Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dhampir is a really OP race in the tabletop.

They don't have to worry about ability drain or negative levels, they also get some pretty nifty save bonuses against a lot of things.

aboyd

Liturgist
People saying aasimar op are idiots they only getting the basic 2 cha wis which are worse then humans but Im sure most votes are cause of visual preference.

I'm not going to call those people idiots. They might know the math of it. Pathfinder uses a point system to rank each race's power. It was introduced in Advanced Race Guide. Each racial ability/power has a +/- point cost. Here they are for the races given to us:

• aasimar: 15 race points
  • dhampir: 11 race points
  • elemental races: 6 race points

The aasimar has so many abilities that it is more than double the points of the elemental races. You can see a lot of these races tallied up here.

Most races in the Core Rulebook have race points of 9 to 11. So the aasimar may not be OP in the sense of truly being over-powered, but it is clearly higher power than most of the other races we will see in the Kingmaker video game. It may be more powerful than all the other races -- I haven't kept track of which races they're using, but if it's only Core races, then aasimar is the clear winner.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
People saying aasimar op are idiots they only getting the basic 2 cha wis which are worse then humans but Im sure most votes are cause of visual preference.

I'm not going to call those people idiots. They might know the math of it. Pathfinder uses a point system to rank each race's power. It was introduced in Advanced Race Guide. Each racial ability/power has a +/- point cost. Here they are for the races given to us:

• aasimar: 15 race points
  • dhampir: 11 race points
  • elemental races: 6 race points

The aasimar has so many abilities that it is more than double the points of the elemental races. You can see a lot of these races tallied up here.

Most races in the Core Rulebook have race points of 9 to 11. So the aasimar may not be OP in the sense of truly being over-powered, but it is clearly higher power than most of the other races we will see in the Kingmaker video game. It may be more powerful than all the other races -- I haven't kept track of which races they're using, but if it's only Core races, then aasimar is the clear winner.
The point system is kind of useless,depending on the game and the player certain skills can be a lot more valuable than a point. If the game takes place mainly on the surface,then a drow will be kind of useless with all of its points.

aboyd

Liturgist
Of course player skill & environment factors in, but that wasn't what I was responding to. I've been playing D&D for 30 years. You could give me a kobold character (6 RP) or an oread (6 RP), and give a newbie player a drow noble (41 RP) and I will murder that new player's character, every time. The point system will not overcome my system mastery. Of course.

However, if there are two of me and one version is playing a kobold and the other version is playing an aasimar, then the system mastery issue is moot. Both versions of me have the exact same system mastery and the same tactical thoughts. So now it's down to race powers, and the aasimar should be superior in most cases. No, not every case ever, but exceptions don't disprove the bulk of the concept: most experiences will put the aasimar ahead.

And, since you're concerned with environment, we can talk about how the aasimar relates to Kingmaker specifically. I've played Kingmaker entirely, and I can assure you that aasimars are uniquely qualified to bend this adventure path over, and ream it up the ass. There is a reason why aasimar is winning in the poll, even though "elementals" would unlock four more races to play.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
For me it doesn't really mater,give me a human and i am a happy fag. When i chose race in a game,i never bother looking trough the bonuses and skills. I chose for the roleplay.

Elex

Arbiter
Dhampir is a really OP race in the tabletop.

They don't have to worry about ability drain or negative levels, they also get some pretty nifty save bonuses against a lot of things.
they have also a bonus with katana?

Elex

Arbiter
Of course player skill & environment factors in, but that wasn't what I was responding to. I've been playing D&D for 30 years. You could give me a kobold character (6 RP) or an oread (6 RP), and give a newbie player a drow noble (41 RP) and I will murder that new player's character, every time. The point system will not overcome my system mastery. Of course.

However, if there are two of me and one version is playing a kobold and the other version is playing an aasimar, then the system mastery issue is moot. Both versions of me have the exact same system mastery and the same tactical thoughts. So now it's down to race powers, and the aasimar should be superior in most cases. No, not every case ever, but exceptions don't disprove the bulk of the concept: most experiences will put the aasimar ahead.

And, since you're concerned with environment, we can talk about how the aasimar relates to Kingmaker specifically. I've played Kingmaker entirely, and I can assure you that aasimars are uniquely qualified to bend this adventure path over, and ream it up the ass. There is a reason why aasimar is winning in the poll, even though "elementals" would unlock four more races to play.
well in a game about being a king i suppose that wisdom and charisma will be usefull stat

Tao

Savant
I mean, why the fuck people want planars or elementals? those were done thousans of times already. And if i'm not mistaked Half-vampires are something unique from Pathfinder, it's it?

frajaq

Erudite
Is that a serious question? More options in character creation means more options for various character concepts that people may have

Tao

Savant
But when the choice is either the same ones or a new one never done before? What is there to choose?. Maybe i'm biased as fuck but i know for a fact that i already played crpgs as planars and elementals, but never as a half-vampire.

Sure i would like to be able to make all races, that's a no brainer but is not the point.

For me it is simple. From the pages linked in the update:

Aasimar:

Aasimar.jpg
Blood_of_Angels_cover.jpg

Dhampir:

Nosferatu-born_dhampir.jpg
Larsa.jpg

Yeah, I'm going with aasimar. Sure, the vamp chick is a little better, but the guy (?) looks like a total dweeb.

Madawc

Educated
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Sorry if this was asked before: shouldn't the users who contributed to the codex fundraiser be granted access to the backer portal? Or will we just receive the keys via e-mail around the game's release date?

Thanks!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorry if this was asked before: shouldn't the users who contributed to the codex fundraiser be granted access to the backer portal? Or will we just receive the keys via e-mail around the game's release date?

Thanks!

I believe they made backer portal accounts for our alpha backers. I don't think they did that for the beta backers (they were just emailed their keys), or for anyone else. The inconsistency sucks, but not sure it's worth bothering them about right now as long as everybody gets their keys. It'll matter later on when there are additional digital bonuses.

Madawc

Educated
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, I don't mind getting the key later, be it through e-mail or backer portal.
I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an additional step involving the backer portal that I somehow missed.

Elex

Arbiter
But when the choice is either the same ones or a new one never done before? What is there to choose?. Maybe i'm biased as fuck but i know for a fact that i already played crpgs as planars and elementals, but never as a half-vampire.

Sure i would like to be able to make all races, that's a no brainer but is not the point.
and what interaction with NPC a dhampir will have?

a single different dialogue line or more?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom