Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II expansion DLCs revealed

Ruzen

Savant
If it sells well. Expect "Most Wanted DLC" Random pirates ships roaming the sea.
:shredder:

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, that's interesting. Again, a single big expansion is always superior, but if they can match the quality of the FNV ones that wouldn't be so bad.

aratuk

Cipher
But can they really do something substantial at 2 month intervals? How long did FNV ones take?

Release intervals don't have to totally coincide with development intervals, either. I don't want to give their master plan too much credit, but that's probably what they believe to be a good marketing cadence to prolong press attention & maximize sales. We'll see how well they adhere to the schedule.

Danlok

Novice
The variety is good; I'd rather have more unique settings and side quests than an additional story heavy plot line in the middle of the main game. Post game expansions would have also been good. The White March distracted from the main story with Thaos and the leaden key.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Obsidian has a great track record with expansion content/DLC, with the exception of the Tyranny DLC, where Paradox was involved and all the content was made by their B-team. White March was the best part of Pillars; NV DLC was great, MoTB speaks for itself and while SoZ ain't perfect, it was a substantial improvement over the NWN2 OC.

Of all the reasons to doubt Deadfire, getting three medium sized mid-game expansions within months of the game's release date should be pretty low on the list. Obsidian has fucked up in many ways over the years, but they actually know how to make good DLC (and WM was done without Avellone so it's not like they lost this ability when he left).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Buy a new car today, comes fully functional with one wheel attached.

We live in a bizarro retardo world.
hate all you want, all obsidian DLC (with exception of tyranny because oh paradox)
are like buying custom leather seat or surround sound for an already complete car.
It
Is always a new, decently meaty content that doesnt make the main module subtracted or incomplete in any way mostly.

The only one i find crappy is barik and sirin's storyline in paid DLC

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
A car you can buy with the extras.

Now imagine buying a car but having to wait 12 months to get the leather seats. And not to mention that it is not a car you drive every day, but rather a car you drive once or twice.

A pretty solid way to curb one's enthusiasm. Having a pre-release expansion DLC strategy is telling the customer to wait rather than buy the game as it is now. What do they hope to achieve with this?

Quantomas

Savant
With Obsidian announcing the DLC before release, we will possibly get good data to gauge whether midgame expansions deter sales. There is little risk for Obsidian, with the last DLC making the release complete just before Christmas.

Quillon

Arcane
I think they just wanna hype the release rather than sell DLC, a good launch is better than any DLC sale.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Josh Seeker
lu8blM8.jpg

Josh Slayer
tumblr_inline_ornznp1Jzr1s0nvie_500.jpg

Josh Survivor
images

I loled

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom