game after all.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A guy gave me a quest to find what happened to his nephew or something, telling me he was an avid arcomage player. I thought it was a hint that I'd find a deck there on his body. I found his ring in a chest, but no deck. I turned in the quest and got a 5k gold reward, but no deck.

Where's the deck? I don't want a spoiler, just give me a hint.
you are supposed to find a deck where his bones are. The fact that you managed to complete this quest seem odd
Found no bones there... Maybe they're behind a hidden door or smth?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The ring in the chest was for another quest. Both quest-givers are in Harmondale so you may have mixed things up. The bones and deck are in another place you obviously haven't visited yet. If you have too much trouble finding the brat's corpse and his playing cards, I put their location in the spoiler below.

The bones and deck are somewhere in The white cliff caves.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom